john27000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My answers are probably not that great so please contribute

1 a) circle the R group (1)

The entire top part is the R group

b) What does this conclude about the chemical properties of component X and leu?(1)

ans. leu is more soluble than component X/ leu is more polar than component X

c) 1.5cm away from origin (plotted on diagram) (3)

d) What material is used in the stationary phase (1)
ans. aluminium oxide or silica gel or cellulose

e) Where is the exact location of photosynthetic pigments in the chloroplasts?(2)
ans. It is present in the photosystem of thylakoids

f) Difference between electrophoresis and chromatography (3)
Electrophoresis uses cathode and anode, chromatography doesnt
Electrophoresis uses aragose gel where as chromatography uses silica gel
Electrophoresis takes longer than chromatography

Now i don't know the order of questions so save me

Maths question 1:- 800% increase = 8550 kJ(2)
Maths question 2:- 11% (2)
Maths question 3:- hardy Weinberg 2% (3)
Maths question 4:- serial dilution ( how was that worth only 2 marks)
Protein structures:- secondary, quaternary, primary, tertiary (2)

What does this suggest about the antibody structure and what does the antibody binds to? (2)
Antibody binds to another molecule other than gliadin and hence the variable region is complimentary to another molecule

6 marker on the student measure heart rate and then calcualting student t test:- (6)

Same Significant figures throughout the table- making the student t test more reliable
Same time of the day, as the day goes by the temperature increases in the afternoon. rate of respiration is affected by temperature and hence affects the heart rate indirectly.
Ask for asthama- could produce anomalous result
Smaller intervals- every 200m making the data more accurate
Do repeats etc
Use suitable units in the table

What type of adaptation were the striped tiger furs? (1)
Structural adaptation/ Anatomical adaptation

6 marker on how striped tigers mutated from non striped:- (6)

Striped tigers were put under selection pressure and this led to a random mutation in the allele which gave the phenotype of striped tigers. As tigers have interspecific and intraspecific competition for food, the striped tigers were able to camouflage with the nature very well and hence had a higher success rate with their prey. This lead to out competing the non striped tigers and the striped tigers were able to survive and reproduce. Over several generations the population of non striped decreased and the allele frequency decrease of non striped decreased in the gene pool. This is also known as natural selection

Student doing experiment on effect of temperature on rate of respiration and evaluating if his experiment gives valid results (3)
He did repeats hence making it valid.
He had suitable interval of 5 degrees and 6 data to be able to compare and see the trend
The ph was the measurement of H+ in oxidative phosphorylation and hence the results should be valid

The critical value was more than the given value ( or vice versa) and hence there was no no significant difference in the mean

Autoimmune disease attacking nervous system (2)
Immune system attacks the cells of the nervous system i,e the neurons and since neurons are already differentiated, they cannot be replicated and hence the damage is permanent. The immune system does this by detecting the antigen of neurons as foreign.

Look at the figure and suggest how the autoimmune disease causes the slow movement of impulse? (2)
Myelin sheath is removed in the affected neuron and hence this stops the saltatory conduction from happening leading to leaks in the flow of action potential.

The symptoms only showed in MC and not the other one?(2)

1. Paralysis??
2. lack of reflex action?

How does the autoimmune disease cause change in neuromuscular junction? (2)
????

Explain and suggest the changes happening due to factors and type of respiration? (3)
The yeast is respiring anaerobically and rate is very fast
This leads to lack of glucose molecule and cumulation of ethanol.
The yeast starts converting ethanol into acetyl coA and at around 8h aerobic respiration starts
The CO2 production hits 0 at around 8h but rises after words due to decarboxylation of carbons in krebs cycle as coA enters Kreb.

The Nitrogen cycle (4)

Plant roots,
NO2- goes to NO3-
NO3- goes to N2 and
the last bacteria was in air

The enzyme diagram (4)

CO was non competitive inhibitor as it binds to alosteric site and this can change the shape of the active site
H was competitive inhibitor with N2 being the actual substrate
Iron and sulfur were prosthetic groups

Leghaemoglobin (2)

Point 1:- Has high affinity of oxygen and hence changes the rate of nitrogenous.
Point 2:- ???

What should you do to make sure that the culture is in best conditions for replication? (2)

Sterilize the area and make sure that the area doesn't contain any other microbes. Heat up the inoculating loop before culturing the bacteria

How are the insect tracheal increase surface area for gas exchange? (1)

They have a lot of spiracles and can removed tracheal fluid to increase the surface area for diffusion

How are fish gills adapted to increase the surface area for gas exchange? (1)

Gills have lamellae which increases surface area

Fill in the blank

Goblet cells, noradrenaline, diaphragm, forced
jstubbs99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by john27000)
My answers are probably not that great so please contribute

1 a) circle the R group (1)

k

NH2---- C----COOH

Where k is the R group ( it was pretty big)
b) What does this conclude about the chemical properties of component X and leu?(1)

ans. leu is more soluble than component X/ leu is more polar than component X

c) 1.5cm away from origin (plotted on diagram) (3)

d) What material is used in the stationary phase (1)
ans. alluminium hydroxide or silica gel

e) Where is the exact location of photosynthetic pigments in the chloroplasts?(2)
ans. It is present in the photosystem of thylakoids

f) Difference between electrophoresis and chromatography (3)
Electrophoresis uses cathode and anode, chromatography doesnt
Electrophoresis uses aragose gel where as chromatography uses silica gel
Electrophoresis takes longer than chromatography

Now i don't know the order of questions so save me

Maths question 1:- 800% increase= 7.6x10^3 (2)
Maths question 2:- 13% (2)
Maths question 3:- hardy Weinberg 0.02% (3)
Maths question 4:- serial dilution ( how was that worth only 2 marks)
Protein structures:- secondary, quaternary, primary, tertiary (2)

What does this suggest about the antibody structure and what does the antibody binds to? (2)
Antibody binds to another molecule other than gliadin and hence the variable region is complimentary to another molecule

6 marker on the student measure heart rate and then calcualting student t test:- (6)

Same Significant figures throughout the table- making the student t test more reliable
Same time of the day, as the day goes by the temperature increases in the afternoon. rate of respiration is affected by temperature and hence affects the heart rate indirectly.
Ask for asthama- could produce anomalous result
Smaller intervals- every 200m making the data more accurate
Do repeats etc
Use suitable units in the table

What type of adaptation were the striped tiger furs? (1)
Physiological adaptation

6 marker on how striped tigers mutated from non striped:- (6)

Striped tigers were put under selection pressure and this led to a random mutation in the allele which gave the phenotype of striped tigers. As tigers have interspecific and intraspecific competition for food, the striped tigers were able to camouflage with the nature very well and hence had a higher success rate with their prey. This lead to out competing the non striped tigers and the striped tigers were able to survive and reproduce. Over several generations the population of non striped decreased and the allele frequency decrease of non striped decreased in the gene pool. This is also known as natural selection

Student doing experiment on effect of temperature on rate of respiration and evaluating if his experiment gives valid results (3)
He did repeats hence making it valid.
He had suitable interval of 5 degrees and 6 data to be able to compare and see the trend
The ph was the measurement of H+ in oxidative phosphorylation and hence the results should be valid

The critical value was more than the given value ( or vice versa) and hence there was no no significant difference in the mean

Autoimmune disease attacking nervous system (2)
Immune system attacks the cells of the nervous system i,e the neurons and since neurons are already differentiated, they cannot be replicated and hence the damage is permanent. The immune system does this by detecting the antigen of neurons as foreign.

Look at the figure and suggest how the autoimmune disease causes the slow movement of impulse? (2)
Myelin sheath is removed in the affected neuron and hence this stops the saltatory conduction from happening leading to leaks in the flow of action potential.

The symptoms only showed in MC and not the other one?(2)

1. Paralysis??
2. lack of reflex action?

How does the autoimmune disease cause change in neuromuscular junction? (2)
????

Explain and suggest the changes happening due to factors and type of respiration? (3)
The yeast is respiring anaerobically and rate is very fast
This leads to lack of glucose molecule and cumulation of ethanol.
The yeast starts converting ethanol into acetyl coA and at around 8h aerobic respiration starts
The CO2 production hits 0 at around 8h but rises after words due to decarboxylation of carbons in krebs cycle as coA enters Kreb.

The Nitrogen cycle (4)

Plant roots,
NO2- goes to NO3-
NO3- goes to N2 and
the last bacteria was in air

The enzyme diagram (4)

CO was non competitive inhibitor as it binds to alosteric site and this can change the shape of the active site
H was competitive inhibitor with N2 being the actual substrate
Iron and sulfur were prosthetic groups

Leghaemoglobin (2)

Point 1:- Has high affinity of oxygen and hence changes the rate of nitrogenous.
Point 2:- ???

What should you do to make sure that the culture is in best conditions for replication? (2)

Sterilize the area and make sure that the area doesn't contain any other microbes. Heat up the inoculating loop before culturing the bacteria
It is aluminium oxide (Al2O3) not hydroxide for the material
Adaptation is either Physical or Anatomical not Physiological
jstubbs99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  Leucine.gif
Views: 890
Size:  2.1 KB
Top part is R group
(Original post by jstubbs99)
fw431
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't remember the last question you listed, where in the paper was it, hopefully I'm just having a forgetful moment xD
john27000
Rep:
?
Name:  Leucine.gif
Views: 890
Size:  2.1 KB
Top part is R group
Thx added that
student0299
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fw431)
I don't remember the last question you listed, where in the paper was it, hopefully I'm just having a forgetful moment xD
Yeah I don't remember seeing this either :// did I miss out a question?!
fw431
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by student0299)
I have a feeling it could be the question with the yeast where is asks for two factors which would need to be considered so it successfully grew?
Tuffyandtab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hardy-Weinberg was 2% and pretty certain it was 11% and not 13% along with 8550 kJm-2yr-2 (since it was 800% greater than 950).
Tuffyandtab
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Other answers can be found at this unofficial markscheme:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Tuffyandtab
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
q^2 = 1/10000
q = 0.01
p = 1 - 0.01 = 0.99
2pq = 2 x 0.99 x 0.01 = 0.0198
0.0198 * 100 = 1.98% but 1 sig fig so 2%
john27000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tuffyandtab)
Hardy-Weinberg was 2% and pretty certain it was 11% and not 13% along with 8550 kJm-2yr-2 (since it was 800% greater than 950).
See my working if it makes you understand how i got there
Haydn77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by student0299)
It was like right at the end of the paper before the word fill
studentsixth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by john27000)
See my working if it makes you understand how i got there
It's 11%
Haydn77
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could you definitely have physical? Cos I put that and then was worried that I got that one wrong
ashly.alava
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Other answers here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post72431104
ashly.alava
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Haydn77)
Could you definitely have physical? Cos I put that and then was worried that I got that one wrong
I wrote physical too, let's just hope they will accept that :crossedf::crossedf::crossedf:
fw431
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Haydn77)
It was like right at the end of the paper before the word fill
Ahh ok, I did the fill in the blanks, probably just missed those 2 marks then, oh well
unknown.123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do you think an C grade would be. I think I got like 30/70 in this paper which is really bad. I just didn't understand what the questions were asking me
Milliemerlin
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For the fish gills one I couldn't remember the name lamellae and thought it would be stupid to write 'they're shaped like tentacles' or something so I put 'gills are arranged in an arc' then drew a little picture haha. Does anyone know if drawings get marks for a question like that, on the off chance!?!
amyfoster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
exactly same here and i also need a C
(Original post by unknown.123)
What do you think an C grade would be. I think I got like 30/70 in this paper which is really bad. I just didn't understand what the questions were asking me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (151)
60.4%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.6%

Watched Threads