The Student Room Group

What should I expect in my English and Maths diagnostics?

In a couple of weeks time I have my English and Maths diagnostics at my college. What should I expect? Is it likely to be a written exam or a speaking one? What types of questions will there be?

(Also, not sure if this information is helpful, but everyone going to my college has to take part. It essentially just decides if you'd need some extra tutoring throughout the two years at college)
Original post by CabbageMan
In a couple of weeks time I have my English and Maths diagnostics at my college. What should I expect? Is it likely to be a written exam or a speaking one? What types of questions will there be?

(Also, not sure if this information is helpful, but everyone going to my college has to take part. It essentially just decides if you'd need some extra tutoring throughout the two years at college)

Some colleges use an on line assesment system from BKSB. It asks you loads of questions to determine what level you are at and recommend what extra help you might need. Most people who don't get a C or 4 at gcse come out at entry level 3 (need a lot of work) or level 1 (close to gcse achievement).
Others colleges use simple paper based tests and a free writing task to assess your current capability. They are usually around the level of gcse grade C skill.
You could ask them how the test will be conducted and ask for advice on how to prepare.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Some colleges use an on line assesment system from BKSB. It asks you loads of questions to determine what level you are at and recommend what extra help you might need. Most people who don't get a C or 4 at gcse come out at entry level 3 (need a lot of work) or level 1 (close to gcse achievement).
Others colleges use simple paper based tests and a free writing task to assess your current capability. They are usually around the level of gcse grade C skill.
You could ask them how the test will be conducted and ask for advice on how to prepare.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest