The Student Room Group

Girls, How do you like guys to dress?

Do you like guys to dress like Justin Bieber for example?
Ryan Gosling?

What type of style do you find attractive?
I'm sure someone will say 'their own style' but that's not true, if he only wanted to wear duct tape or something stupid. No matter how they dress it will be their own style because of how their body is and the clothes they buy.

So, what style do you like?

Scroll to see replies

I am male and I would say dressing in clothes would be essential when in public. Also, try not to use people as examples as they probably wear different things all the time.
Like that model above, that user posted
Original post by seanf999
Ryan Gosling?

I'm sure someone will say 'their own style' but that's not true, if he only wanted to wear duct tape or something stupid. No matter how they dress it will be their own style because of how their body is and the clothes they buy.

Men who wear ripped jeans look pathetic, only girls should wear them plus it's so 80's, I'm surprised they don't wear fingerless gloves too ( Nick Kershaw) but even worse are men who wear ripped jeans on a date.
I don't like the way Justin Bieber dresses either
I like the Ryan Gosling look. Men who dress smart like wearing a shirt and nice black suit trousers really turn me on because they made an effort not like men nowadays who have the cheek to turn up on a date wearing tracksuit bottoms and trainers, that's the unemployed look
Original post by Judge Jules
Men who wear ripped jeans look pathetic, only girls should wear them plus it's so 80's, I'm surprised they don't wear fingerless gloves too ( Nick Kershaw) but even worse are men who wear ripped jeans on a date.
I like the Ryan Gosling look. Men who dress smart like wearing a shirt and nice black suit trousers really turn me on because they made an effort not like men nowadays who have the cheek to turn up on a date wearing tracksuit bottoms and trainers, that's the unemployed look

I guess it's just personal preference but why should girls be the only ones to wear ripped jeans and not guys lol??
Reply 5

You're seriously limiting how someone can dress to clean cut business casual Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love, but to be honest that's idiotic, not everyone feels like wearing a OCBD.
Not to mention it doesn't fit every situation, or in the case of a young adult or teen it doesn't work in most situations.

I personally like that style, it looks well put together but I would only wear it when the occasion calls for it.
Otherwise I'll stick to the 'unemployment look', considering that is otherwise known as casual, and not business casual incase you're going to happen upon that confusion.
Raw
Reply 7
Original post by squirrology
I find a basic style fairly attractive on guys:

Probably like this:

OR

The shoes the guy is wearing in the second photo cost something like £550..
But yeah I agree, I don't see too many guys dress like that.
jeans and t shirt, shorts and shirt
The shoes the guy is wearing in the second photo cost something like £550..
But yeah I agree, I don't see too many guys dress like that.

Wow £550???? Damn that is a bit much for shoes but he does look good in them.
Sorry to be harsh, but if you're a man and want to develop a sense of style then asking women is going the wrong way about it. It appears simple at first - you're a man and want to attract women. Plus women generally pay more attention to fashion than men. So it's a no-brainer, right?

It's not as simple as that. Firstly, because women don't wear men's clothes, I wouldn't take style criticism off the average woman. I'd use a website such as Fashionbeans, Styleforum or Ask Andy. Or I'd ask style-discerning friends. This sounds harsh as well, but it is logical, because stylish men usually rely on a small number of very versatile and timeless items because of the limited outfit options available to them, whereas women, with much more varied options, tend to have much more individual items of clothing available to them with higher turnover, focusing on trends.

For example, both of the above photos show a man in ripped jeans. This is a fad that I'm praying will be gone in the next couple of years. If you buy a pair of selvedge slim fit jeans instead, they will still be stylish long after those ripped horrors have disappeared.

Secondly, a stylish man looks effortlessly put together, as if he has not tried. This comes partially down to personality too - if your outfit is simple and you have a confident personality, people are more likely to compliment you for being well dressed. Asking a member of the opposite sex how to "dress" shows insecurity that will not be fixed by taking advice blindly rather than thinking for yourself.

Hope you found this constructive - don't mean to cause offence at all.

See an FAQ I posed back in 2012 here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2114117
(edited 6 years ago)
You're seriously limiting how someone can dress to clean cut business casual Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love, but to be honest that's idiotic, not everyone feels like wearing a OCBD.
Not to mention it doesn't fit every situation, or in the case of a young adult or teen it doesn't work in most situations.

I personally like that style, it looks well put together but I would only wear it when the occasion calls for it.
Otherwise I'll stick to the 'unemployment look', considering that is otherwise known as casual, and not business casual incase you're going to happen upon that confusion.

So you're asking for other people's opinions but insulting me when I give mine by saying it's idiotic. I'm not limiting how anybody dresses as nobody is going to change their style of dress just because of what I said.
I'm just saying men should make an effort to look smart and not like a tramp or chav especially if they are single and want to approach girls and impress them but if they already have a partner then they can dress like a slob and it's up to the girl their with to express whether they like that look or not.
Looking smart doesn't mean you have to wear a shirt either
Original post by rockrunride
Sorry to be harsh, but if you're a man and want to develop a sense of style then asking women is going the wrong way about it. It appears simple at first - you're a man and want to attract women. Plus women generally pay more attention to fashion than men. So it's a no-brainer, right?

It's not as simple as that. Firstly, because women don't wear men's clothes, I wouldn't take style criticism off the average woman. I'd use a website such as Fashionbeans, Styleforum or Ask Andy. Or I'd ask style-discerning friends. This sounds harsh as well, but it is logical, because stylish men usually rely on a small number of very versatile and timeless items because of the limited outfit options available to them, whereas women, with much more varied options, tend to have much more individual items of clothing available to them with higher turnover, focusing on trends.

For example, both of the above photos show a man in ripped jeans. This is a fad that I'm praying will be gone in the next couple of years. If you buy a pair of selvedge slim fit jeans instead, they will still be stylish long after those ripped horrors have disappeared.

Secondly, a stylish man looks effortlessly put together, as if he has not tried. This comes partially down to personality too - if your outfit is simple and you have a confident personality, people are more likely to compliment you for being well dressed. Asking a member of the opposite sex how to "dress" shows insecurity that will not be fixed by taking advice blindly rather than thinking for yourself.

Hope you found this constructive - don't mean to cause offence at all.

See an FAQ I posed back in 2012 here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2114117

Omg, that's so sexist to say a woman's opinion is not important when giving opinions about men's clothes. Of course women's opinions on how men dress are just as as valid as sometimes they are the one's dating them
Some women prefer to wear men's clothes, some women even choose clothes for men to wear
Reply 13
So you're asking for other people's opinions but insulting me when I give mine by saying it's idiotic. I'm not limiting how anybody dresses as nobody is going to change their style of dress just because of what I said.
I'm just saying men should make an effort to look smart and not like a tramp or chav especially if they are single and want to approach girls and impress them but if they already have a partner then they can dress like a slob and it's up to the girl their with to express whether they like that look or not.
Looking smart doesn't mean you have to wear a shirt either

I'm just saying it's stupid to limit 'what looks good' to what sounds like business casual.

I can assure you most of those guys (the ones pictured above and a lot of instagram accounts) put a lot of time, effort and money into how they look, and they wear ripped jeans, baggy t shirts, and a pair of trainers.
Reply 14
Guys don't need to spend much to look good, they can just get away with a designer tee (Ralph Lauren, etc) and 'designer' trainers (Adidas, Nike). I personally feel like tracksuits and bomber jackets just make guys look unoriginal and chav-like. Please ignore the ripped jeans. Whoever said 'business casual' above, they are one hundred percent on it! That is the kind of style that will attract the right girl - it looks smart and very put together, but not too formal. This kind of style does it for me:

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Why not?
I even like boy make up
Reply 16
I find a basic style fairly attractive on guys:

Probably like this:

OR

I hope you are trolling, there is nothing basic or standard about the criminal in the second pic.
Omg, that's so sexist to say a woman's opinion is not important when giving opinions about men's clothes. Of course women's opinions on how men dress are just as as valid as sometimes they are the one's dating them
Some women prefer to wear men's clothes, some women even choose clothes for men to wear

Women's opinions on how men dress are indeed both valid and important. Compliments are important, for example. I melt inside if a lass I like says she thinks my shoes are nice. That's part of being human.

However it does not mean carte blanche. If a man wishes to seek a sense of "style", under no circumstances should he be walking into a room and asking a female stranger how to dress from head to foot. The average woman is not versed in men's style. Many women do wear men's clothes - but the average woman does not conform to the male dress code.

If you wanted to learn French, and a native and non-native tutor were both available for the same price, which would you choose?
(edited 6 years ago)
Ryan Gosling?

Comfy but not scruffy or smart but not suits everyday.
Reply 19
To be honest, I do not know who he is, I simply just did a Google image search on guys wearing casual wear and those images appeared. Apologies if I've offended.

I don't know him but he is dressed as a criminal and drug addict.

Latest

Trending

Trending