This discussion is closed.
Mesuteyezil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everyone, I've just completed my A-level here in the UK and I had earlier applied to a university in my home country of Sweden. The general requirement for my course is BBC at A-level or equivalent ( which is the Swedish Hogskola )... I don't find it fair because A-level is wayyy harder than the Swedish system- I'd say Swedish High school is ALMOST similar to Advanced Subsidiary ( year 12 ). Could anyone help me out please? And does anyone know how the grading works?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mesuteyezil)
Hello everyone, I've just completed my A-level here in the UK and I had earlier applied to a university in my home country of Sweden. The general requirement for my course is BBC at A-level or equivalent ( which is the Swedish Hogskola )... I don't find it fair because A-level is wayyy harder than the Swedish system- I'd say Swedish High school is ALMOST similar to Advanced Subsidiary ( year 12 ). Could anyone help me out please? And does anyone know how the grading works?
If you've already completed your A levels, why would you want to do the Swedish equivalent of A levels (Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan)? That doesn't make sense.
Maivnek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unless the specific course you're interested in offers alternate paths of entry (e.g. a specific test), they most likely wont admitt you without meeting the A-level requirement. If your Swedish is good, you can take "Högskoleprovet" (a test) and use these results for entry into *any* Swedish course. However, to take the test, you must sign up for it very early and the whole process of signing up for and taking the test takes half a year.

Using the "Högskoleprovet" results, means your grades probably won't be taken into consideration. There will still be a general requirement to have finished upper-secondary school and have done x amount of hours in x subjects (usually). 33.3% to 66.7% (depending on course) of places are given to those applying with "Högskoleprovet" results.

There is a Swedish school in London offering "Högskoleprovet" for anyone wishing to take it.
http://www.swedishschool.org.uk/star...ogskoleprovet/

If your A-level grades are inadequate, you can either find another course or do "Högskoleprovet" and achieve at minimum the score required for entry into the course you're interested in.

Also, some individual module courses can be more flexible when it comes to admissions.

What course are you interested in? And at what university?
Mesuteyezil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
If you've already completed your A levels, why would you want to do the Swedish equivalent of A levels (Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan)? That doesn't make sense.
I believe you haven't understood my question. I simply need to know the equivalent of A-levels in Sweden... that way, I can know whether to apply with my AS or A2 ( I want to apply with my AS since they will most probably be better than my A2 results )
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
I believe you haven't understood my question. I simply need to know the equivalent of A-levels in Sweden... that way, I can know whether to apply with my AS or A2 ( I want to apply with my AS since they will most probably be better than my A2 results )
You apply with your A2.
Maivnek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no one true A-level Swedish equivalence. It all boils down to the particular university you're applying to. If your uni asks for BBC then that's their equivalence to their Swedish entry grades and the only ones you'll need to worry about.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
You apply with your A2.
Perhaps it is similar to the situation in Scotland with EU applicants often having higher requirements due to low/free tuition fees? So UK applicants to Sweden have higher requirements than locals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Perhaps it is similar to the situation in Scotland with EU applicants often having higher requirements due to low/free tuition fees? So UK applicants to Sweden have higher requirements than locals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, that is a possibility I suppose, I've never really thought about it before.

As I understand the Swedish admission system, UK students need to meet some basic minimum entry requirements (at least 2 full A levels and 3 GCSEs), but universities can (and do) place extra requirements on top of that. Realistically speaking the OP will probably need 3 A levels.

https://www.universityadmissions.se/...thern-Ireland/
Maivnek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Well, both Swedish and EU citizens are exempt from fees so I doubt UK would have to pay tuition. So the universities should probably make the requirements equal.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maivnek)
Well, both Swedish and EU citizens are exempt from fees so I doubt UK would have to pay tuition. So the universities should probably make the requirements equal.
No my point is that, for example, in Scotland there are no fees for EU applicants either but their entry requirements are often higher than for local applicants because the free places are capped so they effectively prioritise local or fee-paying applicants. it's just a theory, I've no idea if it also holds in Sweden.
Maivnek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No my point is that, for example, in Scotland there are no fees for EU applicants either but their entry requirements are often higher than for local applicants because the free places are capped so they effectively prioritise local or fee-paying applicants. it's just a theory, I've no idea if it also holds in Sweden.
Well I know Scottish unis prioritise English applicants due to their higher fees, but as Scottish applicants share the same fees as EU applicants they should be equally prioritised.

I know this is a thing in Sweden for international applicants, as they pay quite a hefty tuition, thus given priority over locals, but as neither Swedish nor EU citizens pay any fees I don't think EU citizens are given more or less priority over locals.

Unless, it's got nothing to do with fees and just about giving locals priority because they're local... probably not to do with brexit either...
mildhan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know this is late, but my reply may help other people who want the same question answered.
The UHR handbook clearly states what you need to apply to university in Sweden and the a level equivalence to the Swedish system. Here's a link: https://bedomningshandboken.uhr.se/u...es-nordirland/

To apply with only AS grades it appears that you would need to use 6 AS grades. There are other combinations as well where you can use mixtures A2 grades, AS grades and GCSEs for what is called "grundläggande behörighet". Just read through the handbook in the link above, everything is clearly explained. For most subjects, GCSE is actually enough, you just need to have a A levels as GCSEs aren't really a complete 'high school diploma'.

UHR and antagning.se (the Swedish equivalent of UCAS) are responsible for assessing foreign certificates, and not individual universities (just to clear that up). If you have any questions about requirements and applying to Sweden with A-levels, you need to contact antagning.se. I recommend calling or emailing them if you are unsure about anything.

If you plan on studying a course in Swedish, you will also need to take the TISUS test, which can be done in the UK.
mildhan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doones)
Just clearing this up as well, in case anybody comes onto this thread asking the same questions.

Entry requirements are the same irregardless of where you are from for any course in Sweden. They do not prioritise anybody over anyone else or applicants who pay fees. In Sweden you apply through antagning.se and rank your university choices from first to last. Admittance is purely based on how many points you receive in the Swedish point system (a bit like UCAS Tariff points), and those with the highest points are given an offer. There are no personal statements, or interviews (for most courses and depends on if you apply through high school grades or högskoleprovet). Much simpler and more straightforward than the UK.
Hhh22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I don't know if people would reply to me since with topic was closed to years ago But I have a question does swedish universities check gcse maths and English
mildhan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hhh22)
Hi I don't know if people would reply to me since with topic was closed to years ago But I have a question does swedish universities check gcse maths and English
Yes they will, unless you do a level maths and english.
Yasmeenghanem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good afternoon I’m an international student that wants to go to university in Sweden but I’m still in grade 11 so I was wondering how many Igcse A-levels are required for me to enter ?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (15)
18.07%

Watched Threads