The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics S2 26th June 2017 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

3a) E(X) was 22.5 because it was in 'tens of hours'. Missed by many, will only cost 1 mark if you left it as 2.25
Original post by CameronPhillips
3a) E(X) was 22.5 because it was in 'tens of hours'. Missed by many, will only cost 1 mark if you left it as 2.25

Shite. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Jamvicious
Think you need to square your answer to 3c as you needed both batteries to still be working for the radio to be working, and i'm pretty sure 6e was 11/24

Bugger, I'll edit my post.
can't remember what the question asked, maybe 2.25 is ok tho?
Pretty sure it just asked for E(x) which is 2.25. Because the variable is in tens of hours itself, that's what X is measuring, so you shouldn't times by 10, you're working something else out by doing that.
Original post by CaiusMartius
Pretty sure it just asked for E(x) which is 2.25. Because the variable is in tens of hours itself, that's what X is measuring, so you shouldn't times by 10, you're working something else out by doing that.

Hmmm, you may be right. It did also say "by integration" so I can kind of imply that the value you get when using the integration is the value you use... who knows? I'll edit my post again.
Original post by plklupu
Hmmm, you may be right. It did also say "by integration" so I can kind of imply that the value you get when using the integration is the value you use... who knows? I'll edit my post again.

I mean it depends on whether it asked for E(x) or the mean battery life or whatever. If E(x) then 2.25, if mean battery life than 22.5
Yes I doubke checked this in the exam. They asked for E(X) and X was distributed in tens of hours, so although the mean was 22.5 the expected value of X still remains as 2.25
Anyone know how many marks the questions were ?
Original post by plklupu

2) b) 5 minutes (That's the most common answer on the discussion thread - if somebody could write a decent concise method, I'll be glad to edit it in)
Method:
X ~ Po(2.5t/60), where t is the number of minutes
P(X = 0) = 1 - 0.2
e^-(2.5t/60) = 0.8
-2.5t/60 = ln0.8
t = -60/2.5 * ln0.8 = 5.355
so to the nearest minute the answer is 5.
[Note:]

A lot of people mistakenly got 38 from using ln0.2 - this can be shown to be wrong by common sense. The average rate was 2.5 calls per hour, which is one call every 24 minutes. So the probability that there are no calls in 38 minutes would definitely be more than 20% (in fact, it's 80%).

3) c) P(X>2.5)/P(X>1/6) = 125/256 (This answer might need squaring, as it is to do with 2 batteries: this would result in 0.2384)
I'm sure the two batteries bit was the previous part, and I got 125/256 so I think that's correct.

6) e) I got F(5.5) - F(4) as E(X) was 4, by symmetry. This got me 0.7583, but as someone pointed out, it has to be less than 0.5. Their answer was 0.4, while someone else got 11/24.
My answer was 11/24. Note that P(X < E(X)) = 0.5 by definition, so you don't need to calculate E(X). F(5.5) = 23/24 and 23/24 - 1/2 = 11/24.

Original post by CameronPhillips
It's a good point but while we're being pedantic, E(X) = 2.25 is correct; the mean is 22.5 hours but the expected value of the statistic is 9/4. Since the question asked for E(X), I can't imagine people will lose marks for this; but conversely, getting a value of 2.25 and then saying "so mean battery life is 22.5 hours" is also perfectly fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
is there any chance of knowing the mark allocations to each question
I really messed up this paper😭 it's so hard to remember with stats what i got and my calculator only goes back a few values, just hoping i've got over 70 UMS, any ideas how many marks that would be?
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Method:
P(X = 0) = 1 - 0.2
e^-(2.5t/60) = 0.8
-2.5t/60 = ln0.8

A lot of people mistakenly got 38 from using ln0.2 - this can be shown to be wrong by common sense. The average rate was 2.5 calls per hour, which is one call every 24 minutes. So the probability that there are no calls in 38 minutes would definitely be more than 20% (in fact, it's 80%).

I'm sure the two batteries bit was the previous part, and I got 125/256 so I think that's correct.

My answer was 11/24. Note that P(X < E(X)) = 0.5 by definition, so you don't need to calculate E(X). F(5.5) = 23/24 and 23/24 - 1/2 = 11/24.

It's a good point but while we're being pedantic, E(X) = 2.25 is correct; the mean is 22.5 hours but the expected value of the statistic is 9/4. Since the question asked for E(X), I can't imagine people will lose marks for this; but conversely, getting a value of 2.25 and then saying "so mean battery life is 22.5 hours" is also perfectly fine.

Thanks for all of that, you seem to have an impeccable grasp of Stats.
Original post by mollie1711
I really messed up this paper😭 it's so hard to remember with stats what i got and my calculator only goes back a few values, just hoping i've got over 70 UMS, any ideas how many marks that would be?

I'm predicting: 70 for 90UMS, 65 for 80UMS and 58 for 70 UMS
Note that P(X < E(X)) = 0.5 by definition

Its entirely possible I misread the question, so maybe idk
Isn't that the definition of the median not E(X), it only works in this case as its symmetrical
(edited 6 years ago)
Method:
P(X = 0) = 1 - 0.2
e^-(2.5t/60) = 0.8
-2.5t/60 = ln0.8

I think for the batteries part, you had to square your answer for P(X>1/6), as that was found for 1 battery and you needed for two, and then divide the answer of the previous question with the obtained answer?
3c you have to square because its 2 batteries, it did say for the radio
Isn't that the definition of the median, it only works in this case as its symmetrical
I think you're right actually; good catch. I just happened to get lucky then.
Can someone do a mark scheme for the replacement questions please
Isn't that the definition of the median not E(X), it only works in this case as its symmetrical

Yeah, you may be right about that "definition" thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending