greenapple10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have currently taken C1,C2,S1,M1,D1,FP1 as part of AS maths and furthermaths.( yet to receive results)

I will be continuing both next year and i will be doing the following modules for sure : C3,C4,FP2,FP3,S2. Which leaves me with a choice between S3/M2. (D2 Is out of the picture)

If i was to choose M2 i would be taught it and it would be a timetabled lesson.
However, if i were to choose S3 i would have to basically self teach along with webinar support from FMSP.

Ideally i would prefer to do S3 but i am worried weather i would have to complete S2 before S3 which will leave me less time for S3.

I would also like to know weather S3 is heavily dependent on S2.

My exam board is Edexcel.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by greenapple10)
I have currently taken C1,C2,S1,M1,D1,FP1 as part of AS maths and furthermaths.( yet to receive results)

I will be continuing both next year and i will be doing the following modules for sure : C3,C4,FP2,FP3,S2. Which leaves me with a choice between S3/M2. (D2 Is out of the picture)

If i was to choose M2 i would be taught it and it would be a timetabled lesson.
However, if i were to choose S3 i would have to basically self teach along with webinar support from FMSP.

Ideally i would prefer to do S3 but i am worried weather i would have to complete S2 before S3 which will leave me less time for S3.

I would also like to know weather S3 is heavily dependent on S2.

My exam board is Edexcel.
S3 picks out distribution work from S2, so stuff like normal distribution used as a basis for distribution of mean etc, S3 and S4 heavily feature hypothesis testing with different distributions... nothing too challenging. Doesn't take too long to learn, I self studied S2-S4 and did okay in the end, I didn't even have to use videos :lol:
Mentally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
S3 is piss ez but I'd recommend m2 if u handled m1 well/ do physics since there's much much more available resources
greenapple10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mentally)
S3 is piss ez but I'd recommend m2 if u handled m1 well/ do physics since there's much much more available resources
I didn't enjoy M1 at all even though i do Physics too. Regardless of the fact that i think i did well in the exam this year
greenapple10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
S3 picks out distribution work from S2, so stuff like normal distribution used as a basis for distribution of mean etc, S3 and S4 heavily feature hypothesis testing with different distributions... nothing too challenging. Doesn't take too long to learn, I self studied S2-S4 and did okay in the end, I didn't even have to use videos :lol:
Considering i will be continuing four a-levels ( Maths. FM, Phys, Econ) would i still be able to do so. I am really self motivated. but i don't want it to come to a point were my S2 class pegs me back as i will have a class for S2 but not for S3
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by greenapple10)
Considering i will be continuing four a-levels ( Maths. FM, Phys, Econ) would i still be able to do so. I am really self motivated. but i don't want it to come to a point were my S2 class pegs me back as i will have a class for S2 but not for S3
I did maths, physics, Chem A2 as well as FM AS/A2 so I think it'd be of a comparable difficulty, it was okay.

You can study ahead for S2, and even then some bits you can go off and do for S3 without much S2 k owledge.. or just study the bits you need.
jn998
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in a similar position to you, just finished exams with FP2 earlier.
AS: C1, C2, M1, S1, D1, FP1
A2: C3, C4, M2, S2, S3, FP2

M2 was awful, S3 was very easy. Once you learn S2 you could probably learn the extra tests and pdf's of S3 in a couple of days, whereas M2 is a very big step up from M1.
Harry_Street
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've only done up to S2, but Mechanics papers only slightly differ year on year, so I guess if you want a module which is quite easy to get the grasp of after completing the majority of past papers, M2 is the way to go. Also you said you'd be taught this in class, and although Statistics isn't too difficult, I still wouldn't recommend teaching yourself the module, especially when given an option of being taught one of a similar level of difficulty. That said, I enjoy stats more than mechanics, so and I think enjoying a module also helps you to understand it better, so take this into consideration too.
greenapple10
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help guys !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.75%
Take autumn exams (188)
29.65%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed