Car Insurance-WTF? Watch

money-for-all
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It is absolutely ridiculous.
Please be honest, do you think £1300/year is 'cheap' for car insurance for a 1.8 litre? I think its an absolute rip off.
the car is worth like £3000.

Just does not feel right paying 1/3 rd of the car's value just to insure it?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by money-for-all)
Please be honest, do you think £1300/year is 'cheap' for car insurance for a 1.8 litre? I think its an absolute rip off.

That is quite cheap - guess you are late teens, early 20's and it is your first car. Not much you can do about it until you turn 25.
seethtruth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
where d u live in my ends insurance is sky high
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Car insurance is always expensive for young and inexperienced drivers. That's quite decent for a 1.8L engine anyway. *yawn* what else is new?
money-for-all
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
That is quite cheap - guess you are late teens, early 20's and it is your first car. Not much you can do about it until you turn 25.
CHEAP?
Man, do you really not mind paying a third of the value to insure it?
you need to change your mindset.
Xopher_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Haha what are you crying for? mine is 1.9k for a 1.2 corsa ffs, yeah I'm 17 but it's still ridiculous. My car was 6.5k so it's basically 1/3 of the car too?
money-for-all
Rep:
?
There is something seriously wrong with you people^^or your parents are actually willing to pay that much to insure you?
Hazard28
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the two biggest determinants of car insurance premiums are:

1) location
2) age of driver
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is something seriously wrong with you people^^or your parents are actually willing to pay that much to insure you?
I don't know how much you were expecting to have to pay but £1300 is certainly not something to complain about. I've been quoted £2200
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

My son's insurance is twice what the car is worth and that is for a 1 litre car. You'd likely get a cheaper quote if the engine was 1.4 litres or less. Age and experience also play a big factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry OP, that's really really cheap. I pay £1900 for a 1.4 VW Polo :rofl:

I'd kill to pay £1300 for a 1.8 anything tbh :lol:
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CHEAP?
Man, do you really not mind paying a third of the value to insure it?
you need to change your mindset.
The value of the car has nothing to do with how much damage it can do to people and their property.
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I paid £800 for mine but its a 1.4
I'm assuming you're a new/young driver? If so 1300 for a 1.8 is extremely good.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This thread should really be in Cars and Motoring - tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved.
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I pay £1300 for a 1.2 litre, which compared to all my friends is only a little bit more expensive than their 1.0
I don't know what you were expecting, but young drivers can expect to pay a huge amount, and a lot more than what you're quoted. Is your quote is with a black box, if not that could decrease your quote by a fair wack with certain insurers.
PS my parents don't pay for my insurance, I do. We made a deal, they buy the car and I buy the insurance.
Richard0328
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the car itself is a major factor too. If it is popular with boy racers then expect a high premium because they crash a lot and that makes the car high risk. Same with theft rates and anything else that a car can have done to make it high risk to an insurance company.
best bet is to avoid the usual corsas and fiestas and go for something like a Chevrolet or Hyundai to lower your premiums because they are uncommon and unmolested. I tend to go with cars like that and a perfect example was my Mitsubishi Legnum. High performance but low insurance because they are so rare that nobody knows what they are. It is a 2.5 V6 twin turbo 4WD estate with 276BHP as standardName:  WP_20140430_09_45_16_Pro.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  502.3 KB
FXX
Report 2 years ago

The reason you have to have insurance is to pay for everything else that gets damaged in the process.

If you're just going for third party cover, this means paying for the other person's car to get repaired, and any road/barrier repairs that need carrying out.

If you write off a Veyron and take out a load of central reservation barriers which require shutting the M25 for 8 hours you'll see that £1300 isn't actually THAT bad of a deal.

Don't get me wrong - insurance is a total ripoff, but you shouldn't consider it based on the value of your car. It's all worked out on risk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (11)
9.09%
Disagree (6)
4.96%
Neither agree or disagree (41)
33.88%
Agree (46)
38.02%
Strongly Agree (17)
14.05%

Watched Threads