The Student Room Group

Not enjoying doing things I used to love

I loved learning Mandarin I had such passion for it and now I don't feel this way anymore.One thing I know I love is cycling but I can't do this where I live as the city is dangerous for cyclists and I don't even own a bike(my bike is at my grandmother's she lives in another country in a village).I liked chess but I have no one to play with and I do not like playing online.I wanted to join a hockey club but they want a fee and I do not have the money to pay them.I also wanted to play an instrument but it costs quite a lot of money.I tried reading by my stomach hurts and I cannot concentrate (I am going to the doctor about this tomorrow).I wanted to learn about quantum mechanics I found some good documentaries but then I just could not bring myself to watch any more documentaries.

I thought I had friends but I was wrong no one ever answers their phone or calls me or texts me back.I just want to feel this purpose and ambition I used to feel I always loved learning but this summer holiday is not going very well.I am not enjoying anything I do.How can I love learning mandarin as much as I used to?
That's a sign of depression, you should talk to a family member/friend about this. Hope you feel better soon. =)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous1502
I loved learning Mandarin I had such passion for it and now I don't feel this way anymore.One thing I know I love is cycling but I can't do this where I live as the city is dangerous for cyclists and I don't even own a bike(my bike is at my grandmother's she lives in another country in a village).I liked chess but I have no one to play with and I do not like playing online.I wanted to join a hockey club but they want a fee and I do not have the money to pay them.I also wanted to play an instrument but it costs quite a lot of money.I tried reading by my stomach hurts and I cannot concentrate (I am going to the doctor about this tomorrow).I wanted to learn about quantum mechanics I found some good documentaries but then I just could not bring myself to watch any more documentaries.

I thought I had friends but I was wrong no one ever answers their phone or calls me or texts me back.I just want to feel this purpose and ambition I used to feel I always loved learning but this summer holiday is not going very well.I am not enjoying anything I do.How can I love learning mandarin as much as I used to?

Moved to mental health as this is a sign of depression and the people here can help you more. :smile:

I wish you all the best :hugs:
Reply 3

This is one of the major signs of depression. Depression can come about in any number of ways, but is often triggered by stress, illness or a traumatic event. When you are depressed you will often feel apathetic and unable to engage in anything, even things you used to enjoy.
You may also find yourself tired, tearful, frustrated, bored and sad.

Good thing is you're seeing your dr tomorrow cos that is the first thing I would suggest. There are three main treatments for depression:
Lifestyle changes (like exercise, fresh air, good diet, meditation etc)
Therapy (this is the main one and I very much suggest you try it)
Medication (this has mixed opinions, but is an option for some cases of depression)

Your doctor should give you some good advice, but I also suggest you check out mind.org and sane.org.

I will point out that it is possible to have varying levels of depression, including quite minor and short term. It's also possible to have some of the symptoms of depression without being depressed. In these cases, advice and support for depression is still helpful so even if you don't feel like you have depression I suggest you take a look into advice for it.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your appt and feel free to ask me anything :smile:
Original post by Kindred
This is one of the major signs of depression. Depression can come about in any number of ways, but is often triggered by stress, illness or a traumatic event. When you are depressed you will often feel apathetic and unable to engage in anything, even things you used to enjoy.
You may also find yourself tired, tearful, frustrated, bored and sad.

Good thing is you're seeing your dr tomorrow cos that is the first thing I would suggest. There are three main treatments for depression:
Lifestyle changes (like exercise, fresh air, good diet, meditation etc)
Therapy (this is the main one and I very much suggest you try it)
Medication (this has mixed opinions, but is an option for some cases of depression)

Your doctor should give you some good advice, but I also suggest you check out mind.org and sane.org.

I will point out that it is possible to have varying levels of depression, including quite minor and short term. It's also possible to have some of the symptoms of depression without being depressed. In these cases, advice and support for depression is still helpful so even if you don't feel like you have depression I suggest you take a look into advice for it.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your appt and feel free to ask me anything :smile:

I have an appointment with a psychologist in 2 weeks time.When the day comes to a close I feel a bit angry with myself as I did not do anything productive or enjoyable.I might do a level chemistry as studying is something I know I won't fail to do.I may watch some documentaries or read today if all goes well.Let's hope people will keep the house clean I need it to be spotless to feel comfortable and be focused.I can't stand dishes in the sink.
Reply 5
I have an appointment with a psychologist in 2 weeks time.When the day comes to a close I feel a bit angry with myself as I did not do anything productive or enjoyable.I might do a level chemistry as studying is something I know I won't fail to do.I may watch some documentaries or read today if all goes well.Let's hope people will keep the house clean I need it to be spotless to feel comfortable and be focused.I can't stand dishes in the sink.

Sounds like a good thing you're heading to a psych. They're better with mh than a GP is (as the name would suggest) so you'll be in good hands.
That's actually a pretty decent result from a GP visit. It can often take a while to convince them. Looks like your GP may be a help to you in the future.

In these two weeks I would have a think about all these things you are noticing and write them down. Just don't obsess over it too much or it'll make you feel bad about it. Remember this is not your fault so you shouldn't feel bad about anything you don't feel like doing or how you are feeling etc. There is something messing with you, but it can be managed/ fixed and your psych will be able to help with that.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kindred
Sounds like a good thing you're heading to a psych. They're better with mh than a GP is (as the name would suggest) so you'll be in good hands.
That's actually a pretty decent result from a GP visit. It can often take a while to convince them. Looks like your GP may be a help to you in the future.

In these two weeks I would have a think about all these things you are noticing and write them down. Just don't obsess over it too much or it'll make you feel bad about it. Remember this is not your fault so you shouldn't feel bad about anything you don't feel like doing or how you are feeling etc. There is something messing with you, but it can be managed/ fixed and your psych will be able to help with that.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you,you are very kind it is much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest