Big shout out for the female metalheads on TSR \o/
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Looks like Slayer are hanging up their guitars
http://www.metalinjection.net/shocki...nal-world-tour

I, for one, shall not miss them. Would be nice to see some newer (more interesting) bands headlining festivals for the next 20 years or so.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Slayer died when Jeff did. I'm a huge Slayer fan but I have to say that I'm not in principle interested in this tour (unless the other bands are great) since there is a) no Dave and b) no Jeff.
Manitude
Rep:
?
I saw like ten minutes of a pretty big Slayer tribute act (cannot remember for the life of me what they were called) last year and I kinda got why people like Slayer from that. When it's loud and live it has way more energy, but listening to anything they've recorded is virtually a snore fest to me. That was enough live Slayer for me though, I've no interest in seeing the real thing.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I saw the original lineup 8 or 9 times so I'm not fussed on this cashcow version, haha.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Haha, fair enough. I don't think I've seen any well established band quite that many times, although I may have seen a couple of local bands about that much.
I've probably seen Insurgency about that many times. And maybe Fighting Keegans and Project: Unicorn abut that sort of number (RIP to both).
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Christ, there's loads of big/small acts I've seen over ten times, a few more over 20 but I shan't bore you with all that :laugh:

Apparently Satyricon have announced a final US tour, too. They've never really took off there though so I suppose that's why they're just not gonna bother no more.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Satyricon are a band I never really got into. I reckon King has a catchy as hell chorus, though.

Quite a few of those second wave bands are getting kind old now and a bunch of them have moved onto other things. Varg is living in the woods and lecturing neckbeards over YT, Gaahl is designing clothing, Einar Selvik is doing Wardruna and lecturing history buffs in person, Fenriz is a politician and Mayhem are milking every cent they can get out of DMDS. It's a funny old world sometimes.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some bands that caught my eye lately, Stones Broken and Cats in Space.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never really paid them much attention until I drunkenly walked into them playing at a festival, enjoyed them after that.

The Varg thing makes me laugh,I watch those vids sometimes, he's an angry, bitter old man. Suppose that's the logical progression from angry, bitter young man! Ihsahn was teaching guitar at a secondary school for a bit, too. ha. That'd be quality.
pumpkinriot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So sad about Slayer, this band has been with me since I was 12, although the last time I saw them in Brixton,I was a little disappointed. Sad about the end they are about to put it, but happy at the same time, I think it was about time for them to stop.
Their Tour with Anthrax and LOG in the US is my dream come true, hope Slayer bring both bands to the European tour.
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Manitude)
Satyricon are a band I never really got into. I reckon King has a catchy as hell chorus, though.

Quite a few of those second wave bands are getting kind old now and a bunch of them have moved onto other things. Varg is living in the woods and lecturing neckbeards over YT, Gaahl is designing clothing, Einar Selvik is doing Wardruna and lecturing history buffs in person, Fenriz is a politician and Mayhem are milking every cent they can get out of DMDS. It's a funny old world sometimes.
I agree, after listening to King (it was in my YouTube suggestions for some reason) I did start listening to Satyricon, but they didn't keep my interest for very long
Manitude
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
The Varg thing makes me laugh,I watch those vids sometimes, he's an angry, bitter old man. Suppose that's the logical progression from angry, bitter young man! Ihsahn was teaching guitar at a secondary school for a bit, too. ha. That'd be quality.
Yeah, I watch the odd video and sometimes he says some interesting things and the rest of the time is about his weird world view that requires ignoring a lot of things and seemingly deciding you want to hate people because they're different.

I don't know much about Ihsahn but people seem to have a lot of respect for him, even if he does look like a textbook coffee shop hipster these days.
Manitude
Rep:
?
I went to the market today and got a copy of One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back by The Darkness for £19 and Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf for £3 (they were both supposed to be a pound more but the guy knocked off two quid from the total).

Pretty happy with that.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just getting around to spinning the new Saxon release.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Just getting around to spinning the new Saxon release.
I've only heard the title track so far. It's decent. Nothing special, but not unpleasant, either. But then, I don't really listen to a lot of NWBHM so my feelings on it aren't necessarily in line with fans of the genre. It might grow on me, though.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Manitude)
I've only heard the title track so far. It's decent. Nothing special, but not unpleasant, either. But then, I don't really listen to a lot of NWBHM so my feelings on it aren't necessarily in line with fans of the genre. It might grow on me, though.
I don't think it's as good as their last release, personally. It's ok but that is all it is.

I stuck on the re-recording of WASP's Crimson Idol (ReIdolized) after it and that is really something. Spectacular effort (I love the original, though).
Manitude
Rep:
?
I don't think it's as good as their last release, personally. It's ok but that is all it is.

I stuck on the re-recording of WASP's Crimson Idol (ReIdolized) after it and that is really something. Spectacular effort (I love the original, though).
I just had a listen to Chainsaw Charlie and yeah, that's really quite impressive. Great riffs all the way through. Although I found the vocals hard to follow. Maybe they were too low in the mix or something.
Buntz06
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyone like Linkin Park here?
Manitude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Buntz06)
Anyone like Linkin Park here?
I like a few of their albums. A Thousand Suns is their best album imo. Living Things and Minutes To Midnight are next best after that.

I used to like their first two, but aside from teenage nostalgia and general aggressiveness, they don't really speak to me and aren't interesting songs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.52%
Labour (165)
40.74%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.23%
Green Party (30)
7.41%
Brexit Party (12)
2.96%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.48%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.23%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)