The Student Room Group

Rock and Metal Society [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I went to the inaugural HRH Vikings last weekend. The lineup was really good (I think my favourite performances were Obscurity and Turisas, although I really enjoyed Atorc, Sellsword and Mordrake, too) and the whole thing seemed well run. My main complains are the drink prices (£4.20 for a pint of lemonade and cordial versus £3.95 for a pint of beer seems off to me) and the poor sound quality on the main stage for some bands. Old Corpse Road played badly because they couldn't hear each other at all and for the first half of their set I could only hear kick drum, a terrible snare tone and vocals. By the end of the set I started to hear the guitars a bit and the snare tone was sorted but much too quiet.

Already got my ticket for next year as they had a hefty 40% discount if you bought them at the festival although I should have waited as they were even cheaper this week!
I saw Def Leppard supported by Cheap Trick last night, great show that was.
Imma tag some people @Rock Fan @Manitude @Leviathan1741 @Caela921
I was wondering if you all had a bit of time on your hands if you could complete some surveys which will contribute to my EPQ research. I just want to get some of the demographics and ideas of those who listen to music. Could you please fill this out ASAP.

The survey for everyone:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LL6FWVX

The survey for only those who consider themselves listeners of rock/metal:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LY3NN8M

Thanks so much, it is an immense help! If you have any questions please email me!
Original post by PhilDanthropist
I was wondering if you all had a bit of time on your hands if you could complete some surveys which will contribute to my EPQ research. I just want to get some of the demographics and ideas of those who listen to music. Could you please fill this out ASAP.

The survey for everyone:

Thanks so much, it is an immense help! If you have any questions please email me!

Will try to remember after i finish up here ten pin bowling
Original post by PhilDanthropist

The survey for everyone:

I've done it :smile:

It was really hard to pick just one genre/subgenre, I could've listed way more than one :tongue:
Reply 145
*taps mic*

Oh hey folks, this thing still exists. And the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. I am hoping to be able to post here more often as and when my free time and health allows it.

Right now, I'd like to share with you what is (currently) the pinnacle of my musical career in playing at Darkness Over Cumbria:

I am particularly fond of the slow motion stuff at 6:10 in that video. Not sure which song we were playing then but it looks great.

In four weeks we're playing another festival (Warhorns) except our drummer has quit so we're either playing to a backing track or with a new guy we've not practice with yet.
Original post by Manitude
*taps mic*

Oh hey folks, this thing still exists. And the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. I am hoping to be able to post here more often as and when my free time and health allows it.

Right now, I'd like to share with you what is (currently) the pinnacle of my musical career in playing at Darkness Over Cumbria:

I am particularly fond of the slow motion stuff at 6:10 in that video. Not sure which song we were playing then but it looks great.

In four weeks we're playing another festival (Warhorns) except our drummer has quit so we're either playing to a backing track or with a new guy we've not practice with yet.

Good to see ye back, mate
Reply 147
Original post by gjd800
Good to see ye back, mate

Cheers lad. By the way, I think I may possibly have read an interview with your band in the Legions Ov Darkness magazine recently. There was a very specific thing mentioned there that I remember you talking about here (splitting your finger in a gig and super-gluing it back together) that just rang a memory for me. It could be a complete coincidence, of course.
Cheers lad. By the way, I think I may possibly have read an interview with your band in the Legions Ov Darkness magazine recently. There was a very specific thing mentioned there that I remember you talking about here (splitting your finger in a gig and super-gluing it back together) that just rang a memory for me. It could be a complete coincidence, of course.

I think coincidence (we're doing dodgy covers anyhoo)! We've not done anything since the start of the year cos vox and drummer left, haha. The gluing fingers is an eld trick though, I learnt it from a local blues player of 45 year pedigree :laugh:
Reply 149
Original post by gjd800
I think coincidence (we're doing dodgy covers anyhoo)! We've not done anything since the start of the year cos vox and drummer left, haha. The gluing fingers is an eld trick though, I learnt it from a local blues player of 45 year pedigree :laugh:

Fair enough, I know the interviews for LoD have been going for about 6 months now so if you'e down nowt for a year then I guess it was just a coincidence. I figured there weren't that many ukbm bands that would have this problem and have the same solution.

I can totally sympathise with having half your band leave, though. Our vocalist left with a mutual understanding in January. He wasn't comfortable playing live and was incredibly unreliable, so it was for the best that he no longer played live. Our drummer quit after our last gig (Darkness Over Cumbria) so we're now back to a two-piece. His reasons were very reasonable, mainly involving wanting to be a father to his kids and we don't want to get in the way of that. We will still play the gigs we have agreed, even if it requires playing to a backing track because we'd rather soldier on and give a slightly less than ideal performance than ever give the impressive that we are unreliable.
Fair enough, I know the interviews for LoD have been going for about 6 months now so if you'e down nowt for a year then I guess it was just a coincidence. I figured there weren't that many ukbm bands that would have this problem and have the same solution.

I can totally sympathise with having half your band leave, though. Our vocalist left with a mutual understanding in January. He wasn't comfortable playing live and was incredibly unreliable, so it was for the best that he no longer played live. Our drummer quit after our last gig (Darkness Over Cumbria) so we're now back to a two-piece. His reasons were very reasonable, mainly involving wanting to be a father to his kids and we don't want to get in the way of that. We will still play the gigs we have agreed, even if it requires playing to a backing track because we'd rather soldier on and give a slightly less than ideal performance than ever give the impressive that we are unreliable.

Ooof that's tough!

Ours was acrimonious-ish. two lads fell out, one walked to save us the hassle of losing both, lost both anyway. Typical!
Reply 151
Original post by gjd800
Ooof that's tough!

Ours was acrimonious-ish. two lads fell out, one walked to save us the hassle of losing both, lost both anyway. Typical!

Aye, it's tough, but it's life. I'd rather make the most of what we have than refuse to do anything until we have the perfect circumstances. Me and the guitarist are very close friends so we understand that we do this because we want to do this and we never expect a living wage from it. Almost all the money we've got from gigs and merch goes to transport to those gigs and maybe a beer or two. Of course we hope to command higher and higher fees over time but we are still in the stage where £20 towards transport is OK.
Aye, it's tough, but it's life. I'd rather make the most of what we have than refuse to do anything until we have the perfect circumstances. Me and the guitarist are very close friends so we understand that we do this because we want to do this and we never expect a living wage from it. Almost all the money we've got from gigs and merch goes to transport to those gigs and maybe a beer or two. Of course we hope to command higher and higher fees over time but we are still in the stage where £20 towards transport is OK.

Admirable attitude. I'm a breadhead, got bored of playing for nothing when the lads doing covers were getting paid well (ish) so I jumped over to the darkside a long while ago haha. Toyed with doing a functions act for a bit but I think that really is a full-time job, and I like my actual job :laugh:
Reply 153
Original post by gjd800
Admirable attitude. I'm a breadhead, got bored of playing for nothing when the lads doing covers were getting paid well (ish) so I jumped over to the darkside a long while ago haha. Toyed with doing a functions act for a bit but I think that really is a full-time job, and I like my actual job :laugh:

I don't have an actual job at the moment (thesis writing...it'll be over in two months) but I don't ever seen myself becoming a professional musician. I do this because I want to do it, not because I need to. I think that having to wake up and force myself to write new music and perform every day would destroy my enthusiasm for it.

My brother is seriously contemplating going professional, and he already has a really good business going for commissioning compositions and joining a friend of his at wedding functions. They only need to do about two wedding a month and that pays the mortgage.
I don't have an actual job at the moment (thesis writing...it'll be over in two months) but I don't ever seen myself becoming a professional musician. I do this because I want to do it, not because I need to. I think that having to wake up and force myself to write new music and perform every day would destroy my enthusiasm for it.

My brother is seriously contemplating going professional, and he already has a really good business going for commissioning compositions and joining a friend of his at wedding functions. They only need to do about two wedding a month and that pays the mortgage.

Aye, I'm not cut out for the writing side of things., Gimme stuff to play and I'll do it, but writing is not my forté!

That's it like, serious, serious money. But also lots and lots of effort haha.
Reply 155
Original post by gjd800
Aye, I'm not cut out for the writing side of things., Gimme stuff to play and I'll do it, but writing is not my forté!

That's it like, serious, serious money. But also lots and lots of effort haha.

I think, like many things, writing is a skill. If you don't practice you'll never improve. I've not written much in the last few years (I've not played much at all, really, despite playing in a fairly active band!) so it definitely shows. I've written a demo for the acoustic track on our next album, which still needs a fair bit of changing before we record the final version of it.
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/acoustic-idea-1b
I'm not happy with the last two chords of the first sequence and the mandolin solo needs refining, although there are some cool phrases in it that I will keep.
Oh my lorddd...how am I only just seeing this for the first time now?!

Hello fellow TSRians :biggrin:
Reply 157
Original post by Breeee
Oh my lorddd...how am I only just seeing this for the first time now?!

Hello fellow TSRians :biggrin:

To be fair, it's been pretty inactive for the last few months because, in part, I have been inactive for the last few months. Turns out trying to finish off a PhD is a bit stressful and makes you less likely to want to go on a forum. I've still not finished (nearly there) but appearing on university challenge recently kind of forced me out of hibernation to read the thread on it :P
Reply 158
Anyway, anyone got any recommendations for obnoxiously loud portable bluetooth speakers I can take to festivals and enlighten my fellow campers about the merits of folky atmo-bm and Mike Oldfield? I've heard Anker are a good brand but the price seems suspiciously low.
Anker are disposable good-for-a-year-then-die stuff in my experience (granted only with their computery stuff). I use their mice, throwaway after 12-18 months.

I have a bluetooth enabled Boomer by Wise primate. Sound is great for what it is

Quick Reply

Latest