The Student Room Group

Law Application- KCL & Nottingham

Hi everyone,

I am in year 12 and would like to do Law with American Law. My top choices are KCL and Nottingham.
I am awful at maths so my predicted grades are A*(English Literature) A (History) B (Mathematics). I am also doing an EPQ which is very much to do with law which is predicted to be A/A*. I am also making sure I have lots of things to make my personal statement stand out. Are these grades good enough to try for KCL and Nottingham or are they not very lenient.
Thanks for any advice in advance :smile:
The best thing to do is email the universities.

If you're going to get a B in maths, you might not be able to take up your place, even if you end up being offered one.
Reply 2
Original post by Jasaron
The best thing to do is email the universities.

If you're going to get a B in maths, you might not be able to take up your place, even if you end up being offered one.

Wait, so they could offer me a place with those grades and then change their minds?
Original post by elilleyg88
Wait, so they could offer me a place with those grades and then change their minds?

No. But if you get an offer from eg King's It would most likely be their typical A*AA. If you get your predicted B in maths then they might well reject you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's rather difficult to get into those law schools with a B in your predictions, I'm afraid... They are "not very lenient".
I've just finished my first year of Law LLB at Nottingham. I wouldn't worry too much about them not being lenient as they lowered my offer to AAA and I know of several people on my course who have ABB/AAB who thought they wouldn't be let in.
If you have any other questions feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
I've seen enough job applications from people with that kind of profile from both universities to know it isn't impossible to get a place.

I suspect it depends on your school/college though. Any university would look differently at the same set of grades if you are at a top performing private school vs an average state school.

The strength of your PS will also have an impact, as well as things like whether you are a first generation university attendee.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply.
I go to a grammar which is now of an academy status. I am also a first generation university attendee- hadn't considered that! So thank you :smile: !
Reply 7
Original post by Poppycharlotte
I've just finished my first year of Law LLB at Nottingham. I wouldn't worry too much about them not being lenient as they lowered my offer to AAA and I know of several people on my course who have ABB/AAB who thought they wouldn't be let in.
If you have any other questions feel free to message me :smile:

Thank you for this!! Very encouraging, would love to go to Nottingham. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
I've seen enough job applications from people with that kind of profile from both universities to know it isn't impossible to get a place.

I suspect it depends on your school/college though. Any university would look differently at the same set of grades if you are at a top performing private school vs an average state school.

The strength of your PS will also have an impact, as well as things like whether you are a first generation university attendee.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how do they know you're a first generation attendee? I don't remember seeing that on my application

Quick Reply

Latest