The Student Room Group

Would I be stupid to reject a RG uni for better next year?

Here's my situation;
I need AAB to get in my uni, I'm predicted A*A*C. Essentially. I might meet my offer, whether that's via getting a B in my weak subject or them letting me in with a C due to two other strong subjects.
However. If I do, I'm planning on rejecting it.
I simply feel like I can do 'better' without sounding too arrogant, I feel like I can easily get an A or A* in the third subject given one more year to practice, allowing me to apply to better unis next year should I get this grade. The unis I'd be rejecting would be Manchester and Loughborough, the unis I'd be applying to next year would be; LSE, Warwick, Nottingham, Bath and one other. With the hopes of getting an offer from either LSE or warwick and then having Nottingham as my insurance. (The course im looking to take is economics).

Do you guys think I'd be stupid to do this? Is one year out for the sake of a better uni worth it? Will my career prospects be that much better at somewhere like LSE or Warwick over Loughborough/Manchester?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lw8
Here's my situation;
I need AAB to get in my uni, I'm predicted A*A*C. Essentially. I might meet my offer, whether that's via getting a B in my weak subject or them letting me in with a C due to two other strong subjects.
I simply feel like I can do 'better' without sounding too arrogant, I feel like I can easily get an A or A* in the third subject given one more year to practice, allowing me to apply to better unis next year should I get this grade. The unis I'd be rejecting would be Manchester and Loughborough, the unis I'd be applying to next year would be; LSE, Warwick, Nottingham, Bath and one other. With the hopes of getting an offer from either LSE or warwick and then having Nottingham as my insurance. (The course im looking to take is economics).

Do you guys think I'd be stupid to do this? Is one year out for the sake of a better uni worth it? Will my career prospects be that much better at somewhere like LSE or Warwick over Loughborough/Manchester?

Moved to applications and UCAS. I will let the lovely people in this forum give you the best advice possible on whether you should reject your current university offers and reapply next year or not. :h:

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the best! :hugs:
Original post by lw8
Here's my situation;

Which subject did you apply to read?

In most cases, a first from Manchester is a very good degree. I wouldn't spend an extra year for the others that you mention, but it's hard to judge without knowing the subject. I was surprised that you didn't mention Oxbridge.
If you're sure that you'd make it into LSE/Warwick, go for it. Especially for econ, those two are extremely competitive (especially LSE). Regarding your resit thing, at LSE they say this;

'Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations'

You may not be looked upon favourably as the only exception to that rule is extenuating circumstances. I don't know how Warwick view things, but this is what LSE say. Again, if you're sure you can get better grades and you're set on LSE/Warwick, go for it. :smile:
Original post by RogerOxon
Which subject did you apply to read?

In most cases, a first from Manchester is a very good degree. I wouldn't spend an extra year for the others that you mention, but it's hard to judge without knowing the subject. I was surprised that you didn't mention Oxbridge.

Economics! Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Manchester isn't great for economics (one of the few things it's not great for tbh).

I would apply to oxbridge however I feel like with my relatively poor GCSEs and the fact I'd be resitting some maths modules, I wouldn't stand much of a chance, do you think it's worth me applying still?
Are you able to do adjustment on results day for studying Economics. It's not a subject I know very well, but if you far surpass your predicted grades this seems a very appealing option, without having to resit or take a gap year.
Original post by Kyou
If you're sure that you'd make it into LSE/Warwick, go for it. Especially for econ, those two are extremely competitive (especially LSE). Regarding your resit thing, at LSE they say this;

'Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations'

You may not be looked upon favourably as the only exception to that rule is extenuating circumstances. I don't know how Warwick view things, but this is what LSE say. Again, if you're sure you can get better grades and you're set on LSE/Warwick, go for it. :smile:

Ah okay. Looks like it'll be tough getting into LSE resitting a couple maths modules, I guess it's still worth a shot. Hopefully I'll be getting A*A*A* so it might make up for it somewhat, as long as I use the year off to bulk up my personal statement also.
Thanks!
Original post by slowdive
Are you able to do adjustment on results day for studying Economics. It's not a subject I know very well, but if you far surpass your predicted grades this seems a very appealing option, without having to resit or take a gap year.

The problem is my third grade is likely to be a B or a C this year. This means I can't get into a place like warwick via adjustment as they require A*AA sadly. I know I'll be able to improve it given a year, but, the likelihood is that this year I'll be getting a C at best a B.
Original post by lw8
The problem is my third grade is likely to be a B or a C this year. This means I can't get into a place like warwick via adjustment as they require A*AA sadly. I know I'll be able to improve it given a year, but, the likelihood is that this year I'll be getting a C at best a B.

I see. If your weak subject is not up to their typical offer, I would be very surprised if it would hinder your application if you decide to retake providing they do accept resits. You'll probably be predicted above their usual offer from your teachers, so you will meet their criteria. Again, cannot provide useful information for Economics, just have a look at their resit policies but in Medicine you often have to do better than the usual offer in order to apply, e.g an AAA offer is sometimes bumped to A*AA with A* being a subject you are definitely retaking.

With question to your RG enquiry, I would presume that going to a prestigious RG uni for Economics puts you at an advantage to others, as there must be a huge amount of competition for some internships like investment banking.
Original post by lw8
Economics! Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Manchester isn't great for economics (one of the few things it's not great for tbh).

Where did you apply this time? Do you feel that you didn't aim high enough, or just didn't get offers?

League tables should be taken with a pinch of salt too, so I'd probably just concentrate on doing well at Manchester than spending an extra year on 'A' levels. You can always aim to do a Master's somewhere with a better reputation.

I would apply to oxbridge however I feel like with my relatively poor GCSEs and the fact I'd be resitting some maths modules, I wouldn't stand much of a chance, do you think it's worth me applying still?

Perhaps not.
Ranking doesn't matter as much as you think. my bro goes to one of the worst ranking unis in the uk mine is literally a hundred places higher and he got a gold dust of a grad job.
Original post by RogerOxon
Where did you apply this time? Do you feel that you didn't aim high enough, or just didn't get offers?

League tables should be taken with a pinch of salt too, so I'd probably just concentrate on doing well at Manchester than spending an extra year on 'A' levels. You can always aim to do a Master's somewhere with a better reputation.

Perhaps not.

I didn't do enough research/go to enough open days initially which is part the reason I'm choosing to take a year out.
I applied to; Durham (didn't like), Loughborough (loved), Manchester (didn't visit), Lancaster (didn't visit), Kent (didn't visit and had no intention of ever accepting their offer).

My whole application was a waste if I'm honest. Wish I could reverse time and apply to warwick, Nottingham etc

I also definitely do not want to go the manchester. From what I've seen it's an awful place to go, I only put it down because it's my local uni, swear I was drunk when applying...
Original post by Dominoes
Ranking doesn't matter as much as you think. my bro goes to one of the worst ranking unis in the uk mine is literally a hundred places higher and he got a gold dust of a grad job.

Just out of interest what course/unis did you guys go to?
Original post by lw8
Just out of interest what course/unis did you guys go to?

Business his is ranked way below 100 and mine is a better than average one
Original post by lw8
I didn't do enough research/go to enough open days initially which is part the reason I'm choosing to take a year out.
I applied to; Durham (didn't like), Loughborough (loved), Manchester (didn't visit), Lancaster (didn't visit), Kent (didn't visit and had no intention of ever accepting their offer).

My whole application was a waste if I'm honest. Wish I could reverse time and apply to warwick, Nottingham etc

I also definitely do not want to go the manchester. From what I've seen it's an awful place to go, I only put it down because it's my local uni, swear I was drunk when applying...

Well, there's no point in going if you really don't want to. I assume that none of your choices would be in clearing.
Highly competitive unis generally take a dim view of taking 3 years on an A level...

e.g. Warwick says

4.7 Non-standard patterns of examination entry and resits

The University normally expects applicants to demonstrate that they can succeed on a demanding course of study within a defined timescale, as exemplified by (but not limited to) the achievement of three A levels (not including General Studies and Critical Thinking) over the course of a maximum of two years of study.

Students who resit individual units to improve their A-level grades within this timeframe will not be penalised. However, students who resit their final Year 13 examinations may be at a disadvantage when considered alongside those who have attained the required grades within the usual timeframe. Some courses will not consider candidates who have taken three years to reach the required level of attainment.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/admissionsstatement/

and I think that's more or less the same as the view of the others - it's something they'll watch out for and penalise.
personally, i would say Manchester is a great university, and, someone who is personally risk averse, would infact take up Manchester.

nonetheless, if you really would like to apply to the LSE's and ect and are willing to take a gap year, go for it. i would personally advise diversifying your 5 options.

i know personally Bristol doesn't really care about re-sitters, i have a mate who took a gap year retaking maths and got a offer at LSE (although it wasn't for econ and LSE are very maths conscious on their economics course), Warwick from experience are very lenient with offers but that could differ due to the retaking of maths. With regards to Nottingham and Bath, I have no idea.
Original post by lw8
Here's my situation;

It depends on where you want to go, if you want to go into IB then retaking seems like a better idea, but if you want to go into finance in general doesn't make much of a difference.
Reply 18
Original post by Joinedup
Highly competitive unis generally take a dim view of taking 3 years on an A level...

e.g. Warwick says

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/admissionsstatement/

and I think that's more or less the same as the view of the others - it's something they'll watch out for and penalise.

what this guy said.
The University of Manchester is #1 most sought after uni by employers in some reports, ranking higher than Oxbridge, Nottingham and ICL. And on The World University Rankings it comes in at #3, just behind Cambridge and Oxford, drawing with ICL. In terms of overall employability, I think Manchester is very good.

However, of course, it will vary based on the degree that you are doing. I'm not sure which universities are best for economics, but I don't think you would necessarily get much of an advantage by just bumping up to a university with a bit more prestige. IMO, it's not worth it. Some of said unis prefer you not to retake subjects, so that might put you at a disadvantage too.

It's all up to you though, my most important piece of advice would be to go to whichever university you feel suits you best. I hope you've visited them and you're not basing your preferences merely on league tables and prestige. Visiting a uni can really give you a feel for the place.

Quick Reply

Latest