The Student Room Group

Chances of me getting a training contract with a London law firm?

Hi ,

I have received a high upper 2:1 and got ABB at A levels. I will be applying for my LPC LLM which I would like to do at BPP, and I do have some legal work experience.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting a training contract from these big law firms in London - like the magic circle law firms and other international big law firms?

Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jane Souza
Hi ,

I have received a high upper 2:1 (69.7%) for my Law degree at University of Westminster and got ABB at A levels. I will be applying for my LPC LLM which I would like to do at BPP, and I do have some legal work experience.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting a training contract from these big law firms in London - like the magic circle law firms and other international big law firms?

Thank you

While it's hard to say whether or not you will get a training contract, your chances seem pretty good. You achieved a high 2:1 for your degree and got into the LPC programme. I'd say that provided you get a good result for your LPC, you'll have an even better chance of getting one (as long as you pass through the preliminary assessments and the interview stage).
Reply 2
Original post by zero_gravity
While it's hard to say whether or not you will get a training contract, your chances seem pretty good. You achieved a high 2:1 for your degree and got into the LPC programme. I'd say that provided you get a good result for your LPC, you'll have an even better chance of getting one (as long as you pass through the preliminary assessments and the interview stage).

Thank you!

So with ABB as my a level results I still have a chance?
Original post by Jane Souza
Thank you!

So with ABB as my a level results I still have a chance?

Depends on the firm. As J-SP has stated, you will not be cutting it at some firms, since they require at least an AAB on your A-levels. However, some City firms do have an ABB requirement and it would be worthwhile to try it out.

I believe it might be too late to apply for a TC at some of the firms though. Note that application deadlines for MC firms tend to be in January and national and regional firms tend to be in April. I would suggest taking this time to apply for vac schemes (if you haven't done any) for the upcoming year to give you a better chance of getting a training contract for the next cohort.

Here's a list of application deadlines for a number of firms: https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/law-solicitors/advice/439697-dont-miss-this-years-training-contract-deadlines
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by zero_gravity
Depends on the firm. As J-SP has stated, you will not be cutting it at some firms, since they require at least an AAB on your A-levels. However, some City firms do have an ABB requirement and it would be worthwhile to try it out.

I believe it might be too late to apply for a TC at some of the firms though. Note that application deadlines for MC firms tend to be in January and national and regional firms tend to be in April. I would suggest taking this time to apply for vac schemes (if you haven't done any) for the upcoming year to give you a better chance of getting a training contract for the next cohort.

Here's a list of application deadlines for a number of firms: https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/law-solicitors/advice/439697-dont-miss-this-years-training-contract-deadlines

Thank you so much for your help! Do you have a link of all the vacation scheme deadlines?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
Unlikely to be confirmed on any of the major websites for a few more weeks.

Google vacation scheme deadlines and the following website names in August or early September:

Targetjobs
Chambers Student Guide
Lawcareers.net
Allaboutlaw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest