The Student Room Group

Should I apply for medicine?

I'm doing A-Level and I'd love to study medicine at cambridge. The problem is that all the colleges I've looked at require all the sciences and maths. I did chemistry, biology, French and japanese. I am predicted A* for all four subjects. Should I apply here or is it not worth it?
Original post by Cinnabite
I'm doing A-Level and I'd love to study medicine at cambridge. The problem is that all the colleges I've looked at require all the sciences and maths. I did chemistry, biology, French and japanese. I am predicted A* for all four subjects. Should I apply here or is it not worth it?

You really need 3 science/maths to be successful for medicine. That's what most of medicine applicants apply with and many of successful candidates have (/predicted) A* in.
It's not a number of A* levels that counts but in which subject you have A* (or other) in, because they want to make sure you have a good foundation in relevant subjects.
Unfortunately languages are not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Cinnabite

It would be a rather long shot for Cambridge:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine#entry-requirements
"Please note that in the past three admissions rounds, 98 per cent of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 30 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the two per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, six per cent were successful in gaining a place."

6% of 2% of A-level applicants is basically 1 person.

1,274 applicants * 6% = 76 had two sciences
76 * 2% = 1.5 got a place

And it's worse than that because not all applicants offer A-levels at all (IB, Highers, etc, etc)

There's plenty of other MedSchools without the emphasis on 3 sciences. Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest