Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, My problem is this. I was two marks off what my firm wanted and they decided they did'nt want me (I know *******s), so as I only had one offer I assumed I was in clearing. By the time I had got through to Birmingham it had taken my 4 1/2 hours and when i checked clearing there was'nt many good universities left to do law.

My options now are
    Aberysthwyth Advantages - Better Education/job prospects/ Independant/
    scenic
    Disadvantages - Not near major cities/isolated/long journey
    back home/ fewer asians/Don't know anyone
    there

Nottingham Trent - Not exactly local I live in the Dudley in Birmingham, is it a car journey everyday or halls ?

UCE - The worst I would say for being local but they do law

DeMontfort Never been there but is it decent for law and if its within a car journeys distance it would be okay but if not i would prefer Aber

Wolverhampton- Although further down the league tables my careers advisor says better than UCE for Law, but most of the local drop outs go there but I now alot of people there any way

Or... Apply again for Birmingham to do law but hte Dean of Admissions says I'll have to do a Admissions test and would have to score alot higher than everyone else to get in as they can get straight A students for the course so what do I do ?
    (P.s. I guess i should have done this in the Uni general chat one but too late now and i realise that the final choice is mine but i would like people opinions)

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered a remark on one of your papers to try and make up the 2 maks? I don't know if you could still try or not :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    Hi, My problem is this. I was two marks off what my firm wanted and they decided they did'nt want me (I know *******s), so as I only had one offer I assumed I was in clearing. By the time I had got through to Birmingham it had taken my 4 1/2 hours and when i checked clearing there was'nt many good universities left to do law.

My options now are
    Aberysthwyth Advantages - Better Education/job prospects/ Independant/
    scenic
    Disadvantages - Not near major cities/isolated/long journey
    back home/ fewer asians/Don't know anyone
    there

Nottingham Trent - Not exactly local I live in the Dudley in Birmingham, is it a car journey everyday or halls ?

UCE - The worst I would say for being local but they do law

DeMontfort Never been there but is it decent for law and if its within a car journeys distance it would be okay but if not i would prefer Aber

Wolverhampton- Although further down the league tables my careers advisor says better than UCE for Law, but most of the local drop outs go there but I now alot of people there any way

Or... Apply again for Birmingham to do law but hte Dean of Admissions says I'll have to do a Admissions test and would have to score alot higher than everyone else to get in as they can get straight A students for the course so what do I do ?
    (P.s. I guess i should have done this in the Uni general chat one but too late now and i realise that the final choice is mine but i would like people opinions)
    Hey, I'm a Brummie too and a prospective law student.

As for the above, I'd avoid UCE for law. It doesn't have the best reputation and the campus in Perry Barr (where the law department is based) isn't exactly wonderful.

I've seen DeMontfort, and it's slap bang in the middle of Leicester with a lot of new construction taking place. I think it has a fair reputation for law - better than UCE - but not really up to that of Birmingham.

I don't know anything about Aber, but it's meant to be quite good, if a little detached for my/our liking. As you point out [and even though I've never been there] - I wouldn't imagine that it has anything like the ethnic mix of any of the places mentioned.

I know quite a few people who have done law at Wolves, and it has a fairly good reputation (quite a few people have gone on to become barristers and to work for the major firms in Central Brum). A lot of people get into Wolves via assorted Access Courses though.

I don't know anything about Nottingham Trent.

---

Overall, if you are considering branching out and working elsewhere in the country, Birmingham is by far the best option. In terms of reputation, scenery, things to do, mix of people et cetera - Birmingham can't really be touched by the rest. Although I would go for either DeMontfort or Aber otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Do not, whatever you do, go to Wolverhampton University.
    You might as well go to a local primary school.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. All i've heard about Wolverhampton Uni has been absolute crap. I've heard Aberysthwyth is quite nice, but its really for you to decide whether you'd rather reapply to Birmingham. Good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    On those choices, I would say Trent, as it has a decent reputation for law, and Nottingham is a fantastic student city!

ReputationRep:
    This may sound realy *****y but dont reapply to birmingham. if they didnt accept you first time then they dont deserve a second chance. their loss really.
    and dont stay out of education for a year just for that uni!
    choose one of the others, that would be up to you which one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    This may sound realy *****y but dont reapply to birmingham. if they didnt accept you first time then they dont deserve a second chance. their loss really.
    is birmingham uni that good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    i dont know!
    but it cant be that good.
    im sure Nottingham trent or Aberysthwyth would be good anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    Do not, whatever you do, go to Wolverhampton University.
    You might as well go to a local primary school.
    looking at their ratings, i second that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    if B'ham is where he wants to go, and offers an opportunity the others cant match, then it is worth re-applying. one year out of your life is worth not having to live the rest of your life thinking 'what if'

ReputationRep:
    Disadvantages - fewer asians
    im sorry? because being British, living in England, and having to attend an English University with white Britons is detrimental to your success?
    youll allow me to suggest that I chose my university because i didnt want to have the appalling disadvantage of having to talk to any black or asian students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    im sorry? because being British, living in England, and having to attend an English University with white Britons is detrimental to your success?
    youll allow me to suggest that I chose my university because i didnt want to have the appalling disadvantage of having to talk to any black or asian students.
    Maybe the person concerned has a 'liking' to these ethnicities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DuncanM)
    Have you considered a remark on one of your papers to try and make up the 2 maks? I don't know if you could still try or not :confused:
    Sorry its taken me so long to reply i'v been out trying to find a teacher to get my papers remarked.
    But apparently if my grades don't change by 31 sept then i'm not in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I admire your honesty :rolleyes:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    Its not the best uni out there but its 20 for law which i though was okay and as career goals go it would be okay plus i could stay home and be with my friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    I appreciate your first reply and i think it will seriously help my decision making, thanks but as for this second remark its sad really, although i didn't put it in righting I though it was obvious that by being around other asians
    (pakistanis/indians) we'd have more things in common and it would be easier to make friends. May be thats just me but i feel if you have things in common with people its easier to get on, especially if they can understand your culture, secondly i wished to go to a university with some diversity obviously you find this at every uni but its something i wanted, thirdly i'm quite religous having come back from Umhra from Saudi Arabia a week aggo and felt where there a more muslim/asians it would be easier to find prayer/religous areas.

ReputationRep:
    Yet more university bashing :mad:

ReputationRep:
    thirdly i'm quite religous having come back from Umhra from Saudi Arabia a week aggo and felt where there a more muslim/asians it would be easier to find prayer/religous areas.
    Not necessarily. You may have more Asians etc in one university but they may be less religious themselves. This happens quite a lot if their parents came over here and the students were born in Britain etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Not necessarily. You may have more Asians etc in one university but they may be less religious themselves. This happens quite a lot if their parents came over here and the students were born in Britain etc.
    cheers, but i was just pissed off at Vienna making it sound like i was part of some backwards asian third reich (hope i spelt that right) movement

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.