x Turn on thread page Beta

Which Uni Problem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    cheers
    You're welcome.

but i was just pissed off at Vienna making it sound like i was part of some backwards asian third reich (hope i spelt that right) movement
    Perhaps Vienna advocates the work side to a degree, after all you are there to study and not party You also get self seggregation, which has caused problems. Have you heard of the Ousely Report (sp)?

You did spell Reich correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    looking at their ratings, i second that.
    What the hell?! :mad: Ratings aren't everything! I know loads of people who are at Wolverhampton University and they're doing great! Okay - so it's not performing well in the university league tables, but since when have they been the unbiased God of all decisions regarding university? The staff and students work just as damned hard as at any university you'll find in the country and if you really want that First and work hard enough for it, then you'll get it. Simple As.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate your first reply and i think it will seriously help my decision making, thanks but as for this second remark its sad really, although i didn't put it in righting I though it was obvious that by being around other asians (pakistanis/indians)
    sorry, i was under the impression you were British.

we'd have more things in common and it would be easier to make friends. May be thats just me but i feel if you have things in common with people its easier to get on,
    i agree.

especially if they can understand your culture,
    again, i was under the impression you were British.

secondly i wished to go to a university with some diversity obviously you find this at every uni but its something i wanted,
    you want diversity, yet the fact that you might be at university with people that have different colour skin is a 'disadvantage'.

ReputationRep:
    cheers, but i was just pissed off at Vienna making it sound like i was part of some backwards asian third reich (hope i spelt that right) movement
    no, just racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pradster)
    What the hell?! :mad: Ratings aren't everything! I know loads of people who are at Wolverhampton University and they're doing great! Okay - so it's not performing well in the university league tables, but since when have they been the unbiased God of all decisions regarding university? The staff and students work just as damned hard as at any university you'll find in the country and if you really want that First and work hard enough for it, then you'll get it. Simple As.
    we are talking a big difference, irrespective or the tables, irrespective of the work, irrespective of the piece of paper with your name on it, employers are generally pretty consistent when it comes to drawing a line in the acceptance sand. from the point of view of an employer, a student capable of acheiving at b'ham but then going to wolverhampton because he couldnt occupy himself with work or travel or any other activity for a year, will look much less the candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    looking at their ratings, i second that.
    What 'ratings' would these be?
    Those league tables most forumites have so little faith in when their compilers have the temerity to fail to put particular universities in the 'top ten' and yet when it comes to those unis at the bottom, they are treated like the word of God itself?

How did your own alma mater do in the 'ratings', Vienna?
    Just curious!

ReputationRep:
    Take a year out and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    What 'ratings' would these be?
    Those league tables most forumites have so little faith in when their compilers have the temerity to fail to put particular universities in the 'top ten' and yet when it comes to those unis at the bottom, they are treated like the word of God itself?

How did your own alma mater do in the 'ratings', Vienna?
    Just curious!
    the ratings based on assessment of quality. the ratings that show a distinguished gap between both institutes. both institutes are for different people. my point is, an employer is going to be mightily interested to hear why a potential and willing B'Ham candidate decided to apply to Wolverhampton instead. if that answer is because he really didnt care enough to fill a gap year with extra curricular activities or work experience then it will work against hotnanoo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    Do not, whatever you do, go to Wolverhampton University.
    You might as well go to a local primary school.
    I loved primary school!

Wolverhampton here i come!

ReputationRep:
    Law society's assessment grades from Chambers Student guide to the legal profession

Aberyswyth not listed
    notthigham Trent not listed, unless it is Nottingham Law School - Excellent
    UCE satisfactory
    Wolverhampton good
    DeMontfort good
    Birmingham very good

I know a couple of people who have done Law at Wolves and were happy with the course.

Vienna - Being British doesn't stop you having a number of cultures, or just appreciating different cultures. Studying/working in an area with a large number of asians has advantages such as being able to buy asian food or visit a mosque/gudawara/temple.

I live in Wolverhampton, it is a great place to live partly because of the number of cultures here. There are a lot of indians but also caribean, Italian and chinese people. Why not visit next spring? Come for Holi, I'm sure some coloured water would do you the world of good.

*ties a rakhi around hotnanoo's wrist*

ReputationRep:
    I would say Trent, nice city, loads of students, good rail and road links so easy to get home from. I know somebody at the uni who loves it, and I think it has a reasonable reputation and is an improving uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Law society's assessment grades from Chambers Student guide to the legal profession

Aberyswyth not listed
    UCE satisfactory
    Wolverhampton good
    DeMontfort good
    Birmingham very good
    Link? What about the Bar Council?

(Original post by sashh)
    I know a couple of people who have done Law at Wolves and were happy with the course.
    But look http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2163300.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Vienna - Being British doesn't stop you having a number of cultures, or just appreciating different cultures.
    it also doesnt mean you can suddenly start discriminating based on ethnicity.

Studying/working in an area with a large number of asians has advantages such as being able to buy asian food or visit a mosque/gudawara/temple.
    and studying with less whites?

I live in Wolverhampton, it is a great place to live partly because of the number of cultures here. There are a lot of indians but also caribean, Italian and chinese people. Why not visit next spring? Come for Holi, I'm sure some coloured water would do you the world of good.
    i think im the last person that needs to be patronised over experiencing cultures different to my own.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a British Asian student, and personally I couldn't care less about the ethnic make up of the town where I'll be heading to for university. I can see where other British Asian students are coming from though, as many seem to prefer to make friends with each other simply because of common traditions and roots.

Everyone has their own factors that help them decide which university they want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pradster)
    I'm a British Asian student, and personally I couldn't care less about the ethnic make up of the town where I'll be heading to for university. I can see where other British Asian students are coming from though, as many seem to prefer to make friends with each other simply because of common traditions and roots.
    Yes whilst I can appreciate that self seggregation can cause problems. What if I had only white or British/English friends and stated I didn't really like anything else but? I'd be criticised that's for sure and i don't see why the same logic should not apply to non-white etc ethnicities. You're in a predominantly white country after all.

ReputationRep:
    This discussion seems to have moved away from the point i was trying to get at. Fistly i would like to say I'm not racist and the ethnic side was basicaly for my own insecurities (spelt wrong).
    Thanks to the person who gave me that indian wrist thing (Rakhi?), i'v got three alreadyso its a welcomed addition and also my decision is that i'm going to reapply to Birmingham (i'v sent my papers to be remarked) but i feel worried cuz they offered me a place before but wouldn't give it to me because i was two marks off, why would they offer me a place this time, plus they're introducing admission tests this year, which makes it harder but hopefully i will excell in them.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me reach this decision (even Vienna LOL)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Yes it is.

Just go to trent it's very, very good for law.

ReputationRep:
    This discussion seems to have moved away from the point i was trying to get at. Fistly i would like to say I'm not racist and the ethnic side was basicaly for my own insecurities (spelt wrong).
    Thanks to the person who gave me that indian wrist thing (Rakhi?), i'v got three alreadyso its a welcomed addition and also my decision is that i'm going to reapply to Birmingham (i'v sent my papers to be remarked) but i feel worried cuz they offered me a place before but wouldn't give it to me because i was two marks off, why would they offer me a place this time, plus they're introducing admission tests this year, which makes it harder but hopefully i will excell in them.

hey.. was just skim reading this. missed out on the culture debate but i wasn't so interested in that.

reapply. wherever you go. reapply. if you're that few marks away, go pay for the remark. b'ham is the uni i'd go for. red brick unis will always have some form of a good reputation.

besides if you reapply you have a gap year. LAW will be excellent to have gap years in (i do sciences and it makes no sense to take a year out because you can't do as much).. if the remarks are looking blue, then by all means retake the blimming modules (at this point we shall all have tony blair at knifepoint for introducing ASs).. and in that spare time, go do law stuff.. take a course.. get some experience.. and if you're rich enough, go travelling

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know thanking me was such a difficult task.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, whoever gave me the rep about Wolverhampton University I think it's a bit 'lousy' that you give me neg rep for an opinion.
    If you don't agree, you can just put a comment on here. But I guess those who are cowardly will not do that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.