The Student Room Group

Veterinary/Animal Physiotherapy advice please

Our daughter looks as if she may not achieve the grades needed for Vet Med and is thinking about Vet Physio. I gather a fairly recent change means you can now do a first degree actually in Vet Physio, rather than the old route of doing human physio first followed by a conversion course. Is anyone at Harper Adams/Warwickshire College/ Writtle etc doing this? Any other suggestions of suitable alternative degrees to vet med?
Original post by Froglady
Our daughter looks as if she may not achieve the grades needed for Vet Med and is thinking about Vet Physio. I gather a fairly recent change means you can now do a first degree actually in Vet Physio, rather than the old route of doing human physio first followed by a conversion course. Is anyone at Harper Adams/Warwickshire College/ Writtle etc doing this? Any other suggestions of suitable alternative degrees to vet med?

Hi, I personally haven't heard of the new alternative to the human physio then vet physio route but it is good to hear that it is now an option. I hope your daughter gets onto the course that she wants! My friend did Human physio with the view to go onto to be an animal physio but she found that she actually really enjoys human physio and is going to stick with it for a while.

Another friend didn't get the grades to get into Vet Med at college but she went to a University that allowed you to start on Bioveterinary Science then switch to Vet Med after one year provided you got over a particular % overall in first year. I am not sure if that is something you have already looked into, or if it is an alternative you would like to consider.
Reply 2
Original post by physiogradmed
Hi, I personally haven't heard of the new alternative to the human physio then vet physio route but it is good to hear that it is now an option. I hope your daughter gets onto the course that she wants! My friend did Human physio with the view to go onto to be an animal physio but she found that she actually really enjoys human physio and is going to stick with it for a while.

Another friend didn't get the grades to get into Vet Med at college but she went to a University that allowed you to start on Bioveterinary Science then switch to Vet Med after one year provided you got over a particular % overall in first year. I am not sure if that is something you have already looked into, or if it is an alternative you would like to consider.

Hello, Thank you so much for contributing and taking the time to reply. I'm particularly interested to hear of your friend who started with Biovet Sci and switched to Vet Med. This has not come up as a possible option at any of the unis we have visited (Bristol, Nottingham, Surrey, RVC). Do you know where she was studying? Thanks again!
Hi,

I believe that she was studying at Nottingham, however this was approximately 5 years ago so things may have changed.
Reply 4
Hi,

I believe that she was studying at Nottingham, however this was approximately 5 years ago so things may have changed.

How interesting - we have actually been there twice and had a good chat with two of the people in admissions, one of whom was involved in the original setting up of the vet school and this was never mentioned. I'll look into it, certainly. Thanks!
How interesting - we have actually been there twice and had a good chat with two of the people in admissions, one of whom was involved in the original setting up of the vet school and this was never mentioned. I'll look into it, certainly. Thanks!

Oh interesting. Perhaps I am mistaken if the people involved in setting it up don't know about this. I shall find out which uni she went to for definite but I am 90% she went to Nottingham.
Reply 6
Oh interesting. Perhaps I am mistaken if the people involved in setting it up don't know about this. I shall find out which uni she went to for definite but I am 90% she went to Nottingham.

Thank you for going to so much trouble! Very kind. We'd be most interested to hear about her circumstances and how she got on. Thank you!
Thank you for going to so much trouble! Very kind. We'd be most interested to hear about her circumstances and how she got on. Thank you!

Hi Froglady,

I have spoken to my friend. It turns out she unexpectedly got the grades to get into vet med (she wasn't predicted them) but rather than take a year out she decided to do a year in Biovet science as she thought she might like that but also went through UCAS to apply for Vet Med for the following year and got an offer.

I know with human medicine there is a graduate entry which is an accelerated degree, I wonder if this is possible route with Vet med.

Sorry for the inaccurate info!!
Reply 8
Hi Froglady,

I have spoken to my friend. It turns out she unexpectedly got the grades to get into vet med (she wasn't predicted them) but rather than take a year out she decided to do a year in Biovet science as she thought she might like that but also went through UCAS to apply for Vet Med for the following year and got an offer.

I know with human medicine there is a graduate entry which is an accelerated degree, I wonder if this is possible route with Vet med.

Sorry for the inaccurate info!!

How kind you are going to so much trouble for us! Thank you. I guess she was a great candidate to vet med as she did actually achieve the grades AND had a year's experience of a similar degree under her belt by then. I know you can certainly do another related degree and then do have a better chance of getting on a vet med course, but obviously you'd then end up being a student for 8 years, let alone the consideration of the terrible expense these days. Thanks again for your kind help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending