Advice on A-Level Maths?

Watch this thread
dfb368
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am thinking of taking maths (OCR) next year and I was wondering if anyone had any tips so that I could begin to go over the course in the summer and advice in general!
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dfb368)
I am thinking of taking maths (OCR) next year and I was wondering if anyone had any tips so that I could begin to go over the course in the summer and advice in general!
You will be doing a new specification for A level maths if you are starting in september and taking exams in summer 2019. Be cautious of confusing input based on the current specification and you may want to wait for your teachers advice before buying any text books or other resources.

Although it still reflects the existing specification, the resources on the examsolutions.net web site would provide you with a good head start. The C1 and C2 units match fairly closely with the pure maths you will study in year 12.
dfb368
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
You will be doing a new specification for A level maths if you are starting in september and taking exams in summer 2019. Be cautious of confusing input based on the current specification and you may want to wait for your teachers advice before buying any text books or other resources.

Although it still reflects the existing specification, the resources on the examsolutions.net web site would provide you with a good head start. The C1 and C2 units match fairly closely with the pure maths you will study in year 12.
Thank you for the advice
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
There is a website called MadasMaths which currently has some papers which match the new A-level spec. I'm not sure if it matches the OCR one, but I would say it's still worth having a look at.
pcirise
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dfb368)
I got full UMS in my maths AS. My advice is that in maths (at least at A-level), practice makes perfect, so, once you've covered all the content from your textbooks, just do every single past paper from your exam board, every single solomon paper, etc. until you are getting 70+ consistently, at which point, stop practising, until a couple of days before the exam, because when you've reached that level, it's best you start focusing on your other subjects.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
7.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
10%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
12.5%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (9)
22.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
27.5%

Watched Threads