Would my son have to accept Insurance Choice offer?

Watch this thread
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#1
My son has a Conditional Firm offer from his 1st choice Uni and if all goes to plan with A levels he will start there in September.

However his Insurance choice is an unconditional offer, and he says he wishes he had taken a bit longer to decide on the insurance choice as he rejected 3 other conditional offers from better Universities with courses he would prefer.

If he fails to get into his 1st choice I imagine he is duty bound to now accept the Insurance choice? He says he would now prefer to enter clearing should he not get into his first choice and search to see what courses are available in his chosen subject.

So could you please advise on what the situation is please?

Many thanks.
0
reply
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#2
Report 4 years ago
#2
(Original post by Bernadette04)
My son has a Conditional Firm offer from his 1st choice Uni and if all goes to plan with A levels he will start there in September.

However his Insurance choice is an unconditional offer, and he says he wishes he had taken a bit longer to decide on the insurance choice as he rejected 3 other conditional offers from better Universities with courses he would prefer.

If he fails to get into his 1st choice I imagine he is duty bound to now accept the Insurance choice? He says he would now prefer to enter clearing should he not get into his first choice and search to see what courses are available in his chosen subject.

So could you please advise on what the situation is please?

Many thanks.
He needs to contact the insurance uni asap and tell them he would prefer not to have an insurance offer. They can then arrange to reject him, so that he can go into Clearing instead. But he needs to do this now - if he waits until results day, there will be a delay before he can enter Clearing and thus all the good places may be gone.
0
reply
Ainur123
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#3
Report 4 years ago
#3
Just as user abiove mentioned - get him to contact the insurance uni. Make sure he's certain about his decision to prevent later regrets!
0
reply
Tubbz
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#4
Report 4 years ago
#4
If he rejects the reserve offer, and nothing appears in clearing, he runs the risk of having to defer a year, or potentially end up on a worse course.

It's a gamble of a decision, and could potentially result in quite a bad situation.

I'm not suggesting he should just take it, but there is a risk that he could end up with no place, or at least not on a course he's interested in.
0
reply
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#5
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#5
Thank you all for your advice.

I personally think it's too risky to cancel the insurance choice and he says he will make a decion in the next 24 hours.

I understand Uni's need to know projected numbers early, but a lot changes with young people between putting their 5 Uni options in preference to A level results day. At the time my son thought an unconditional offer was a route into Uni whatever the outcome and was a passport into Uni for 2017, but he now sees the rejection of the other 3 Uni's as too hasty, especially one of the better ones.

Thanks again.
0
reply
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#6
Report 4 years ago
#6
(Original post by Bernadette04)
Thank you all for your advice.

I personally think it's too risky to cancel the insurance choice and he says he will make a decion in the next 24 hours.

I understand Uni's need to know projected numbers early, but a lot changes with young people between putting their 5 Uni options in preference to A level results day. At the time my son thought an unconditional offer was a route into Uni whatever the outcome and was a passport into Uni for 2017, but he now sees the rejection of the other 3 Uni's as too hasty, especially one of the better ones.

Thanks again.
What's the course? And which universities is he considering?

If he doesn't reject his Insurance now there can be a very significant delay in doing so on Results Day making it more likely any Clearing places have gone before he can apply.

There's no point in him going to a university he no longer is interested in. Worst case is he takes a gap and reapplies next year. Not such a bad option as there will be less panic and more choice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
1
reply
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#7
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#7
(Original post by Doonesbury)
What's the course? And which universities is he considering?

If he doesn't reject his Insurance now there can be a very significant delay in doing so on Results Day making it more likely any Clearing places have gone before he can apply.

There's no point in him going to a university he no longer is interested in. Worst case is he takes a gap and reapplies next year. Not such a bad option as there will be less panic and more choice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
The course is Religious Studies and he rejected Cardiff and Lancaster mainly due to the fact he has autism and the campus sites were too large and one of the courses offered a year abroad, which on reflection he now feels he could possibly cope with, but at the time he felt would be too much for him.

He is very keen on his first choice Uni and the campus is small and perfect for him and he is almost certain he has done enough to get in there. As a bit of an anxious worrier, he always looks at Plan B, which in this case was his insurance choice. Now he just isn't so keen on the Insurance choice and wishes he had opted for either Cardiff or Lancaster.
0
reply
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#8
Report 4 years ago
#8
(Original post by Bernadette04)
The course is Religious Studies and he rejected Cardiff and Lancaster mainly due to the fact he has autism and the campus sites were too large and one of the courses offered a year abroad, which on reflection he now feels he could possibly cope with, but at the time he felt would be too much for him.

He is very keen on his first choice Uni and the campus is small and perfect for him and he is almost certain he has done enough to get in there. As a bit of an anxious worrier, he always looks at Plan B, which in this case was his insurance choice. Now he just isn't so keen on the Insurance choice and wishes he had opted for either Cardiff or Lancaster.
Tagging PQ for advice on whether it's now too late to contact his original offers and ask if they can be reissued.... (I think there's a deadline just passed or fast approaching.)
1
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#9
Report 4 years ago
#9
(Original post by Bernadette04)
The course is Religious Studies and he rejected Cardiff and Lancaster mainly due to the fact he has autism and the campus sites were too large and one of the courses offered a year abroad, which on reflection he now feels he could possibly cope with, but at the time he felt would be too much for him.

He is very keen on his first choice Uni and the campus is small and perfect for him and he is almost certain he has done enough to get in there. As a bit of an anxious worrier, he always looks at Plan B, which in this case was his insurance choice. Now he just isn't so keen on the Insurance choice and wishes he had opted for either Cardiff or Lancaster.
He needs to contact Cardiff or Lancaster and ask if they'll still honour the offer as his insurance. If they will then he needs to contact his insurance and ucas and ask to swap his insurance to either Cardiff or Lancaster. Once both universities notify ucas that they'll agree to the swap then ucas will amend Track.

He's got a few weeks left to arrange things (after that ucas locks down their systems until results day) so getting on the phone asap is important. Don't rely upon email. If he isn't confident using the phone then he can give his consent over the phone for universities and ucas to discuss his application with you.
2
reply
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#10
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#10
Thank you for the advice. We will get onto it all tomorrow and sort things out. Very kind of you to help us out on this issue.
1
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.12%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
10.87%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.25%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.39%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (37)
26.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.57%

Watched Threads

View All