I couldnt see the number plate? (Driving test)

Watch
tillyteewee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,
So im preparing for my driving test. Today I had a lesson, and I asked my instructor if I could practice reading a number plate to check my eye sight. It was quite far and I said I couldn't read it, so he said 'oh no worries and walked about 4 meters closer, and I could.
But what worries me is that in my driving test, if I can't see the plate will the examiner give me another shot at a closer view?
My eyesight is about -2.5 in each eye give or take it does have a tendency of dropping fast so I dont know what it is now, but for me I get 'panic blindness' if someone puts me on the spot.

edit: i do wear glasses! this is with my glasses
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This thread should be in Learning to Drive. Tagging AngryJellyfish to get it moved.

The examiner will know where to stand to test your eyesight at the correct distance. Odds are with your instructor, you were too far away.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The examiner doesn't have to give you another attempt, as long as the first one was exact to DVSA standards.

I think this can vary by test centre but normally, an examiner will not do an exact eyesight test - they'll pick a car nearby and move until you're around the right distance, then ask you to read it. If you get it wrong, the examiner needs to do an exact test before they can actually fail you, which means busting out a measuring tape and putting you exactly 20 metres from the car and giving you another attempt.

So you probably don't have much to worry about, but if you're still concerned maybe find a friend and a tape measurer and try reading numberplates from the exact distance, to see if you need to wear glasses or not.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
This thread should be in Learning to Drive. Tagging AngryJellyfish to get it moved.

The examiner will know where to stand to test your eyesight at the correct distance. Odds are with your instructor, you were too far away.
Done
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
The examiner doesn't have to give you another attempt, as long as the first one was exact to DVSA standards.

I think this can vary by test centre but normally, an examiner will not do an exact eyesight test - they'll pick a car nearby and move until you're around the right distance, then ask you to read it. If you get it wrong, the examiner needs to do an exact test before they can actually fail you, which means busting out a measuring tape and putting you exactly 20 metres from the car and giving you another attempt.

So you probably don't have much to worry about, but if you're still concerned maybe find a friend and a tape measurer and try reading numberplates from the exact distance, to see if you need to wear glasses or not.
I thought they do one at a rough 20m distance but if you can't do it then they get out there tape measure and measure 20.5m and then that's when you have to get it right.
masterparth
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why don't you wear glasses...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
I thought they do one at a rough 20m distance but if you can't do it then they get out there tape measure and measure 20.5m and then that's when you have to get it right.
That's what I just said. The DVSA guidelines do say that only one attempt at the eyesight test will be given, but unless it's accurately measured the examiner cannot actually fail you for the first attempt.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tillyteewee)
Hi guys,
So im preparing for my driving test. Today I had a lesson, and I asked my instructor if I could practice reading a number plate to check my eye sight. It was quite far and I said I couldn't read it, so he said 'oh no worries and walked about 4 meters closer, and I could.
But what worries me is that in my driving test, if I can't see the plate will the examiner give me another shot at a closer view?
My eyesight is about -2.5 in each eye give or take it does have a tendency of dropping fast so I dont know what it is now, but for me I get 'panic blindness' if someone puts me on the spot.
Go to the opticians to see if you need glasses. Might be short sighted?
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
That's what I just said. The DVSA guidelines do say that only one attempt at the eyesight test will be given, but unless it's accurately measured the examiner cannot actually fail you for the first attempt.
Ah my apoligies. I misread xD
tillyteewee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Jack22031994)
Go to the opticians to see if you need glasses. Might be short sighted?
I do wear glasses
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tillyteewee)
I do wear glasses
Maybe you need a new prescription?
Alou123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I’m actually having the same problem. I was asked on my lesson today to do this and I couldn’t see until moving closer.
accountant-future
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alou123)
Hi I’m actually having the same problem. I was asked on my lesson today to do this and I couldn’t see until moving closer.
If you’re that worried about it then buy a tape measure.

Can pick up a cheap 5m one, so just measure 4 full ones and half a metre extra. Then you have the 20.5m required distance.

It’s actually not that far really. I wear glasses so my eyesight is as bad as anyone’s and I read it easily.
EvilShubunkin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
Get three attempts:

From DT1:

Care should be taken to select a clean number plate on a vehicle, which can be clearly viewed. The candidate should first be asked to read a number plate containing symbols 79 mm high, which is obviously more than 20 metres away. If the candidate is unsuccessful, they should be asked to read another plate and, if necessary, allowed to walk forward until it is just over the appropriate distance away.

If the second plate is not read correctly, the examiner must use the official tape to measure the precise distance from a third plate.
Mickey976
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can just see over 20 metres. But In the actual test how far do thy test u from 23m, 25m?
accountant-future
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mickey976)
I can just see over 20 metres. But In the actual test how far do thy test u from 23m, 25m?
20m or 20.5m if it’s an old style number plate I believe.
lolota
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi what happened to your test . did you pass ? . i have same eye sight problem .
tillyteewee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey I passed ages ago! Really wasnt an issue x
(Original post by lolota)
hi what happened to your test . did you pass ? . i have same eye sight problem .
lolota
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
did you do the driving test ?
lolota
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
did you do the driving test ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.08%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.45%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (646)
49.16%

Watched Threads