shajan.m.99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have put together a list of the universities I'd like to apply to starting this September, as given below:
1. LSE for Economics and Economic History
2. LSE for Economics with Economic History (I have my reasons for applying to 2 courses which are nearly identical at the same uni. They're in different departments so there is no threat for my personal statement to be read by the same admissions tutor)
3. UCL for Economics
4. Warwick for Economics
(I have a profound interest in Economic History along with Economics, but the other 2 unis apart from LSE don't offer a course in Econ Hist, they only offer modules for econ history within their econ course.)

For my fifth option, I'm confused. Should I apply to Cambridge (for either Economics or Land Economy), which is by far one of the most competitive universities to get in to? Or should I apply to the University of Manchester (for Economics), which is comparatively less competitive than any of the universities I've mentioned here, making it a safer bet and a last resort should I not receive offers from any other unis?

Below is a brief profile breakdown of me:

GCSE grades: 6 A*s, 1 A, 2 B's
AS level grades: pending, but I am expecting 3 a's
My term grades within school have been good, with mostly A's and just an occasional B here and there. My subjects are Math, Physics, and Economics.
Other achievements:
1.Completed an internship at the best investment and asset management firm in the country, in the business development department.
2. Hopefully will do another internship at a government office for strategic planning and policy making.
3. Have won a few inter-school rowing competitions. Will go to China for an international rowing competition in the coming weeks.
4. Headboy during year 11 for my my school and prefect during year 10.
5. Performed really well in a few math competitions.
6. Have had lead roles in 2 annual school theatrical productions.
7. I have a couple community service projects lined up, including one which aims to eradicate polio from Pakistan, one of the 3 countries where polio still exists.

I realise that I'll need a smashing personal statement if I'm hopeful for any uni. Just want your opinion on what whether I should go with Cambridge or play it safe with Manchester.
WhiteScythe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd apply to Cam, no reason not to. You'll get all your other offers anyway (although LSE require an A* prediction for maths I think) so give it a go
trooper8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You've applied to many competitive courses which I think is risky. I cant say whether or not you should apply to cambridge cos im not in the best position to make that judgement although i personally think you should. But you should also try and apply for some less competitive courses as a back up.
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
LSE Economics is just as competitive as Cambridge Economics (if there's a difference it's negligible). LSE is also in London so has far more opportunities just from its location.

I'd apply for Cambridge though. The Cambridge name simply opens doors wherever you go.
Inker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yes you're fine for cambridge. i received offers from UCL, LSE and warwick with a profile far worse than yours
why do you only have 3 AS's though?
just make sure you dont sound like a cocky dipshit in your personal statement and that's my best advice for you
shajan.m.99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inker)
yes you're fine for cambridge. i received offers from UCL, LSE and warwick with a profile far worse than yours
why do you only have 3 AS's though?
just make sure you dont sound like a cocky dipshit in your personal statement and that's my best advice for you
I had Further Math as a 4th subject which my school required for me to start studying it in year 12 despite the fact that I'd have to give the exam for it in year 13 as an A level, not as AS level. There was no room left for me to pick a 4th AS (although I do have general studies, i know it doesn't count)
I gave up on Further though, because the level of devotion and time I had to give it hindered my performance in my other subjects.

Any tips for LSE, UCL and Warwick though? I'd highly appreciate it
shajan.m.99
Rep:
?
(Original post by trooper8)
You've applied to many competitive courses which I think is risky.
Yes, I realize. I do plan on revising my choices to make sure if I really want to go with the risk or change a choice or two
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Benmor91)
Yeah Cam will like the rowing especially.
Actually, unrelated activities aren't taken into account at all.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shajan.m.99)
I have put together a list of the universities I'd like to apply to starting this September, as given below:
1. LSE for Economics and Economic History
2. LSE for Economics with Economic History (I have my reasons for applying to 2 courses which are nearly identical at the same uni. They're in different departments so there is no threat for my personal statement to be read by the same admissions tutor)
3. UCL for Economics
4. Warwick for Economics
(I have a profound interest in Economic History along with Economics, but the other 2 unis apart from LSE don't offer a course in Econ Hist, they only offer modules for econ history within their econ course.)

For my fifth option, I'm confused. Should I apply to Cambridge (for either Economics or Land Economy), which is by far one of the most competitive universities to get in to? Or should I apply to the University of Manchester (for Economics), which is comparatively less competitive than any of the universities I've mentioned here, making it a safer bet and a last resort should I not receive offers from any other unis?

Below is a brief profile breakdown of me:

GCSE grades: 6 A*s, 1 A, 2 B's
AS level grades: pending, but I am expecting 3 a's
My term grades within school have been good, with mostly A's and just an occasional B here and there. My subjects are Math, Physics, and Economics.
Other achievements:
1.Completed an internship at the best investment and asset management firm in the country, in the business development department.
2. Hopefully will do another internship at a government office for strategic planning and policy making.
3. Have won a few inter-school rowing competitions. Will go to China for an international rowing competition in the coming weeks.
4. Headboy during year 11 for my my school and prefect during year 10.
5. Performed really well in a few math competitions.
6. Have had lead roles in 2 annual school theatrical productions.
7. I have a couple community service projects lined up, including one which aims to eradicate polio from Pakistan, one of the 3 countries where polio still exists.

I realise that I'll need a smashing personal statement if I'm hopeful for any uni. Just want your opinion on what whether I should go with Cambridge or play it safe with Manchester.
It'll be just one of 5 choices, so as long as you're very confident you'll get an offer for at least one of 4 other choices, no harm in applying to Cambridge.
However, I'm a bit concerned about your strong interest being economic history and your weakness in maths at gcse.
How is your maths now? As long as it's improved since then and you're on a course to achieve A*'(preferably with high UMS), B in gcse maths won't damage the chance but please be aware economics at Cambridge is VERY maths-heavy. So, if your maths is not one of your strongest subjects, you may not enjoy their course. And majority of successful applicants have Further Maths, too. A-level Economics is not a required A-level for their course but FM is highly recommended. This shows how much maths-focused their economics is. If your school doesn't offer FM, it's advisable to self-study at least statistics.

So, I think, at this stage, the most important thing for you is find out about their course content as much as possible (quite a lot on the department's website) and see if that's a sort of course you like.
Land Economy has some element of economics within the course, but it's very different from an economics course. They only teach basic fundamentals of economics in the first year (sort of basic introduction) and some applications of economic theories thereafter in some subjects, but it's definitely not a study on economics like a true economics course.
Afaik, Warwick's course is quite maths-oriented, too.
If you like economics history, PPE at Oxford or Durham may be more to your liking than Cambridge's Economics.

And, yes, you're right, extracurricular things that's not related to your subject and head boy/etc. won't interest Cambridge.
Good personal statement is fine, but what they're really looking for is a very strong set of academic records, esp. in maths.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
/pops into thread
/looks around
/further replies aren't needed
:getmecoat:
JerkytheTurkey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Benmor91)
Yeah Cam will like the rowing especially. And providing you keep high grades up, why not
Rowing won't make much of a difference though. NVM just saw this has already been brought up.
shajan.m.99
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincrows)
It'll be just one of 5 choices, so as long as you're very confident you'll get an offer for at least one of 4 other choices, no harm in applying to Cambridge.
However, I'm a bit concerned about your strong interest being economic history and your weakness in maths at gcse.
How is your maths now? As long as it's improved since then and you're on a course to achieve A*'(preferably with high UMS), B in gcse maths won't damage the chance but please be aware economics at Cambridge is VERY maths-heavy. So, if your maths is not one of your strongest subjects, you may not enjoy their course. And majority of successful applicants have Further Maths, too. A-level Economics is not a required A-level for their course but FM is highly recommended. This shows how much maths-focused their economics is. If your school doesn't offer FM, it's advisable to self-study at least statistics.

Good personal statement is fine, but what they're really looking for is a very strong set of academic records, esp. in maths.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't specify. I have an A* in both GCSE math and additional math. I very much love math, it's definitely one of my favorite subjects. It's just that I couldn't cope with the speed at which my school was teaching me further math. I thought it better to have good grades across all my subjects rather than just have a good grade in further math while all other subs lagged behind, so I gave up on it mid-way.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shajan.m.99)
Oh I'm sorry I didn't specify. I have an A* in both GCSE math and additional math. I very much love math, it's definitely one of my favorite subjects. It's just that I couldn't cope with the speed at which my school was teaching me further math. I thought it better to have good grades across all my subjects rather than just have a good grade in further math while all other subs lagged behind, so I gave up on it mid-way.
The most important subjects for Cambridge economics is maths. It's really good you love maths, but its a bit worrying you couldn't complete AS FM because of the way your school was teaching it. Were there other students who dropped it midway like you?
Courses at Cambridge is quite intense, you need to have ability to cope with both volume and speed of the work.......and to be able to persevere. If it was a common problem with your school's FM takers, that's really unfortunate for you and I have full sympathy, but if it was just your problem, it's a bit worrying.

Anyway, my advice remains same as before. Have some research on course content of all unis you're interested in as much details as possible, and make sure they offer a right course for you. And if you decide to apply to Cambridge, try self-studying some modules of FM, esp. statistics and if possible, decisions, too. Perhaps some teachers at your school can help you with that?

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.01%
England (109)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.36%
Germany (38)
11.76%
Spain (6)
1.86%