Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Yeah, i suppose so. He's needed to change his role, and has done so well, but still isn't a natural there. And Wiltord isn't even a good striker in my opinion, only an average one.
    Well giggs would play a different style of game, but i think he would be better in that sort of position.

The problem with english clubs is they all seem (apart from chelsea, and arguably Liverpool (although i really dont like Heskey)), to only have one top class striker. I think that maybe thats why all english clubs before now haven't done so well in europe.

No, i wouldn't say they did yet, but both sides are fairly close, and with arsenals money tied up in the new stadium, i think they could overtake them within two seasons.
    Once again, I agree with you, but Liverpool only have one top class striker. Heskey isn't one of them. 2 years ago Bergkamp was still a top class striker. Wiltord has actually scored a few goals already this season, maybe he'll proove himself if he's given an upfront role, which he hasn't had for the last 2 seasons, but don't expect him to be around next season.

ReputationRep:
    I have always been a huge fan of arsenal. He was spectacular in Arsenal's 1998 tital win. I do feel now though that he has lost his sharpnedd but has adapted well. I think Wiltord may start to play more frequently with Henry as the season progresses.

Liverpool will end up challenging only for UEFA cup this season with Man City and Blackburn being their main rivals. Blackburn may even manage to grab the 4th champions league spot, because I cant see Newcastle or Liverpool finishing that high. That's just my opinion though, and Newcastle could quite easily get a run together and prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't ITV1 show the Chelsea match instead the crap ManU one yesterday :rolleyes: . Or at least they should have swapped at half time .

ReputationRep:
    I felt Celtic were unlucky to lose to Bayern, but I guess these are the way things happen. Celtic were short of their best defenders (bar Balde, who is superb), and Bayern's attacking flair and prowess certainly showed in the 2nd half. I don't think I've seen many teams that are as good around the box as bayern. They have some terrific long-shooters e.g. Ballack, Makaay, Ze Roberto. I've seen them play in the Bundesliga a couple of times this season, and they look good when on song.

It was good to see Arsenal get outplayed at Lowbury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I felt Celtic were unlucky to lose to Bayern, but I guess these are the way things happen. Celtic were short of their best defenders (bar Balde, who is superb), and Bayern's attacking flair and prowess certainly showed in the 2nd half. I don't think I've seen many teams that are as good around the box as bayern. They have some terrific long-shooters e.g. Ballack, Makaay, Ze Roberto. I've seen them play in the Bundesliga a couple of times this season, and they look good when on song.

It was good to see Arsenal get outplayed at Lowbury.
    we were pissed on from a great height tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal 0 - 3 Internazionale!

What a great result to add to that of Man Utd's 5-0 thrashing of Panathinaikos. Of course, Sunday will be the moment of truth...

ReputationRep:
    Stam wasn't anthing special, and certainly has never been the best centre back in the country.
    i am being informed this is *******s.
    stam was the best defender in england and in his last season at PSV one of the best in europe.
    he was certainly better than what united own now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i suppose so. He's needed to change his role, and has done so well, but still isn't a natural there. And Wiltord isn't even a good striker in my opinion, only an average one.
    Well giggs would play a different style of game, but i think he would be better in that sort of position.

The problem with english clubs is they all seem (apart from chelsea, and arguably Liverpool (although i really dont like Heskey)), to only have one top class striker. I think that maybe thats why all english clubs before now haven't done so well in europe.

No, i wouldn't say they did yet, but both sides are fairly close, and with arsenals money tied up in the new stadium, i think they could overtake them within two seasons.
    Bergkamp started out as a right-winger and then played on No.10. He is by FAR better than ryan Giggs as a no 10 even at his age.

Wiltord is average. Henry is not actually a world-class 'striker', a great player but Van Nistelrooy needs less chances in front of goal. Man utd have better strikers than Liverpool and Chelsea.

If you look at Arsenal 0 - 3 Inter, Inter Milan has a very average striker force compared to Arsenals. I dont think this has anything to do with English teams in the European cup..

An English club needs to buy the best striker in Europe, outside of the top 3 leagues: Mateja KEZMAN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Bergkamp started out as a right-winger and then played on No.10. He is by FAR better than ryan Giggs as a no 10 even at his age.

Wiltord is average. Henry is not actually a world-class 'striker', a great player but Van Nistelrooy needs less chances in front of goal. Man utd have better strikers than Liverpool and Chelsea.

If you look at Arsenal 0 - 3 Inter, Inter Milan has a very average striker force compared to Arsenals. I dont think this has anything to do with English teams in the European cup..

An English club needs to buy the best striker in Europe, outside of the top 3 leagues: Mateja KEZMAN.
    Bergkamp isn't, and hasn't ever been in the same league in playing ability.

Well yeah, technically, but although Nistelrooy is just about the best striker in the world (certainly the best goal scorer), i'm afraid that man u dont have better striker's really. Giggs is still a midfielder, and although he's good up front, it isn't realy his strength, and Fergie's obsession with solskjaer in midfield is puzzling. Forlan could be good if he play's better, and Ronaldo has played that role in the past, but man u don't really have two top quality out and out strikers.

Well i wasn't talking about specific teams really, but the top quality, champions league winning sides usually seem to have a top quality attacking pair. Think back to Man u's victory, and although it was because of Teddy Sheringham (who's still playing well BTW) and solskjaer, Cole and Yorke were really good together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Why didn't ITV1 show the Chelsea match instead the crap ManU one yesterday :rolleyes: . Or at least they should have swapped at half time .
    Well i do have to partly agree. Although the thrashing was satisfying to watch, the actual performance wasn't brilliant by either side (although if united needed to they had about another four gears to go up to).

Footballs a funny game

ReputationRep:
    If Henry isn't a world class striker, then why is he regarded as one by most clubs. Also, I doubt that Barcelona will get their hands on him next year, so back off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    If Henry isn't a world class striker, then why is he regarded as one by most clubs. Also, I doubt that Barcelona will get their hands on him next year, so back off.
    He's certainly in that sort of world class bracket, not sure to what extent exactly compared to others though, certainly not in the top 5, but maybe top 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    because he's not deadly enough in the box. He's a world class player. He can beat anyone and can create something from nothing but in the 6 yard box id rather have about 5 or 6 other strikers.

ReputationRep:
    Bergkamp isn't, and hasn't ever been in the same league in playing ability.

Well yeah, technically, but although Nistelrooy is just about the best striker in the world (certainly the best goal scorer), i'm afraid that man u dont have better striker's really. Giggs is still a midfielder, and although he's good up front, it isn't realy his strength, and Fergie's obsession with solskjaer in midfield is puzzling. Forlan could be good if he play's better, and Ronaldo has played that role in the past, but man u don't really have two top quality out and out strikers.

Well i wasn't talking about specific teams really, but the top quality, champions league winning sides usually seem to have a top quality attacking pair. Think back to Man u's victory, and although it was because of Teddy Sheringham (who's still playing well BTW) and solskjaer, Cole and Yorke were really good together.
    one might prefer Giggs' playing style, but to say he's a much better player you need to be blind. did you ever see Bergkamp at Ajax?
    Solskjaer and van Nistelrooy is much better than Owen Heskey and Henry Wiltord.

ReputationRep:
    He's certainly in that sort of world class bracket, not sure to what extent exactly compared to others though, certainly not in the top 5, but maybe top 10
    Many many rate him in the top 5. He hasn't hit form this season yet and everyone playing behind him have been playing absolute crap.

ReputationRep:
    if hes not in the top 5, whos above him?

ReputationRep:
    one might prefer Giggs' playing style, but to say he's a much better player you need to be blind. did you ever see Bergkamp at Ajax?
    Solskjaer and van Nistelrooy is much better than Owen Heskey and Henry Wiltord.
    Blind??? I saw Bergkamp at Ajax, and although he was good, Giggs is easily better.

Yeah, i do agree, but solskjaer doesn't seem to play up front much now (which is another thing i disagree with fergie on), but yeah, when he does, man u do have a better partnership, on paper at least.
    I still dont believe solskjaer's 30 though.

ReputationRep:
    if hes not in the top 5, whos above him?
    Well Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Raul, Shevshenko, Kluivert, Mutu, Vieri, Owen, Rooney. And then there are ones who are comparable, or hard to compare.

ReputationRep:
    Well Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Raul, Shevshenko, Kluivert, Mutu, Vieri, Owen, Rooney. And then there are ones who are comparable, or hard to compare.
    I accept the van, Ron, Raul, Sve, Vieri. I'm not saying Henry's worse than them, but its difficult to compare them, and they're on around the same level.

Mutu? He scores a couple of goals and everyone's pulling themselves off looking at him. He's gotta show that hes a class act in the prem year in year out to even be compared to Henry.

Kluivert, haven't seen a lot of him lately, but I don't think he's been playing very well.

Owen, one of those annoying people who can do nothing all game and then score. Not as good all-round as Henry and certainly not a very much better finisher.

Rooney, a young talent who could become one of the best in the world. He needs to show over the next few years that he is one of the best before comparisons can be made. He's not going to do that at Everton.

ReputationRep:
    Mutu, Owen and Rooney better than Henry? haha.

Kluivert is a great player, better technically than Henry if thats possible but i dont think hes much better than Henry in scoring and that would carry for Shevchenko aswell.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.