Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    all photos from the bristolian picture thread have now been forwarded to Clifton Police Station for further investigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    all photos from the bristolian picture thread have now been forwarded to Clifton Police Station for further investigation
    :eek: You can't prove anything!
    *hides*

ReputationRep:
    we've nearly finished padlocking every traffic cone to the road. Took us all summer, it did.

ReputationRep:
    glad Im not on there

ReputationRep:
    well Im glad to be going to badock, I would have liked a sink, but I think ur all a moany lot if you think its gonna be that bad. Im interrailing at the mo and have learnt the meaning of bad accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifer)
    well Im glad to be going to badock, I would have liked a sink, but I think ur all a moany lot if you think its gonna be that bad. Im interrailing at the mo and have learnt the meaning of bad accomodation.
    i went to badock last year and it's not that bad. although my mum did cry when she saw my room

ReputationRep:
    my mum did cry when she saw my room
    Ahh, bless her!

ReputationRep:
    Just had a horrible thought - I better not be on a single sex floor
    Is there any way of knowing in advance whether they are or not? My course is male-dominated enough, I hope my accommodation's not entirely male too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Just had a horrible thought - I better not be on a single sex floor
    Is there any way of knowing in advance whether they are or not? My course is male-dominated enough, I hope my accommodation's not entirely male too...
    i was on a single-sex floor, i think most of the accomodation in badock is split up into male/female floors.

e.g. in units 3 and 4, boys on ground floor, girls on 1st, boys on 2nd, girls on 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    i was on a single-sex floor, i think most of the accomodation in badock is split up into male/female floors.

e.g. in units 3 and 4, boys on ground floor, girls on 1st, boys on 2nd, girls on 3rd.
    Ah right, not *too* bad then. I'm on the first floor of unit 3.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, not *too* bad then. I'm on the first floor of unit 3.
    which day are you going down to bristol? i remember last year going on the sunday in the car with my parents and listening to radio 1 - that annoying "where is the love?" song was playing and i will forever associate that song with arriving at badock. just make sure that you're listening to some decent music when you pull up at the car park!

ReputationRep:
    i was in the weirdly detached unit 1 which you can see from the field-facing side of unit 3.

which day are you going down to bristol? i remember last year going on the sunday in the car with my parents and listening to radio 1 - that annoying "where is the love?" song was playing and i will forever associate that song with arriving at badock. just make sure that you're listening to some decent music when you pull up at the car park!
    Hehe
    I'm off down on Sunday - we normally have Radio 2 on in the car (it's about the only station we all like) but Sunday radio is always crap. It's a law or something, so god knows what we'll have on.

Really looking forward to it now - can't wait to get stuck in there, and get down to the bar! Apparently my department are taking us on a trip to the Eden Project on the Wednesday of Freshers' Week (When I first read it, I thought "that's miles away from here" - forgetting I'll be in Bristol )

ReputationRep:
    Hehe
    I'm off down on Sunday - we normally have Radio 2 on in the car (it's about the only station we all like) but Sunday radio is always crap. It's a law or something, so god knows what we'll have on.
    be warned, the special track will haunt you until your dying day so be careful!

you've brought back a few memories, on the first night at badock i went to the bar with a few neighbours and got absolutely trollied on stella. i ended up feeling sick with a good quantity of sick gathering in my mouth, only to emit it on the unit 3/4 staircase got a special mention from the warden in the big hall meeting the following day, although noone knew it was me as i kept it a well-guarded secret (at least until the week after!).

Really looking forward to it now - can't wait to get stuck in there, and get down to the bar! Apparently my department are taking us on a trip to the Eden Project on the Wednesday of Freshers' Week (When I first read it, I thought "that's miles away from here" - forgetting I'll be in Bristol )
    you will really enjoy freshers week! a perfect excuse to get as drunk as you like infront of people you don't really know! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    you will really enjoy freshers week! a perfect excuse to get as drunk as you like infront of people you don't really know! :cool:
    Sounds about right :cool:
    I see they've got things like a School Disco night and a Retro night planned. I think I might borrow my mates pimp suit for the latter and take it down
    There's a quiz night too, so I can "show off" how much useless crap I know. It's tragic, it really is. If only I could remember *important* things.
    What are the prices like in the bar? I have to admit, I prefer to drink cider (sometimes with blackcurrant too - so much for the hard northern b*stard tetley's drinker stereotype) - lager doesn't agree with me in large quantities.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds about right :cool:
    I see they've got things like a School Disco night and a Retro night planned. I think I might borrow my mates pimp suit for the latter and take it down
    yeah, i saw the freshers' timetable on the 'returners' mail-out. looks pretty similar to last year so you should have fun. i'll certainly be venturing out for a few nights when i'm not attached to the bloody hospital.

There's a quiz night too, so I can "show off" how much useless crap I know. It's tragic, it really is. If only I could remember *important* things.
    What are the prices like in the bar? I have to admit, I prefer to drink cider (sometimes with blackcurrant too - so much for the hard northern b*stard tetley's drinker stereotype) - lager doesn't agree with me in large quantities.
    quiz nights are always fun they always seem much harder than the weakest link though, but not quite as taxing as university challenge. prices in the bar? well i think carling was just over £1/pint, where as stella was about £1.40. badock is one of the cheaper bars, although i quite liked wills bar as well - you'll need to go on a hall bar tour at some point.

ReputationRep:
    quiz nights are always fun they always seem much harder than the weakest link though, but not quite as taxing as university challenge. prices in the bar? well i think carling was just over £1/pint, where as stella was about £1.40. badock is one of the cheaper bars, although i quite liked wills bar as well - you'll need to go on a hall bar tour at some point.
    Oh don't worry, I'm sure I'll venture out - a friend of mine's in Wills, so I'll go and visit him there once we've settled in. Beats walking all the way down to the union anyway, and having to get the bus back.
    I'm going to take my squash and badminton rackets down too, get playing them fairly early on, and hopefully meet a few people that way.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't worry, I'm sure I'll venture out - a friend of mine's in Wills, so I'll go and visit him there once we've settled in. Beats walking all the way down to the union anyway, and having to get the bus back.
    in all my time there i think i've only been to the epi (union bar) twice! it's too far out of the way and not really worth bothering.

the berkerly will become your out-of-hall local - it's a wetherspoons pub opposite the Wills Memorial Building and is an extreme favourite with students.

by the way, it's your duty as a bristol university student to argue and mock UWE students. there's an ongoing uni war with them which needs to be continued!

I'm going to take my squash and badminton rackets down too, get playing them fairly early on, and hopefully meet a few people that way.
    good idea, certainly a quick way to network!

ReputationRep:
    the berkerly will become your out-of-hall local - it's a wetherspoons pub opposite the Wills Memorial Building and is an extreme favourite with students.
    Is that the one with the domed roof where you can hear conversations from the other side because of the acoustics? My brother said he went there when he visited.

by the way, it's your duty as a bristol university student to argue and mock UWE students. there's an ongoing uni war with them which needs to be continued!
    Consider it done

ReputationRep:
    Is that the one with the domed roof where you can hear conversations from the other side because of the acoustics? My brother said he went there when he visited.
    that's the one. otherwise referred to by sloanes as the "cattle market". and there's me thinking i was the only one that could hear other people's conversations

if you're feeling particularly posh and it's nice weather, a good place to take someone (whether it be a newly acquired female friend or your parents/ a group of posh people) is the Avon Gorge Hotel. it overlooks the clifton suspension bridge and does good food and bar.

if your parents want to take you to lunch when they drop you off on sunday (mine didn't, but quite a few people go off with their parents for an hour if they arrive at lunchtime at hall)...is either "Lords" or "Browns". both of which are good restaurants reviewed in the "Bristol Guide".

ReputationRep:
    that's the one. otherwise referred to by sloanes as the "cattle market". and there's me thinking i was the only one that could hear other people's conversations

if you're feeling particularly posh and it's nice weather, a good place to take someone (whether it be a newly acquired female friend or your parents/ a group of posh people) is the Avon Gorge Hotel. it overlooks the clifton suspension bridge and does good food and bar.

if your parents want to take you to lunch when they drop you off on sunday (mine didn't, but quite a few people go off with their parents for an hour if they arrive at lunchtime at hall)...is either "Lords" or "Browns". both of which are good restaurants reviewed in the "Bristol Guide".
    With the timing of it, it looks like we'll probably be eating on Motorway services... I'm sure they'll be down plenty of times when I can get a free meal off them - my mum's quite fond of Bristol; she did her PGCE from here, and is from Somerset. The UBU guide is very good too for restaurant/cafe/pub/club/bar recommendations, I was very impressed with it. I bought the Itchy Bristol guide aswell, which is useful.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.