The Student Room Group

Gap medics this summer help!!!

To go or not to go? That is the question.
I wanted to ask opinions on whether it would be a good idea to spend 1 week in Poland on gap medics in the summer as I want to put it on my ucas for 2018 entry or where I should try to get local placements and then go to Poland at christmas?
Take a look at this document. It's very useful.

This statement in it relates to work experience abroad:

"Medical schools do not generally support or encourage overseas clinical work experience. Medical schools are looking for applicants who have an understanding of the UK health service either by undertaking clinical work experience or by talking to UK doctors. However, if you have elected to arrange clinical work experience abroad this should be justified in your personal statement."

Based especially on this, I'd say don't waste the time and money going through Gap Medics if you're doing it for your personal statement. Organizing your own UK placements would most likely be way more useful in terms of your application.
Reply 2
Hey :-) As already said by StationtoStation, there is nothing really to gain by doing a programme like Gap Medics in terms of your uni application. However, if you have the time and money to spare then you've also got nothing to lose and it might be quite fun!

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending