Handwritingman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey all
Just wondering how important predicted grades are for A level now .
I've just been predicted 2 A* and 2 A's and I'm not sure if that's gonna put me at a disadvantage compared to those who've been predicted 3 a*.
I'm applying for history btw
Ruhail25
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep, you're doomed for failure
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
2 A*s and 2 As at A level> 3 A*s at A level
assuming all are subjects with similar difficulty e,g four are bio chem phys maths, 3 are phys maths further maths
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Handwritingman)
Hey all
I've just been predicted 2 A* and 2 A's and I'm not sure if that's gonna put me at a disadvantage compared to those who've been predicted 3 a*.
We don't think that you should worry about this given that the entry requirement is AAA for History.
williamdolke
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With universities not having AS grades available in future predicted grades will become more important than before as an indicator of potential performance. However, as long as you meet the predicted grades for the course it will not be a problem and interviewer will be able to gauge whether your predicted grades are realistic since they are aware they are just a prediction and are likely to be incorrect.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Those are fine. Your performance on the HAT will be a key factor.
Handwritingman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
We don't think that you should worry about this given that the entry requirement is AAA for History.
So an extra a* would have little or no weight in the final decision for acceptance?
williamdolke
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you perform well in aspects aside from predicted grades and they want to give you an offer, having one less a* will not be a problem.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So an extra a* would have little or no weight in the final decision for acceptance?
In our view, the selectors will reach a final decision that places more weight on achieved results (typically GCSE prior attainment, the HAT score, the evaluation of written work, and interview scores). The primary purpose of predicted grades is to provide some assurance that, should an offer be made, the required grades will be achieved. In practice, predicted A-level grades are correlated with other aspects of the application. At the end of the day they are also simply predictions and the discontinuation of AS exams is likely to lessen their accuracy. It is also the case that willingness to predict A* in some subjects varies among schools.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (813)
42.34%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.69%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads