The Student Room Group

Black History

This could be classify and can't be classify as a question. But could you folks please refer back to when you where younger than you are now and write down your first thought about black history in general not the month just the topic BLACK HISTORY. reply as soon as possible between now and Friday.
Spears beat rifles
My first thought would instantly be Slavery, Rosa Parks on a bus refusing to give up her seat to a white person, MLK standing up for equal rights and his assassination, Nelson Mandela being imprisoned and then finally released & becoming President of South Africa.

When I was younger, all I knew was about MLK and Nelson Mandela
Original post by korie
This could be classify and can't be classify as a question. But could you folks please refer back to when you where younger than you are now and write down your first thought about black history in general not the month just the topic BLACK HISTORY. reply as soon as possible between now and Friday.
(edited 6 years ago)
MLK from when I was a child.

But more recently would be the Hellfighters in WW1... Thanks BF1

Posted from TSR Mobile
-Slavery
-Jim crow
-MLK
Reply 5
Original post by squirrology
My first thought would instantly be Slavery, Rosa Parks on a bus refusing to give up her seat to a white person, MLK standing up for equal rights and his assassination, Nelson Mandela being imprisoned and then finally released & becoming President of South Africa.

and why did you think of slavery first?
Reply 6
Original post by Meany Pie
MLK from when I was a child.

But more recently would be the Hellfighters in WW1... Thanks BF1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thanks
Reply 7
Original post by loveleest
-Slavery
-Jim crow
-MLK

could you please give me your reasons for this thoughts.
Reply 8
Original post by crosssafley
Spears beat rifles

this isn't relevant to my question.
Original post by korie
could you please give me your reasons for this thoughts.

Because that was he only think we learnt about regarding to black history and it's the few things that popped into my mind.
Original post by korie
and why did you think of slavery first?

Because it is a brutal and saddening part of our history. The fact people had to endure something like that for the majority of their lives is just... awful.

I'm no historian but I think Slavery is one of the most traumatic events which occured in black history hence why it's my first thought.
WE WUZ

Mandela was a black nationalist and South Africa will be like every other country in Africa within 20 years when all the white people leave:

Screwed.

Africans are so bad at running countries that they can't even maintain their electrical power stations after whitey left

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-31126033/south-africa-faces-power-crisis-and-blackouts
I think of:
MLK,Malcom X, Black Panthers, Rosa Parks, Mary Seacole, Apartheid South Africa, various rebellions and Civil Wars following decolonaisation, ancient Egypt and Egyptian history, and Mansa Musa who was the richest man in History :smile:.

I think of these because I have learnt parts of the above and extra research.

I'm no historian but I think Slavery is one of the most traumatic events which occurred in black history hence why it's my first thought.

It's the same with the Jewish people, first we all heard about them was to do with the Holocaust.
Original post by zhog
It's the same with the Jewish people, first we all heard about them was to do with the Holocaust.

Pretty sure the first most people heard was the Old Testament.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest