OCR FP2 (non-MEI) June 2017 wierd question Watch

Jiish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
On the FP2 paper on Monday did anyone else think the question that asked you to solve the equation with w using the substitution w=sinh(x) had a mistake? It said "find the root in the form aln(b+sqrt(c))". I found the root in this form but in terms of x, which made it impossible to find it in that form in terms of w.
GoosetheDog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jiish)
On the FP2 paper on Monday did anyone else think the question that asked you to solve the equation with w using the substitution w=sinh(x) had a mistake? It said "find the root in the form aln(b+sqrt(c))". I found the root in this form but in terms of x, which made it impossible to find it in that form in terms of w.
Entirely agree, must have been an error cause when you subbed the value back into the sinhx equation you got rid of the lns, don't know why no fuss has been made about this, does OCR know?
Jiish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by GoosetheDog)
Entirely agree, must have been an error cause when you subbed the value back into the sinhx equation you got rid of the lns, don't know why no fuss has been made about this, does OCR know?
I'm not sure if they do, but they should notice when marking it. I guess they would have to adjust the mark scheme or just remove the question.
GoosetheDog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jiish)
I'm not sure if they do, but they should notice when marking it. I guess they would have to adjust the mark scheme or just remove the question.
Can't they just lower the grade boundaries and keep the question because the answer I presume they wanted I got but it "wasted time" thinking about it
😂
TheJonesy138
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In my opinion for something as minor as this they won't scrap the question, they will most likely adjust the grade boundary by perhaps 1 or 2 marks but nothing too major.

It is unfortunate because people will have sunk time into it. It seems that OCR has not had a great year this year in regard to their papers
SWISH99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheJonesy138)
In my opinion for something as minor as this they won't scrap the question, they will most likely adjust the grade boundary by perhaps 1 or 2 marks but nothing too major.

It is unfortunate because people will have sunk time into it. It seems that OCR has not had a great year this year in regard to their papers
What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
TheJonesy138
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SWISH99)
What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
I'm not too sure, I found it about the same as most FP2 papers but the polar question was a bit annoying simply due to the wording. I'd say maybe 56 for an A then 64 for 90 UMS.

Honestly, I'm not too sure, my guess is as good as anyone else's.
baznoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  IMG_3904.PNG
Views: 135
Size:  64.4 KB

hey, I emailed ocr about this and this was their response.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.06%
Not great so far... (281)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.31%

Watched Threads