The Student Room Group

How long does it take to lose about 7kg?

Fastest way possible?

Scroll to see replies

probably 2 months is a good period
Original post by butfirst_coffee
probably 2 months is a good period

How....
Water fasting... opinions?
just lower your calorie intake and exercise more than you do at the moment
Original post by angelike1
Water fasting... opinions?

That's a bad idea.

A good amount to lose (sustainably) is about 0.5kg a week. So, 7kg should take around 14 weeks (though you would expect weight loss to be more rapid initially, before slowing).

To lose 0.5kg a week, you should aim for a 500 calorie deficit per day to be in a deficit of 3500 calories over the 7 days. A good idea would be to track what you're eating each day in an average week to maintain your weight, and then just subtract 500 from that. This would be the amount that you should then aim for. To achieve the deficit you should focus both on reducing the number of calories you eat, and increasing the amount of calories you burn. Aim for more filling foods, more fruit and vegetables and balanced meals, and just generally be more conscious about your food choices. Walk more and choose to take the stairs where possible.
Reply 6
I'm afraid a lot of it will depend on your genetics, some people can just look at a treadmill and lose weight, others will have to work harder. For me personally, It took around 3 months, but I made sure that I lost weight as slow as possible in order to maintain muscle mass. If you're not worried about losing a little muscle then it would probably be quicker for you. Drop calories, do some cardio, and make sure not to starve yourself.
I should add that losing weight quickly is a stupid idea. You will likely end up overeating/binging if you try to restrict your diet too much, you will definitely gain it all back (plus more, when you ruin your metabolism) and it's one of the most unhealthy things for your body and mind.
Depends on starting weight, but i reckon 1-2kgs a week is reasonable.

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and low-carb diet seems to be one way to go. Check out "Mark's Daily Apple", he knows what he's taking about.
Reply 9
Original post by ParentalAdvisory

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and low-carb diet seems to be one way to go. Check out "Mark's Daily Apple", he knows what he's taking about.

1-2kgs per week is a ridiculous amount. It will involve going into a starvation period. 1lb a week is more plausible and safe.
Fastest way possible?

Lop off your head and find out.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TOM 99
1-2kgs per week is a ridiculous amount. It will involve going into a starvation period. 1lb a week is more plausible and safe.

Not ridiculous, I've done exactly that. Started off losing 2kgs a week for the first month or so, then to 1.5 then levelled off to 1kg after that.

I've not regained the weight, but then again i was a lump to start off with.
Fastest way possible?

The recommended is about 2 pounds a week so roughly 2 months, this ensures you dont relapse to gaining weight after the first 2 weeks when you loose alot of water weight.. however, it can be done much earlier then this but at the risk of gallstones etc especially if you are overweight/obese.. goodluck!
Reply 13
Not ridiculous, I've done exactly that. Started off losing 2kgs a week for the first month or so, then to 1.5 then levelled off to 1kg after that.

I've not regained the weight, but then again i was a lump to start off with.

I stand corrected. For people who were significantly overweight (no offence), losing weight tends to happen quicker. But for people who are just slightly overweight, or perhaps just want to tone up a bit, then weight loss will be a slower process. Someone who weighs 120 kg is going to lose weight faster than someone who weighs, say, 80kg.
Original post by uberteknik
Lop off your head and find out.

Spoiler

dick stuck in blender

thanks a lot genius

Original post by facelark123
That's a bad idea.

A good amount to lose (sustainably) is about 0.5kg a week. So, 7kg should take around 14 weeks (though you would expect weight loss to be more rapid initially, before slowing).

To lose 0.5kg a week, you should aim for a 500 calorie deficit per day to be in a deficit of 3500 calories over the 7 days. A good idea would be to track what you're eating each day in an average week to maintain your weight, and then just subtract 500 from that. This would be the amount that you should then aim for. To achieve the deficit you should focus both on reducing the number of calories you eat, and increasing the amount of calories you burn. Aim for more filling foods, more fruit and vegetables and balanced meals, and just generally be more conscious about your food choices. Walk more and choose to take the stairs where possible.

Great advice dude!

Original post by facelark123
I should add that losing weight quickly is a stupid idea. You will likely end up overeating/binging if you try to restrict your diet too much, you will definitely gain it all back (plus more, when you ruin your metabolism) and it's one of the most unhealthy things for your body and mind.

will aim for 3 months :yy:

Are low-carb diets scientifically proven to be healthy though? @facelark123
I lost five or so kg when I lived away from family for seven weeks or so. What happened when I came home? They made me put that weight back on :angry:
Fastest way possible?

Long term, and without regaining it quickly? About 3 months (i.e. 14 weeks @ 0.5kg (= -3850kCal.week (= -550kCal.day)))

Short term, with most of it coming from water, muscle and glycogen - 3-4 weeks with starvation. Expect to regain 8-9kg in about 2 months after doing this.

I know which I'd choose.
(edited 6 years ago)
turn vegan for a lil bit + exercise more regularly
I lost 10kg in 4ish months
Original post by TOM 99
I stand corrected. For people who were significantly overweight (no offence), losing weight tends to happen quicker. But for people who are just slightly overweight, or perhaps just want to tone up a bit, then weight loss will be a slower process. Someone who weighs 120 kg is going to lose weight faster than someone who weighs, say, 80kg.

I'm healthy weight :/
7 kg is about 15 lbs, each lb of fat is 3500 calories, so you can do the math

Quick Reply