Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Find the maximum value of y.x^2 - x.y^2 when x and y are between 0 and 1 inclusive

ReputationRep:
    factorising i get:

xy(x-y)

x=1 (for max solution)

therefore:

y(1-y)

now for this to have a max value we differentiate

y - y^2

1 - 2y

max occurs when this equals 0, so;

1 - 2y = 0
    1 = 2y
    y = 1/2

now 2nd differential gives -2, therefore the value calculated is max.

x = 1, y = 1/2

and max answer is 1/4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralNeo)
    factorising i get:

xy(x-y)

x=1 (for max solution) ....
    I can't get that, why for max solution we have x = 1? Can u explain?

I did like that:
    Let y = kx, so k is in R+.
    so we have yx^2 - xy^2 = kx^3 - k^2x^3
    = x^3(k - k^2).
    So it is max if (x^3) max and (k - k^2) max
    then have x = 1, k = 1/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCHL85)
    I can't get that, why for max solution we have x = 1? Can u explain?

I did like that:
    Let y = kx, so k is in R+.
    so we have yx^2 - xy^2 = kx^3 - k^2x^3
    = x^3(k - k^2).
    So it is max if (x^3) max and (k - k^2) max
    then have x = 1, k = 1/2.
    It's fairly logical, say y is fixed, x-y is maximised when x is greatest, likewise with xy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beauford)
    It's fairly logical, say y is fixed, x-y is maximised when x is greatest, likewise with xy...
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    ok, someone please tell me which P unit this is- just to reassure myself i wasnt meant to know that!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    ok, someone please tell me which P unit this is- just to reassure myself i wasnt meant to know that!! lol
    its not in any P-unit...it wil probably come on a BMo paper 9unlikely coz its too simple) or on a maths challenge...so for Pure knowledge ur not supposed to know this...i would have thought :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    that was a warmup

maximise:

yx^2 + zy^2 + xz^2 - zx^2 - xy^2 - yz^2

if x, y and z are all between 0 and 1 inclusive

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure the answer is 1/4, (x,y,z) = (0, 1, 1/2) which is quite interesting, i cant prove it tho - just wrote a little program instead.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I get two answers,
    f(x,y,z) = ¼, (x,y,z) = (0,1,0.5)
    f(x,y,z) = ¼, (x,y,z) = (0.5,0,1)

But I got those results using 3-D graphs

ReputationRep:
    To prove the above result mathematically you have to take partial derivatives of the function f(x,y,z) with respect to x, y and z seperately, and taking them equal to 0 solve the simultaneous equations, with the boundaries that they must lie between 0 and 1, and you will obtain 1/4 as the maximum value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    To prove the above result mathematically you have to take partial derivatives of the function f(x,y,z) with respect to x, y and z seperately, and taking them equal to 0 solve the simultaneous equations, with the boundaries that they must lie between 0 and 1, and you will obtain 1/4 as the maximum value.
    Can you quickly do it, cos thats what i tried, but I think i messed up somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    that was a warmup

maximise:

yx^2 + zy^2 + xz^2 - zx^2 - xy^2 - yz^2

if x, y and z are all between 0 and 1 inclusive
    Although the factorisation isn't obvious, if you have a good enough look (i tried for about 10-15 minutes) it factorises to (x-y)(z-x)(z-y). Using a similar argument as in the first part, set z = 1, to get (x-y)(1-x)(1-y), now set y = 0, to maximise 1-y and x-y, and so you get (x)(1-x) <= 1/4. You could argue that you could also set z = 0 to make the - signs cancel to give xy(x-y), which is the same as in q.1 so is <= 1/4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    You would take partial derivatives for functions of more than one variable to find the turning points, or local maxima and minima.
    This function has a limited domain. In this domain the function has no turning points, but has a maximum and a minimum value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beauford)
    Although the factorisation isn't obvious, if you have a good enough look (i tried for about 10-15 minutes) it factorises to (x-y)(z-x)(z-y). Using a similar argument as in the first part, set z = 1, to get (x-y)(1-x)(1-y), now set y = 0, to maximise 1-y and x-y, and so you get (x)(1-x) <= 1/4. You could argue that you could also set z = 0 to make the - signs cancel to give xy(x-y), which is the same as in q.1 so is <= 1/4.
    I got that factorisation also, but that was as far as I could go. I knew that z=1 gave a max value, but I just couldn't justify why I should set z=1!
    Also z=0.5 is another value giving a max for the function (value=¼), which put me further off trying to justify why I should set z=1!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermat)
    I got that factorisation also, but that was as far as I could go. I knew that z=1 gave a max value, but I just couldn't justify why I should set z=1!
    Also z=0.5 is another value giving a max for the function (value=¼), which put me further off trying to justify why I should set z=1!!
    Of course given the factorisation as it stands (x-y)(z-x)(z-y) then maximisation clearly occurs when you set z = 1 or 0, as you are increasing the value of the product (z-x)(z-y), clearly (1-x)(1-y) > (0.8-x)(0.8-y) or (0-x)(0-y) > (0.8-x)(0.8-y). The reason you get a max when z = 1/2, is because the factorisation is identical to (y-x)(z-x)(y-z), in this case we set y = 1 or 0 and x = 0, z = 1/2

ReputationRep:
    OK, gottit now
    I could see that the double product would be at a maximum, but somehow or other I thought that wasn't enouogh to justify the triple product being a maximum!

Ta.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.