The Student Room Group

I was accepted for KFC but I'm 15 and I have to be 16. What do I do?

I live in the UK and I've been recently trying to look for a job this summer and came across KFC.

I love KFC anyways so much so I applied and to my surprise I got accepted for an interview!

It has been really stressing me out recently because I applied for a part time position, went to the job interview, had so much fun and got accepted yesterday - but I've been reading so many things saying that I have to be over 16. I am very well eligible to work in the UK. I'm not 15 years old and 9 months yet so I can't get a NIC and it really worries me. I'm going to start my shift in a few days. What do I do?

PS. Please reply asap! It's really stressful.
Reply 1
Go in there and work anyway. And each paycheck you get, give it to me.
So what was your plan if you get this far ?
At your first day they'll ask for proof of ID, your national insurance number (you can't work without it) and your bank details...

Don't they ask for national insurance on the job form?
Original post by johnadsa
I live in the UK and I've been recently trying to look for a job this summer and came across KFC.

I love KFC anyways so much so I applied and to my surprise I got accepted for an interview!

It has been really stressing me out recently because I applied for a part time position, went to the job interview, had so much fun and got accepted yesterday - but I've been reading so many things saying that I have to be over 16. I am very well eligible to work in the UK. I'm not 15 years old and 9 months yet so I can't get a NIC and it really worries me. I'm going to start my shift in a few days. What do I do?

Did they ever ask your age? Did you ever tell them you were 16 i.e lied?

You can still work at 15m but it may be against their policy.

It depends whether its term time or not.

[*]Only light work;

[*]Not before 7am or after 7pm;

[*]Not during school hours on any day the child is required to attend school; and

[*]Not for more than two hours on any school day, or 12 hours in any school week.

In the holidays

At 15 a child may work for up to eight hours on a weekday when he or she is not at school, or on a Saturday. They may also work for up to 35 hours in a non-school week.
PS i bet when you filled the form out you didnt say 15. You have to be honest and let them know. Point out the fact the law allows you to work the above hours, but otherwise if they dont want to employ until you are 16 then ask to be taken on in 3 months time. Just say your enthusiasm got the better of you, but you thought it right to tell them.
Original post by 999tigger
Did they ever ask your age? Did you ever tell them you were 16 i.e lied?

You can still work at 15m but it may be against their policy.

It depends whether its term time or not.

[*]Only light work;

[*]Not before 7am or after 7pm;

[*]Not during school hours on any day the child is required to attend school; and

[*]Not for more than two hours on any school day, or 12 hours in any school week.

In the holidays

At 15 a child may work for up to eight hours on a weekday when he or she is not at school, or on a Saturday. They may also work for up to 35 hours in a non-school week.

I agree
Original post by johnadsa

The best thing to do is get in contact with them and discuss all this, in my opinion. They might have shifts your are still able to do, and it will save a lot of hassle compared to you trying to go into work without informing them, and them realising you're only 15!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending