The Student Room Group

History A-Level course work ideas on America from 1690 - 1890

Hey everyone, so I have my coursework idea deadline coming up very soon and I have no idea what to do. I want to do a question based around the American revolution or civil war. The question needs to revolve around an 80-100 year period. The question could involve things about individuals possibly but I really need help so if anyone has any idea that would be great! Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by A.J.HIGGINS019
Hey everyone, so I have my coursework idea deadline coming up very soon and I have no idea what to do. I want to do a question based around the American revolution or civil war. The question needs to revolve around an 80-100 year period. The question could involve things about individuals possibly but I really need help so if anyone has any idea that would be great! Thank you.

The basis of A-level history coursework is a debate and so your topic needs to be as controversial as possible. It also should have a wide range of resources available for you to use, and they need to be accessible too :smile:

I'm not well versed on US history but generally your best bet is to get a topic of interest and read into it. As you read, you familiarise yourself with the debates and the more you can frame a question. I didn't actually come up with a question until I finished writing my essay (I did witchcraft) but I had some general themes:

- 16th-17th cent.
- England and European witchcraft
- pressures from above v. pressures from below

From that, I was able to focus on specific books and schools of thought as I wrote the essay and I could mould my question around the essay :smile: I got 38/40 so if you want any general help just PM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending