The Student Room Group

LSE vs Econ Finance

I really want to study a mixture with Econ with/and Finance but LSE doesn't offer a course like this. I wanted to go to LSE as I liked their presentation I went too, the location and uni looks good and they obviously are a big target uni for IB.

I have done A-level Econ and found it very fun however at degree level it doesn't look as interesting where as with Finance I have never studied it before but looking at the modules at degree level it looks really interesting and more fun. This is why I want to try incorporate some finance into my degree but I want to keep econ as I am being told that econ is more respected than a finance degree.

I'm really unsure on whether to just go out of my comfort zone and take the risk of doing a pure finance degree or stick with econ and try do a econ with finance at another uni.

Any help appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
An LSE degree is respected no matter what you study, I wouldn't worry about the 'risk' of picking one subject over another. Arguably you're taking a greater risk by applying for something you don't enjoy.

And note that if you take LSE's BSc finance, you will still have to do all the compulsory econ modules, i.e. macro/micro, econometrics, stats etc, so it's already a good mix between econ/finance anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's worth looking at the actual course guides to see how the courses compare. In general as above, the various finance/economics/maths and stats oriented courses at LSE have the same first year courses and a good degree of overlap in second year. You can also usually take external options including in Economics, of 1 per year (that aren't already required; the same also applies in reverse with finance on an econ course, although some of the finance modules are restricted to finance degree students).
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
I really want to study a mixture with Econ with/and Finance but LSE doesn't offer a course like this. I wanted to go to LSE as I liked their presentation I went too, the location and uni looks good and they obviously are a big target uni for IB.

I have done A-level Econ and found it very fun however at degree level it doesn't look as interesting where as with Finance I have never studied it before but looking at the modules at degree level it looks really interesting and more fun. This is why I want to try incorporate some finance into my degree but I want to keep econ as I am being told that econ is more respected than a finance degree.

I'm really unsure on whether to just go out of my comfort zone and take the risk of doing a pure finance degree or stick with econ and try do a econ with finance at another uni.

Any help appreciated.

Having seen your other thread, I think you should do BSc Finance at LSE. It is the best of both worlds. A top targeted university, a degree you will probably enjoy more, and you still get to do some economics.

You will not get more interviews by studying economics over finance at LSE. It is LSE, you will get interviews regardless. It comes down to you as a candidate in the application process.
Original post by Commercial Paper
Having seen your other thread, I think you should do BSc Finance at LSE. It is the best of both worlds. A top targeted university, a degree you will probably enjoy more, and you still get to do some economics.

You will not get more interviews by studying economics over finance at LSE. It is LSE, you will get interviews regardless. It comes down to you as a candidate in the application process.

Yeah I definitely think I am being swayed to a finance degree. Only con i'm really finding with LSE now is that I was looking to try do a placement year or year abroad but they don't offer it. I've not looked much into other finance degrees which I obviously need to do more into to compare and LSE is obviously very difficult to get into so I need to be realistic too.

You are very helpful by the way haha
Yeah I definitely think I am being swayed to a finance degree. Only con i'm really finding with LSE now is that I was looking to try do a placement year or year abroad but they don't offer it. I've not looked much into other finance degrees which I obviously need to do more into to compare and LSE is obviously very difficult to get into so I need to be realistic too.

You are very helpful by the way haha

I would be surprised if LSE did not let you do a placement. I know it is not part of their 'course' but you could just manually suspend your studies for a year and do a placement. It does not matter that much anyway, you can do a Spring Week Internship (First Year) > Summer Analyst Internship (Second Year) > Job Offer from LSE, no need for a placement.
Original post by Commercial Paper
I would be surprised if LSE did not let you do a placement. I know it is not part of their 'course' but you could just manually suspend your studies for a year and do a placement. It does not matter that much anyway, you can do a Spring Week Internship (First Year) > Summer Analyst Internship (Second Year) > Job Offer from LSE, no need for a placement.

Yeah I was just interested in a study abroad especially just think it would be very fun and different. I just need to a little more research into the different unis for finance now as I haven't done no where as much as I did for economics and I'm not set on going LSE, that's if I even got in.
LSE does allow you to do placements. You will have to talk to your tutor about it but usually it's pretty straightforward to organise. However note that due to visa issues you won't normally be able to suspend your studies for a year if you're an international student.
Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom
LSE does allow you to do placements. You will have to talk to your tutor about it but usually it's pretty straightforward to organise. However note that due to visa issues you won't normally be able to suspend your studies for a year if you're an international student.

I wasn't aware of this and no i'm not an international student. Do they offer a year abroad?
I wasn't aware of this and no i'm not an international student. Do they offer a year abroad?

I can't say for sure but I doubt it as that would require them to have specific relationships with other international unis and a reciprocal agreement in most cases.

Quick Reply

Latest