The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How lenient are York?

Was wondering how lenient York are with grades as I've messed up my exams. Offer was AAB, course-Biology.
Original post by Mlivermore
Was wondering how lenient York are with grades as I've messed up my exams. Offer was AAB, course-Biology.

For all Unis, then they take the people who made the offer and see if they have spare capacity. They then look at everyone else. The less you missed by the more chance you have, but they will also look at extenuating circumstances.

They do this every year so know how much wiggle room they want. If you have got the required UCAS points just not in the right subjects, then you stand a reasonable chance of getting in. One grade below its a fair chance, two grades below then the chances are slim and three below you arent getting in unless there are extenuating circumstances and even then they can decide not to and look to fill up from clearing. They will only know what they are dealing with when the results come in.
University of York
York
Original post by 999tigger
For all Unis, then they take the people who made the offer and see if they have spare capacity. They then look at everyone else. The less you missed by the more chance you have, but they will also look at extenuating circumstances.

They do this every year so know how much wiggle room they want. If you have got the required UCAS points just not in the right subjects, then you stand a reasonable chance of getting in. One grade below its a fair chance, two grades below then the chances are slim and three below you arent getting in unless there are extenuating circumstances and even then they can decide not to and look to fill up from clearing. They will only know what they are dealing with when the results come in.

You can still get in 3 grades below, my brother did, he had no extentuaing circumstances. It simply depends on the cohort and how many have actually got the grades. They would rather have people who actually want to go there than have the hassle of going though clearing
Original post by Babyoleg
You can still get in 3 grades below, my brother did, he had no extentuaing circumstances. It simply depends on the cohort and how many have actually got the grades. They would rather have people who actually want to go there than have the hassle of going though clearing

Was it for Biology?
I've got a place for York too and I've heard many stories about how York has accepted AAB and ABB (for history which is AAA), some not even having an A in history. I think if you have a strong personal statement and reference then you should be okay- as long as you don't fall too far. I spoke to an admissions officer on the post-offer visit day and he admitted that they usually have space. I also recommend looking at the university's website for clearing. They have declared whether they have vacancies for certain subjects and if they are looking for students for biology, then that would mean they could be undersubscribed- which would give you a better chance.
Original post by Mlivermore

Hey did you end up getting in? I feel like I’m exactly in the same position this year, I want to bio but feel like I’ve messed up my chemistry exams!! Like big time!
Im York bio as well, Just certain i have messed up Chem and maybe even bio because i spent so much time on chem !
Fingers crossed.... Best of luck
Original post by Charlie4charlie
Hey did you end up getting in? I feel like I’m exactly in the same position this year, I want to bio but feel like I’ve messed up my chemistry exams!! Like big time!
Reply 7
It will likely vary between departments. You can email the biology department's head of admissions to ask if they typically accept offers below AAB. I do know that at least some departments are fairly lenient with people missing offers though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending