Turning points question Watch

tasha1898
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...4083BD-SQP.PDF
Here is the link to the paper, i'm specifically referring to 1.4 however. The mark scheme says that it supports Millikan because it shows n number of electron charge... i understand that but it also says that the students smallest quantum of charge seems to be 3.2 x 10^-19. Why is this the answer? How do they know this?
Thanks for any help!
Teenage Hype
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's saying that it doesn't follow millikan's conclusion, because the lowest common multiple is 3.2 rather than 1.6, so basically it only slightly followed millikan's conclusion.

All the charges are multiples of 1.6 but the results can't prob that the lowest possible charge is 1.6
tasha1898
Rep:
?
ohhhh i see thank you!
Teenage Hype
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tasha1898)
ohhhh i see thank you!
It's a messed up question

But you just gotta be open to interpret anything AQA give you lol

I would have never thought of the 3.2 thing but yeah you can't conclude the lowest quanta of charge is 1.6 x 10^-19, so it's not fully accurate (although it pretty much is rofl)
tasha1898
Rep:
?
(Original post by Teenage Hype)
It's a messed up question

But you just gotta be open to interpret anything AQA give you lol

I would have never thought of the 3.2 thing but yeah you can't conclude the lowest quanta of charge is 1.6 x 10^-19, so it's not fully accurate (although it pretty much is rofl)
yeah it's definitely an unusual question i just need to use some logic which i can never do in exams haha
Teenage Hype
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah it's definitely an unusual question i just need to use some logic which i can never do in exams haha
Sorry for using you but how would you do this question?

A scientist conducts an experiment similar to Bertozzi’s experiment and reports that when the electron speed is 2.93 x 10^-8 m/s, the kinetic energy is 2.4 MeV. Determine whether these data are consistent with the result expected using the theory of special relativity.
tasha1898
Rep:
?
(Original post by Teenage Hype)
Sorry for using you but how would you do this question?

A scientist conducts an experiment similar to Bertozzi’s experiment and reports that when the electron speed is 2.93 x 10^-8 m/s, the kinetic energy is 2.4 MeV. Determine whether these data are consistent with the result expected using the theory of special relativity.
i literally just found out about that guy like two days ago because our teacher gave us an old spec book and this wasn't in it but i think you compare the actual kinetic energy with the predicted kinetic energy (there should be a formula on an updated formula sheet) because the predicted kinetic energy is based on the special relativity theory
Teenage Hype
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i literally just found out about that guy like two days ago because our teacher gave us an old spec book and this wasn't in it but i think you compare the actual kinetic energy with the predicted kinetic energy (there should be a formula on an updated formula sheet) because the predicted kinetic energy is based on the special relativity theory
Wtf yeah the mark scheme is ****ed lol

tahanks tasha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (38)
24.68%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (52)
33.77%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
17.53%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (12)
7.79%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (25)
16.23%

Watched Threads