The Student Room Group

Studying A-Level as a mature student

Hi everybody,

I have been a follower of this forum for a while now. However, until recently I have decided to make an account and finally post for the first time.

I have been toying with the idea of possibly re-taking an A-Level that I did years back in English Literature. Considering it has been some time and I no longer have my coursework or study notes, I am afraid I will have to start anew. This is not an issue for me, but I do wonder how I would go about this.

Does anyone have any experience with distance learning or have you attended a college as a mature student? Would it be possible to just take one A-level? Also how much would the cost normally be, including exam fees and study material?
I don't have any experiece of it personally, but usually mature students (re)taking A-levels do so via distance learning. There may be evening classes or something similar which specifically prepare for A-level exams near you but if you live outside a major metropolitan area it's much less likely, whereas distance learning is available anywhere and at the time(s) that are convenient for you to an extent.

You can take as many or few as you like. Typically distance learning providers charge anywhere from £300-700+ for tuition and study materials (the latter not always included) per A-level. You will also usually have to pay a fee to be entered to the exam at a local examination centre as an external student; you will have to contact them to find out how much that would be.

So...it's not cheap but also not prohibitively expensive. You would need to plan a little bit ahead to make sure all the bases are covered, but it's certainly possible. Some providers may offer finance options or similar where you pay over a period of time. There is also the option of the OU, and taking some modules in the area as they are of interest; most universities will consider this for prior academic study before embarking on a degree as a mature student (I can't think of any that don't), if that is your ultimate goal; similarly there may be some relevant access courses in your area. These options tend to be more expensive however, although the OU does have a variety of financing options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending