The Student Room Group

IELTS for Tier-4 Visa

Hey TSR :smile:

I'm from India and will be applying by this Oct to universities in the UK for postgraduate courses commencing in Fall 2018. My academic IELTS score is valid from Jan 2016-Jan 2018. I will know by this Dec latest if I've been accepted (while my IELTS is still valid).

If so, is my acceptance into a university (meeting their IELTS requirements) enough to apply for Tier-4 Visa when the time comes
or
should the IELTS be valid at the time of Visa application (sometime in may 2018) and or at the time of enrolment (sep 2018)?

Thanks a bunch!
Original post by berry!
Hey TSR :smile:

I'm from India and will be applying by this Oct to universities in the UK for postgraduate courses commencing in Fall 2018. My academic IELTS score is valid from Jan 2016-Jan 2018. I will know by this Dec latest if I've been accepted (while my IELTS is still valid).

If so, is my acceptance into a university (meeting their IELTS requirements) enough to apply for Tier-4 Visa when the time comes
or
should the IELTS be valid at the time of Visa application (sometime in may 2018) and or at the time of enrolment (sep 2018)?

Thanks a bunch!

Your IELTS needs to be valid for when you apply and are accepted though if it's coming to the end validity the uni may ask for a retake. The visa is issued on the basis of a satisfactory CAS which the uni will issue when/if it's happy that you meet their requirements.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. Yes, the IELTS will be valid when I apply to Uni (individually since it's postgrad, no UCAS) and will be valid when I get their decision of acceptance or not.

If accepted they (the uni) make ask me to retake for VISA purposes?

Because I thought an acceptance letter from university has to be sent in as part of the VISA application to the VISA authorities directly and that's it?

Sorry if I sound repetitive, there's been some change in the VISA rules for the UK and its relationship with the IELTS

Thanks again
Original post by berry!
Thank you for your reply. Yes, the IELTS will be valid when I apply to Uni (individually since it's postgrad, no UCAS) and will be valid when I get their decision of acceptance or not.

If accepted they (the uni) make ask me to retake for VISA purposes?

Because I thought an acceptance letter from university has to be sent in as part of the VISA application to the VISA authorities directly and that's it?

Sorry if I sound repetitive, there's been some change in the VISA rules for the UK and its relationship with the IELTS

Thanks again

That's up to the uni. Yes you need to submit your acceptance letter and the CAS which I've mentioned before. All this info is both on the uni websites and on the U.K. Border agency website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending