GigglingSquid319
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Use Newton's laws of motion and a requirement for simple harmonic motion to explain why the amplitude of oscillation of the iodine ion is about 0.08 picometers when the amplitude of oscillation of the hydrogen ion is about 10 picometers.

(Background: There's a mechanical model of a molecule consisting of two unequal masses connected by a spring of force constant 292Nm^-1, the ions oscillate in SHM when disturbed.)

I've got that Newton's 2nd Law is F=ma and that Newton's 3rd law gives that F (Hydrogen) and F (Iodine) are equal... And that Simple Harmonic Motion requires acceleration to be directly proportional to -displacement... But I dont understand how they link in this question?
MantisToboggan
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GigglingSquid319)
Use Newton's laws of motion and a requirement for simple harmonic motion to explain why the amplitude of oscillation of the iodine ion is about 0.08 picometers when the amplitude of oscillation of the hydrogen ion is about 10 picometers.

(Background: There's a mechanical model of a molecule consisting of two unequal masses connected by a spring of force constant 292Nm^-1, the ions oscillate in SHM when disturbed.)

I've got that Newton's 2nd Law is F=ma and that Newton's 3rd law gives that F (Hydrogen) and F (Iodine) are equal... And that Simple Harmonic Motion requires acceleration to be directly proportional to -displacement... But I dont understand how they link in this question?
I don't know exactly what the mark scheme says but I assume that since the iodine atom has a higher mass, for the same force, it's max acceleration will be lower. This means that since displacement is proportional to acceleration, the max displacement will also be lower as a result.
MantisToboggan
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MantisToboggan)
I don't know exactly what the mark scheme says but I assume that since the iodine atom has a higher mass, for the same force, it's max acceleration will be lower. This means that since displacement is proportional to acceleration, the max displacement will also be lower as a result.
This links to newtons 2nd law simplified to f=ma
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I assume we can assume they act as if they are springs?

So T= 2 * pi * (sqrt)[m/k]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GigglingSquid319)

Added to what MantisToboggan has explained, we can model the force between hydrogen and iodine ions as a simple spring force – kx where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the ion.

So we can write Newton’s second law as:

kx = ma
so we can say acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement.

\dfrac{x_I}{x_H} = \dfrac{a_I}{a_H}

From F = mIaI and F = mHaH, we would get

\dfrac{x_I}{x_H} = \dfrac{a_I}{a_H} = \dfrac{m_H}{m_I}

Hope it helps.
GigglingSquid319
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you guys for your explanations!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.85%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
28.02%
No (54)
26.09%
I'm not sure (27)
13.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise