The Student Room Group

Cheaper to go Newcastle to London via SPAIN

In a news story which exemplifies the stupid amount we have to pay for travel here in the UK in some places, Joe Furness discovered that it would be cheaper to travel to London from Newcastle, via Spain...
To travel directly from Newcastle to london on a train, National Rail was throwing up a £78.50 price tag, even after using his 18-25 railcard! But Joe was a lil bit smart about it...

"...I once flew from Newcastle to Manchester via Switzerland, because it was like £20 cheaper... So I thought I'd have a look to see what the flights from Newcastle, to anywhere in the world, and back to London Gatwick"

:clap2:

So that's exactly what he did. Furness found that Newcastle to Menorca and then on to London Gatwick came to only £26.

Joe's instagram posts sums up his expenses for the trip:

"Newcastle - London Train £78.50
Newcastle - Menorca🇪🇸 £15.99
Menorca - London 🇬🇧 £10.99
Car hire £7.50
Sex on the beach cocktail 🍸£4"

What do you think of this story? have you got any travel nightmares? or any inventive ways of saving money when travelling? Let me know!
Original post by summer1311
In a news story which exemplifies the stupid amount we have to pay for travel here in the UK in some places, Joe Furness discovered that it would be cheaper to travel to London from Newcastle, via Spain...
To travel directly from Newcastle to london on a train, National Rail was throwing up a £78.50 price tag, even after using his 18-25 railcard! But Joe was a lil bit smart about it...

"...I once flew from Newcastle to Manchester via Switzerland, because it was like £20 cheaper... So I thought I'd have a look to see what the flights from Newcastle, to anywhere in the world, and back to London Gatwick"

So that's exactly what he did. Furness found that Newcastle to Menorca and then on to London Gatwick came to only £26.

Car hire £7.50

What do you think of this story? have you got any travel nightmares? or any inventive ways of saving money when travelling? Let me know!

Newcastle fans are legends, almost as much as Plymouth fans...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/35424393

Sheffield to Essex via Berlin to save £8... with these I fear people do not value their time enough.
Original post by summer1311

Car hire £7.50

I heard a story of this student from Sheffield Uni and he flew back home to Essex via Berlin... and it was cheaper.
Yes, I was going to mention the time thing.

I know that sometimes, depending on how in far I book, it can be cheaper to go from Plymouth to Glasgow by train. But I value my time. (and comfort)

It also depends how far in advance you book.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
If he had to hire a car at the airport, why didn't he just drive down from Newcastle instead? :beard:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending