The Student Room Group

Am I "Disabled Enough"? And Getting An Adult Diagnosis...

So I've applied for an Access Course and went to talk to the learning support lady who was extremely helpful, so I guess I am kind of answering my own question, but hey ho.

I was referred to an Educational Psychologist at 6 with suspected Aspergers Syndrome and Dyspraxia. The EP concluded that whilst I showed many symptoms of both conditions and I was having difficulties with movement, coordination, adjusting socially etc., because I was very academic and chatty, I wasn't referred for a diagnosis as they felt it wasn't necessary.

All throughout school since, I have had difficulties with communication, concentrating and coordinating myself. I lost friends and had no idea what I had done to lose them and didn't understand what I was being told off over a lot of the time. I was self-harming at 14 and having severe anxiety attacks and had to go to see a counselor. My grades, once some of the highest in my year, plummeted and I came out with B's and C's rather than A*s.

As an adult I've done a lot of research on autism in females and I believe that I am on the spectrum, somewhere, and I feel now at 24 I want to acknowledge it. What are colleges like for support? How can I refer myself for a diagnosis? I've seen my GP but I got brushed off and he refused to refer me, so I feel like I'm being an attention seeker. Any advice appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EveeyBean
So I've applied for an Access Course and went to talk to the learning support lady who was extremely helpful, so I guess I am kind of answering my own question, but hey ho.

I was referred to an Educational Psychologist at 6 with suspected Aspergers Syndrome and Dyspraxia. The EP concluded that whilst I showed many symptoms of both conditions and I was having difficulties with movement, coordination, adjusting socially etc., because I was very academic and chatty, I wasn't referred for a diagnosis as they felt it wasn't necessary.

All throughout school since, I have had difficulties with communication, concentrating and coordinating myself. I lost friends and had no idea what I had done to lose them and didn't understand what I was being told off over a lot of the time. I was self-harming at 14 and having severe anxiety attacks and had to go to see a counselor. My grades, once some of the highest in my year, plummeted and I came out with B's and C's rather than A*s.

As an adult I've done a lot of research on autism in females and I believe that I am on the spectrum, somewhere, and I feel now at 24 I want to acknowledge it. What are colleges like for support? How can I refer myself for a diagnosis? I've seen my GP but I got brushed off and he refused to refer me, so I feel like I'm being an attention seeker. Any advice appreciated!

The support from colleges varies. My local college for example, don't believe I have it (a decision made within 15 minutes) and then claimed there's no law stating they have to support me.

Some GPs won't refer adults for diagnosis and I'm sure I was told that some NHS trusts won't diagnose adults. there's nothing to stop you from asking for a second opinion from another GP though.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
The support from colleges varies. My local college for example, don't believe I have it (a decision made within 15 minutes) and then claimed there's no law stating they have to support me.

Some GPs won't refer adults for diagnosis and I'm sure I was told that some NHS trusts won't diagnose adults. there's nothing to stop you from asking for a second opinion from another GP though.

That's so bad. You'd think colleges would make the most to support students, as after all, they rely on those results.

I have thought about going to another GP, it was about a year ago since I asked but to be honest, I've been considering going private anyway. Not that I have £700 lying around....:h:
Hey, and welcome to the forum!

I had a late formal diagnosis too following suspicions as a child. They thought I'd learn how to cope. I didn't. :tongue: I had no problems getting referred for diagnosis by my GP at the age of 23, but apparently this might vary by county depending on their resources. I know other women who've had the same issues with formal diagnosis. As far as I'm aware you can only be referred by your GP on the NHS; if you have the money you could go private, but that will cost at least a couple of hundred.

My college has been very helpful, but again they're very disability positive especially with ASCs. There's additional support for study skills/organisational skills, and we even have our own quiet room for when it gets too much!
(edited 6 years ago)
That's so bad. You'd think colleges would make the most to support students, as after all, they rely on those results.

I have thought about going to another GP, it was about a year ago since I asked but to be honest, I've been considering going private anyway. Not that I have £700 lying around....:h:

I'd recommend getting in touch with the National Autistic Society. Their website includes a forum which I am sure will help. They also have some advice on approaching GPs for an adult diagnosis. Good luck.
Original post by OxFossil
I'd recommend getting in touch with the National Autistic Society. Their website includes a forum which I am sure will help. They also have some advice on approaching GPs for an adult diagnosis. Good luck.

NAS have been awful for me. They seem to be aimed more at parents with Autistic children, rather than Autistic adults.
Reply 6

The thing with AS is that it manifests differently in females, and it's not as well-documented as it is in males, so we've got a chicken-and-egg problem going on: they don't readily diagnose women because they hadn't diagnosed enough women to gather the necessary data.

If your doctor's brushing you off, I'd strongly suggest writing a letter to your practice, saying this, and also requesting to see another doctor. If they don't cooperate, go to a different practice.

Another thing that you have to be careful of is that they'll try and pass you off as just having depression/anxiety. When I went to get tested for AS I had to go through a whole load of palava to prove that, while I have depression/anxiety, they weren't causing me struggles at that point. As it turned out, I (like many other aspeis) have depression and anxiety because of the AS; not knowing how to cope In a world in which I simply couldn't fit had hosed my brain. So don't let that hppen to you.

Someone tried this on me once - I printed off a copy of the Equality Act 2010 and gave it to them :lol:

Yes some NHS trusts don't like giving diagnoses, simply because it's not cheap. Just have to push and push :angry:

If you have to ask, then no. You're not disabled enough.

Being bad with people and clumsy doesnt entitle you to a magic pot of money. If you're a misfit, then do something that misfits do. FYI I'm going to do computer science and I'm probably "autistic" too.
Original post by oldboy2007

Being bad with people and clumsy doesnt entitle you to a magic pot of money. If you're a misfit, then do something that misfits do. FYI I'm going to do computer science and I'm probably "autistic" too.

Bit harsh. Both conditions affect people completely differently.
NAS have been awful for me. They seem to be aimed more at parents with Autistic children, rather than Autistic adults.

Sorry to hear that. The whole situation for ASD support is dire - even after small children are diagnosed, lots of CAMHS say, "We can't give you any support, try the NAS". Have you found anywhere that's any good, @Tiger Rag ?
Original post by oldboy2007

This comment is unnecessary. Chip on your shoulder? They're not asking for money, they're asking for support.
Original post by OxFossil
Sorry to hear that. The whole situation for ASD support is dire - even after small children are diagnosed, lots of CAMHS say, "We can't give you any support, try the NAS". Have you found anywhere that's any good, @Tiger Rag ?

Sadly no.

What support did you actually go to them for? I'm really involved in various communities (facebook and tumblr) which function as a support system but never entirely sure what help a big org could give. They're more about awareness/funding for research etc aren't they?
Original post by AmeliaLost
What support did you actually go to them for? I'm really involved in various communities (facebook and tumblr) which function as a support system but never entirely sure what help a big org could give. They're more about awareness/funding for research etc aren't they?

Mostly because of the lack of help from college and social services. (both of whom believe I can't possibly have Autism and I just need counselling)
Reply 14
I'm currently 19 and was in fact diagnosed with ASD just yesterday! Much of my school life was similar to what you described yours as and honestly, getting a diagnosis as an adult was much easier for me than the jerking around CAMHS gave me as a young person.

I would suggest (as with others on here) to get in touch with your practice and asking to be seen by another doctor, maybe a woman this time?

Be aware though that depending where you are in the country there may be a long wait for a referral to the adults mental health services. I live in the north west, began the process last March, got my first letter from the service in October, and had my first appointment yesterday. It was a long time so it would be worth getting the ball rolling as soon as possible so that you can get any help that much quicker.
Mostly because of the lack of help from college and social services. (both of whom believe I can't possibly have Autism and I just need counselling)

Ah, gotcha.
You shouldn't need a diagnosis to actually get any help. You should just evidence to state that you have a disability which causes xyz and you need support with abc. (or need certain exam arrangements) But they might be more strict with uni / DSA stuff.
You shouldn't need a diagnosis to actually get any help. You should just evidence to state that you have a disability which causes xyz and you need support with abc. (or need certain exam arrangements) But they might be more strict with uni / DSA stuff.

I was asked to show my diagnosis papers for exam support arrangements at GCSE level. Additional tutorial support was just given on request though, I didn't need evidence for that.

Ed: Oh, wait, you did say evidence. What other evidence would you have other than your diagnosis report?
I was asked to show my diagnosis papers for exam support arrangements at GCSE level. Additional tutorial support was just given on request though, I didn't need evidence for that.

Ed: Oh, wait, you did say evidence. What other evidence would you have other than your diagnosis report?

I've had a letter from my GP for specific stuff. My Autism report doesn't mention any issues with exams hence the need for extra evidence.

I used to work with an adult Community Mental Health Team and sometimes contacted NAS to support families with a newly diagnosed child. People's experiences with them seemed to vary a lot, depending on whether there was a volunteer/member locally who was keen and able to help.

Quick Reply

Latest