Applying for a student credit card Watch

jtets
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I've recently opened a student account with Halifax in the hopes that I may get a student credit card in a few months time. I haven't got any credit history so I feel like this is the perfect time to build one.
I'd like to know other people's experiences with applying such as:
-how many months did you wait until you could apply for a student credit card with your bank
-has anyone applied for a credit card from companies like Aqua and Vanquis, if so how reliable are they? Are there any little tricks/small print that could be harmful apart from high interest rates?
Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jtets)
Hi guys,

I've recently opened a student account with Halifax in the hopes that I may get a student credit card in a few months time. I haven't got any credit history so I feel like this is the perfect time to build one.
-how many months did you wait until you could apply for a student credit card with your bank
-has anyone applied for a credit card from companies like Aqua and Vanquis, if so how reliable are they? Are there any little tricks/small print that could be harmful apart from high interest rates?
Thanks
You dont describe your age or who you are, status etc.

Presumably your loan money is going into your account and you will be using it responsibly. If you apply then they will look at your information including how the account is handled. Will you have a regular income?

Get yourself on the electoral register and when you get a card use it and pay it off in full at the end of the month .

Be wary though credit cards if used irresponsibly can be a disaster.

Money saving expert has all the tips.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loa...g-credit-score
http://www.savethestudent.org/money/...-students.html
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jtets)
Hi guys,

Thanks
I got my credit card with Halifax =)
-I honestly don't know with this one, i'd been with them for about five years and had a student account for two years before with them

I can help if you have any questions about the halifax card
jtets
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Jackieox)
I got my credit card with Halifax =)
-I honestly don't know with this one, i'd been with them for about five years and had a student account for two years before with them

I can help if you have any questions about the halifax card
Were you offered the credit card? Or did you apply for it yourself?

(Original post by 999tigger)
You dont describe your age or who you are, status etc. Presumably your loan money is going into your account and you will be using it responsibly. If you apply then they will look at your information including how the account is handled. Will you have a regular income? Get yourself on the electoral register and when you get a card use it and pay it off in full at the end of the month .
I don't really want to state my age but I'm a university student with a recently opened student bank account. Yes, I am expecting maintenance payments in October and I don't expect a regular income until then so I assume I can't make any applications with Halifax right now. My concern is how long could it take for Halifax to see how well I handle my account.

I only intend to use the credit card for day-to-day shopping, so it would be great if I could apply for something this summer hence why I'm mentioning Aqua and Vanquis
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jtets)
Hi guys,

Thanks
I have a card with Aqua and have been regularly using it and paying it off on time each month so I now have a balance of £2250 on it. The interest rates are a bit high for a first time credit card but you should find it easy to get accepted for one as long as you have regular income. Just remember not to withdraw cash on it because they charge 3% and pay off your balance in full each month and you should be fine.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jtets)
Hi guys,

Thanks
I applied for a student credit card with a bit of history with lloyds (i'd been with them a year and had my savings with them) then got rejected because i didnt have a part time job, my fiance got one because he worked 16 hours a week at the time.
I had an aqua card after leaving university, the rate is horrendous so i paid it back fully every month for 6 months and only then with a full time income would lloyds give me a card. If you dont work time you need to be very careful with getting credit card as most have 56 days interest free if that
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jtets)

I don't really want to state my age but I'm a university student with a recently opened student bank account. Yes, I am expecting maintenance payments in October and I don't expect a regular income until then so I assume I can't make any applications with Halifax right now. My concern is how long could it take for Halifax to see how well I handle my account.

I only intend to use the credit card for day-to-day shopping, so it would be great if I could apply for something this summer hence why I'm mentioning Aqua and Vanquis
With no credit history, then you arent going anywhere, nut ask them maybe in 6 months? They like to see a job and get yourself on the electoral resister.

Honestly I wouldnt use one for day to day shopping. @claireestelle has managed to boost her credit rating a lot along the lines of what money saving expert suggest. as have several others.

I wouldnt apply at the moment they dont know you ar all.

You could try Vanquis/Aqua, but then you also have limited history for them but they have an online checker you can use that doesnt register on your credit record .
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jtets)

I applied for it myself
username1884577
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I applied for my student bank account about a month ago, and it's now officially active as of a few days ago. I also got accepted for their student credit card at the same time. It's with HSBC and I haven't held an account with them before
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
33.09%
No (69)
50.74%
Don't know (22)
16.18%

Watched Threads