The Student Room Group

Physics, chemistry and mathematics how can I do them all?

I am fascinated by all of these three subjects and I wouldn't want to study one on it's own, Nat Sci is a good option but I can't stand biology. I'm talking about university here because I do them for a level. Any thoughts guys? 🙂
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

strong combo, do them and many doors shall open for you at university. BUT, if you aren't strong in each of them don't take them, without a doubt one of the hardest combo's possible, I take maths, chem and physics myself and the last 2 years have been very hard.
I'll be doing all three subjects in September, I can't stand biology as well 😫 I don't know about natural science but all three subject link together so you should be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Eddy253
I am fascinated by all of these three subjects and I wouldn't want to study one on it's own, Nat Sci is a good option but I can't stand biology. Any thoughts guys? 🙂

You don't
i did that (with further maths as well) there is a lot of crossover between subjects like mechanics in maths and physics and also some a2 physics and chem. as long as you really enjoy the subjects and are willing to put in the work you'll be fine :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Eddy253
I am fascinated by all of these three subjects and I wouldn't want to study one on it's own, Nat Sci is a good option but I can't stand biology. Any thoughts guys? 🙂

I take all four inc bio. I love it! I wasn't keen on bio; but now i love it! It's diverse. I love my a levels; no more english n history 👌🏽👌🏽👌🏽 Do what u enjoy; not bout uni?!
You can do Natural sciences without doing biology..
Your best bet is an engineering degree if not natsci
Reply 7
Original post by techcloud14
strong combo, do them and many doors shall open for you at university. BUT, if you aren't strong in each of them don't take them, without a doubt one of the hardest combo's possible, I take maths, chem and physics myself and the last 2 years have been very hard.

Agreeeeed!
Reply 8
Original post by lakshyajain
i did that (with further maths as well) there is a lot of crossover between subjects like mechanics in maths and physics and also some a2 physics and chem. as long as you really enjoy the subjects and are willing to put in the work you'll be fine :h:

Brilliant, thanks I'm a hard worker so hopefully it'll be good yeah. The only problem is that how can you include chemistry. Physics and maths overlap beautifully but chemistry does and doesn't .
Reply 9
Original post by techcloud14

I do all of them for a level and further maths, I've been getting decent grades and I'm sure the passion will get me through on the bits I struggle with. Having said that University level is obviously a lot harder so I've got no idea how I'll get on though. How are you including chemistry with maths and physics at university, what is the name of your course which lets you do that ? 🙂
Original post by Eddy253
Brilliant, thanks I'm a hard worker so hopefully it'll be good yeah. The only problem is that how can you include chemistry. Physics and maths overlap beautifully but chemistry does and doesn't .

a lot of a2 thermal physics and nuclear physics has calculations and concepts that are covered in as chem. also a lot a prac stuff like graphs and uncertainties are the same in both
Chemical Engineering :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by lakshyajain
a lot of a2 thermal physics and nuclear physics has calculations and concepts that are covered in as chem. also a lot a prac stuff like graphs and uncertainties are the same in both

Yes I understand but what about university ?
Original post by Eddy253
Nat Sci is a good option but I can't stand biology

That's why there's degrees called 'Physical Natural Sciences' and 'Biological Natural Sciences'. Which one do you think does not contain biology? :facepalm:
Original post by Eddy253
I am fascinated by all of these three subjects and I wouldn't want to study one on it's own, Nat Sci is a good option but I can't stand biology. I'm talking about university here because I do them for a level. Any thoughts guys? 🙂

Chemical physics
Reply 15
Original post by Eddy253

heya,

I do maths chemistry physics and further maths AS and im in first year. TBH the first year isnt that bad. Maths, well for my spec which may be different to yours, is relatively simple, although the exams this year have been utter r**e

Chem is awesome, i love it, probs gna do it at uni

Physics is the hardest in my opinion. Well for first year anyway

v v v strong combo, can get into more or less any science degree, from medicine to aeronautical eng :smile:
Original post by Eddy253
Yes I understand but what about university ?

these 4 a levels will let you do practically anything STEM related which opens up a whole load of respectable degrees
Reply 17
Original post by daas13
heya,

I do maths chemistry physics and further maths AS and im in first year. TBH the first year isnt that bad. Maths, well for my spec which may be different to yours, is relatively simple, although the exams this year have been utter r**e

Chem is awesome, i love it, probs gna do it at uni

Physics is the hardest in my opinion. Well for first year anyway

v v v strong combo, can get into more or less any science degree, from medicine to aeronautical eng :smile:

Thank you 🙂. I will have finished my a levels tomorrow ! Let's see how they go 😬. I won't be saying goodbye to any of the subjects because from what people are saying I can do maths with physics or physical natural science and chem. I agree chem is great. Cheers
Yeah I feel the same. Physical science and maths is so cool!
Reply 19
Nuclear physics maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending