What do A-level Math Reforms mean for me as a mature student?

Watch this thread
fortykeks
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

Hi,
I am looking into doing an A-level in maths starting this year independently (with the aid of a private tutor) to give a leg up in my career.

However apparently the maths A-level is being reformed since I did it in 2013 (got a D at AS didn’t pursue it further) and I can’t make 100% sense on what it means and how it will impact me and how I study.
From what I read if I want to take the A-level I will do all my exams at the end of the 2 years and can opt out of formality to take the AS exam as a measure more of my progress than a certification towards the A-level (as it won’t count whatsoever to my final grade).

What does this mean for the old M1/M2 and S1/S2 modules? Have they been scrapped and now I essentially have to do a mixture of both thrown into one exam with the traditional C1/C2 etc core modules?

My study plan was to lean C1,C2 and M1 (chosen module) do my AS then the consecutive units (C3,C4,M2) with A2 exams but AS seems pointless now but it is un-nerving to think everything will depend on one set of exams but I am confused as to whether I need to buy the S1 textbook and if my old C1,C2 and M1 books are irrelevant and obsolete and if I need to learn the whole of M1 and S1 etc.

Anyone else confused as me or have a good understanding of this change that could help me?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise