The Student Room Group

Which Type of nursing should I do?

Hi
I would like to be a health visitor or a practice nurse when I am older. I am doing a Level 3 extended diploma in Health and social care in September. I have got a placement at a primary school and I am volunteering in a care home. However I don't know whether to do children's or adult nursing. On the NHS careers website it says that I can become a practice nurse with children's nursing and health visiting with adults. However which one is best for the two professions?

Thank You 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rachael_Steve27
Hi
I would like to be a health visitor or a practice nurse when I am older. I am doing a Level 3 extended diploma in Health and social care in September. I have got a placement at a primary school and I am volunteering in a care home. However I don't know whether to do children's or adult nursing. On the NHS careers website it says that I can become a practice nurse with children's nursing and health visiting with adults. However which one is best for the two professions?

Thank You 😊

The best one is the one you enjoy the most. If you prefer working with children, then obviously, go for the one with a higher level of interaction with children, or vice-versa
Original post by Rachael_Steve27
Hi

Thank You 😊

Generally practice nurses can be adult or children's nurses as you will do a lot of asthma, diabetes, blood pressure checks etc. which is a mostly adult population.

You can also be a health visitor from either branch. There is also the option to work as a staff nurse within health visiting.

For both, you need additional qualifications before you are able to pursue these careers. You may want to consider some other career options too and which you would prefer to work in.
Maybe you should get some work experience in both sectors to see which you'd enjoy the most? :smile:
Thank you for all your replies!!

I think I might do children's nursing. One more question though. Can children nurses become general practice nurses and nurse practitioners? Because My health and social care teacher says only adult nurses can, but the NHS website says Children nurses can as well. Also a general practice nurse works mainly with adults, so can a children's nurse still apply to become one?

Thank you

PS Sorry for the late reply my phone died and my charger broke, got a new one today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending