The Student Room Group

Should i take a gap year?

I have just recently finished my A Level exams and awaiting my results. I didn't apply to uni as i didn't think i would get good enough results to go to a good enough university to make the debt and loans worth it. However upon finishing my exams i now think university will be worth it as i believe i will get better grades than i thought i would. So i was thinking of taking a gap year this year and applying to uni next year? I don't have anything currently lined up in terms of work after i receive my results so i really don't know what to do. During my gap year the only thing i could really think of is just working in some part time job like a coffee shop or something and possibly retake some exams that i feel i could do better in, but i feel like that is a bit of a waste of a year? I want to go into the business and finance industry and was thinking i could get some experience in that industry during my gap year, but i don't feel like there is any jobs that would take me as i have no degree/experience in that industry.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Work for a year and save would be my advice. Having that extra fallback will make your life so much easier if you decide to go to Uni. Scraping by on a student loan and overdraft is an art form, but not an enjoyable one.

There are loads of jobs that would take you on. Try temping agencies. It won't be anything fancy, but if you can live at home without paying rent/bills, you can save most of what you make.

Trust me, managing money is one of the most challenging and stressful aspects of being a student. Making your life easier by saving before you go will help a lot. Even if you don't use it during the year, you could go away during the summer rather than spending it working to pay off your overdraft.
Reply 2
I thought clearing is really only available for the low tier universities, which i'm opposed to going to
Reply 3
Original post by samus82
Work for a year and save would be my advice. Having that extra fallback will make your life so much easier if you decide to go to Uni. Scraping by on a student loan and overdraft is an art form, but not an enjoyable one.

There are loads of jobs that would take you on. Try temping agencies. It won't be anything fancy, but if you can live at home without paying rent/bills, you can save most of what you make.

Trust me, managing money is one of the most challenging and stressful aspects of being a student. Making your life easier by saving before you go will help a lot. Even if you don't use it during the year, you could go away during the summer rather than spending it working to pay off your overdraft.

Yeah i just feel as though it would be a bit of a waste of a year if you know what i mean? Like i'll essentially be 1 year behind everyone else
Reply 4
Original post by jackyboy17
Yeah i just feel as though it would be a bit of a waste of a year if you know what i mean? Like i'll essentially be 1 year behind everyone else

Completely get where you are coming from. When you're 18, a year feels like a really long time, but remember that lots of people take gap years. People on your course are going to vary in age, no one will care if you're 19.

If you're more worried about doing nothing meaningful for a year, can I ask what your plan was to begin with? Being that you hadn't planned to go to Uni.
Reply 5
Original post by samus82
Completely get where you are coming from. When you're 18, a year feels like a really long time, but remember that lots of people take gap years. People on your course are going to vary in age, no one will care if you're 19.

If you're more worried about doing nothing meaningful for a year, can I ask what your plan was to begin with? Being that you hadn't planned to go to Uni.

Original plan was to get an apprenticeship but haven't been able to secure one and most apprenticeship places have been taken up now
Reply 6
Original post by samus82

And the fact that most people take a gap year to go travelling or volunteer work or something that will be meaningful and stand put on a CV where as I'd just have some lacklustre work experience that won't stand out
Reply 7
And the fact that most people take a gap year to go travelling or volunteer work or something that will be meaningful and stand put on a CV where as I'd just have some lacklustre work experience that won't stand out

It won't stand out on your CV true, but employers understand that not everyone has the luxury to go travelling on a gap year. Some people just have to take a year out, save money, then go to Uni.

I honestly wouldn't sweat it. You thought you weren't going to go to Uni, but now you want to. People don't expect you to have everything figured out from day 1. You've got time to figure things out like where you want to go. Attend some open days, save some money, maybe do some travelling before you go to Uni if you save up enough.

Point is, you've got a year to do whatever you want. See it as an opportunity rather than a problem.
Reply 8
Original post by samus82
It won't stand out on your CV true, but employers understand that not everyone has the luxury to go travelling on a gap year. Some people just have to take a year out, save money, then go to Uni.

I honestly wouldn't sweat it. You thought you weren't going to go to Uni, but now you want to. People don't expect you to have everything figured out from day 1. You've got time to figure things out like where you want to go. Attend some open days, save some money, maybe do some travelling before you go to Uni if you save up enough.

Point is, you've got a year to do whatever you want. See it as an opportunity rather than a problem.

Thanks alot, i think i am going to take a gap year and possibly retake some exams that i feel i can do better in. Just gotta try to break the news to my parents now :/
Reply 9
Thanks alot, i think i am going to take a gap year and possibly retake some exams that i feel i can do better in. Just gotta try to break the news to my parents now :/

Be honest with them. Surely they'll be happy that you've decided to go to Uni? Improving your education is always a positive step. I don't know your parents though, do they not want you to go?
Reply 10
Original post by samus82
Be honest with them. Surely they'll be happy that you've decided to go to Uni? Improving your education is always a positive step. I don't know your parents though, do they not want you to go?

Yeah they'll be happy that i want to go to uni but will be unsure about taking a gap year as they'll feel like it's a year wasted
Reply 11
Yeah they'll be happy that i want to go to uni but will be unsure about taking a gap year as they'll feel like it's a year wasted

It's your life mate, not theirs. Up to you what you do with it. I'm still a little confused though, didn't your parents already know you weren't going to Uni this year? So really, you're still where you were before, except now you know what you want to do next year.

Like I mentioned, see it as an opportunity to do something good before you go to Uni. Once you graduate and get a job, life will be more challenging, so enjoy this time whilst you have it.
Reply 12
Yeah I think they're just a bit worried about the fact I haven't got anything set in stone yet

Quick Reply

Latest