Is the American syllabus same as the UK GCSE syllabus? Watch

studyyiing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm using the Khan Academy website to study GCSE Chemistry and Physics by myself and wondered whether that syllabus was very different to the UK one-would I be studying in too much detail? I am not taught very well at school-books are good, but should I just remove the topics I don't know if I need to know for higher-or should I learn it all just in case?
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by studyyiing)
I'm using the Khan Academy website to study GCSE Chemistry and Physics by myself and wondered whether that syllabus was very different to the UK one-would I be studying in too much detail? I am not taught very well at school-books are good, but should I just remove the topics I don't know if I need to know for higher-or should I learn it all just in case?
They don't do GCSEs in the USA. The GCSE videos on the website are made for UK students.

EDIT: my bad, misunderstood. I think you should just take from the Khan Academy website the things that you are supposed to be studying for your GCSE. You can find the specifications online; there's no need to study all this extra stuff
studyyiing
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
They don't do GCSEs in the USA. The GCSE videos on the website are made for UK students.

EDIT: my bad, misunderstood. I think you should just take from the Khan Academy website the things that you are supposed to be studying for your GCSE. You can find the specifications online; there's no need to study all this extra stuff
I think that's a really good idea, just where can I find the specification? I checked the Edexcel website but it goes into ever so minute detail-is that the one?
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that's a really good idea, just where can I find the specification? I checked the Edexcel website but it goes into ever so minute detail-is that the one?
Here are the specifications for Edexcel Chemistry and Physics. It might seem overwhelming at first, but if you use the contents and go to the page that says "subject content" - in the Chemistry one it is page 5 and the Physics one it is page 6, you will find everything you need to learn for each topic within the specifications. There's also some useful information about the exams in there, too.
studyyiing
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
Here are the specifications for Edexcel Chemistry and Physics. It might seem overwhelming at first, but if you use the contents and go to the page that says "subject content" - in the Chemistry one it is page 5 and the Physics one it is page 6, you will find everything you need to learn for each topic within the specifications. There's also some useful information about the exams in there, too.
Thank you so so much! I've just looked at it and realised that what I am learning is useful, it's just hard finding all the little bits of information! Also, do you know whether the combined syllabus is the same as the individual route one?
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so so much! I've just looked at it and realised that what I am learning is useful, it's just hard finding all the little bits of information! Also, do you know whether the combined syllabus is the same as the individual route one?
I'm not up to date with the new specification, but if you can find out which qualification you're working towards then you will know. Making assumptions from how science GCSEs worked a few years ago, I think this is how it works, but I could be wrong:
  • For the combined science one, students will learn biology, physics and chemistry (and might do exams for all three), but will only get a GCSE for "Combined Science".
  • For the other option, students will have to study biology, physics and chemistry, do exams for each one and get a grade for each one separately.

Since 2011, Edexcel's Science GCSEs had two routes:
  1. Mixed science (like the combined science in the new specification)
  2. Individual science

You should find out from your school whether you are studying combined science or individual science to clarify I think the individual science route has more content for each subject, although I'm not 100%.
Marcbarker345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What we have at my school is that if you do double (combined) science you Just get an overall grade and I think you do about 3 papers whereas in triple science (biology chemistry physics) I think you do 6 paper 2 for each but I couldn't guarantee this but I do know that triple get their individual grades for the individual subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads