Transferring uni after Aston mechanical engineering foundation year

Watch this thread
FlowaPowa
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am considering studying this foundation year but I would like to know if anyone has had any experience or has any information on transferring uni after the year.

Which unis accept the FY from Aston?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Very few people transfer after their foundation year from any uni. You would have to ask other unis what they would ask for in their offer.
beemergangm123
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FlowaPowa)
Hi,

I am considering studying this foundation year but I would like to know if anyone has had any experience or has any information on transferring uni after the year.

I have done a foundation year at bradford and just got my results. I contacted notts and leeds and got offers for both. (via ucas)
so u can transfer but have to contact uni u wanna go to and see if they accept your course.
I would say aston is better than bradford so you have a good chance at transferring to a better uni
FlowaPowa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by adam_2198)
I have done a foundation year at bradford and just got my results. I contacted notts and leeds and got offers for both. (via ucas)
so u can transfer but have to contact uni u wanna go to and see if they accept your course.
I would say aston is better than bradford so you have a good chance at transferring to a better uni
That's amazing, congrats! What kind of offer conditions did they have for Bradford/what were your results and did they look at your a-levels at all?
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Fairly common for someone to transfer after a foundation to a 'better' uni. My flatmate at Swansea was doing the foundation year in engineering and now has offers for aerospace at Leeds and Nottingham.

The process is the same as any other transfer: contact the uni to see if they accept foundation year transfers, then set-up a ucas and fill it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
beemergangm123
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
That's amazing, congrats! What kind of offer conditions did they have for Bradford/what were your results and did they look at your a-levels at all?
notts-70%overall, 70% in maths
leeds- 75% overall , 75% in maths and either physics and chem
(Although for u, most likely 75% in maths and physics cos ur doing mechanical, im doing chemical)
i got b in eco , c in chem and e in physics for alevels.
if u have BBB for alevels then u can apply for manchester which would be the best uni u could get into.
beemergangm123
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I contacted notts in october and emailed them alot to get them to see if i could transfer so remember to contact whichever uni u want to go to this autumn. Also send ur UCAS off before the deadline in january.
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

You might find this thread useful:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sara_t
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Many universities would accept the foundation year. HOWEVER, you would still need to meet their A-level requirements (no matter what mark for the year) for the degree you were applying for. They will also ask for a certain percentage on your foundation year. The more prestigious the uni, the higher the a-level grades and foundation year mark required (as expected).
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sara_t)
Many universities would accept the foundation year. HOWEVER, you would still need to meet their A-level requirements (no matter what mark for the year) for the degree you were applying for. They will also ask for a certain percentage on your foundation year. The more prestigious the uni, the higher the a-level grades and foundation year mark required (as expected).
Source? I think you are thinking of BTECs, and a few universities that also ask for Maths A-level (including Cambridge). By no means "many".

For example, it worked out ok for this student - transferred to Durham.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2122378
Helloworld_95
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No, that makes no sense and defeats the point of a foundation year. They will make an offer based upon your foundation year marks and nothing more.
username738914
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Well, no, because the foundation year IS the entry qualification. This is only the case for transfers from year 1 to year 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sara_t
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Source? I think you are thinking of BTECs, and a few universities that also ask for Maths A-level (including Cambridge). By no means "many".

For example, it worked out ok for this student - transferred to Durham.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2122378
I did a foundation year at aston this year and was looking to transfer. This is what I was told directly by unis such as Birmingham, Leeds and Imperial. The same was said to others on my course.
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I did a foundation year at aston this year and was looking to transfer. This is what I was told directly by unis such as Birmingham, Leeds and Imperial. The same was said to others on my course.
Hmm, I can understand Imperial but tbh I'm surprised by Birmingham, Leeds...

OP sounds like you need to double-check with any targets in advance.
Sara_t
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Well, no, because the foundation year IS the entry qualification. This is only the case for transfers from year 1 to year 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound like you don't know what you're talking about. Yes the foundation year at aston is an entry qualification, but for other relevent degrees at aston where your A-levels are inadequate (i've just finished a foundation year at Aston).
Me and others on my course contacted universities directly and were told what I have said. A higher level institution will not ignore bad A-levels in favour of a foundation year. They require good marks in both.
Sara_t
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
No, that makes no sense and defeats the point of a foundation year. They will make an offer based upon your foundation year marks and nothing more.
Please see my other responses on this thread. I'm tired of repeating myself.
Sara_t
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Hmm, I can understand Imperial but tbh I'm surprised by Birmingham, Leeds...

OP sounds like you need to double-check with any targets in advance.
Yep, admissions at Birmingham emailed back asking for a specific foundation year mark and at least BBB at A-level (ABB if you did all non science subjects). They recommended that I retake my A-levels if I wanted to transfer.
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yep, admissions at Birmingham emailed back asking for a specific foundation year mark and at least BBB at A-level (ABB if you did all non science subjects). They recommended that I retake my A-levels if I wanted to transfer.
Interesting. and thanks.
username738914
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You sound like you don't know what you're talking about. Yes the foundation year at aston is an entry qualification, but for other relevent degrees at aston where your A-levels are inadequate (i've just finished a foundation year at Aston).
Me and others on my course contacted universities directly and were told what I have said. A higher level institution will not ignore bad A-levels in favour of a foundation year. They require good marks in both.
Fair enough.

First time I've ever heard of that though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloworld_95
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Interesting, my guess would be that either those unis are special cases or Aston's foundation year has a particularly bad rep. I've seen plenty of people get offers purely based on their foundation year results from Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton, Notts, pretty sure I've heard it from Leeds too. I'm not surprised to hear that Imperial rejected it though.

Thinking about it, my guess is they don't accept top up foundation years, only conversion foundation years given what you said about Birmingham's A level requirements.

Also as a tip you can quote multiple people at the same time using the +" button.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.36%

Watched Threads