MessedUpOoops
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can someone who got a grade E in the end of year 12 mock go to a grade C at the end of year 13?

(Subject is Biology)
(Subject is linear so all exams at the end of year 13)
φM23
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MessedUpOoops)
Can someone who got a grade E in the end of year 12 mock go to a grade C at the end of year 13?

(Subject is Biology)
If you work hard enough then yes.
manishahjee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a E aswell. But did well enough to get B atleast year 13
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah you were probs either not trying in year 12 or werent revising in an optimal way. More likely the second one otehrwaise i question why u chose biology :P

Buy a revision guide, make notes and do a variety of stuff with those notes. Whether that's sticking them in places around the house to remember them (wierd but apparantly can work) or just writing notes u dont already remember off by heart then memorising them. Do what it takes to learn them
fayeb1999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

(Subject is Biology)
I was in the same situation and decided to stick with it and get As/Bs in end of topic tests in classes. It depends on how much effort and time you put in really. I started revising very early for the year 13 exams and still found the exams quite challenging, it's definitely not easy. Make sure you get a decent revision guide (CGP), know your specification and do as many past paper questions as early on as possible. It's worth it for exam technique and also learn maths skills as these are beginning to feature heavily in the exams now.
Mirele
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it is possible. That's 2 grade leaps which is absolutely doable but it will take work. I don't know much about biology but I've done 2 grade leaps for my french.

What areas do you struggle in? Is exam technique a significant problem for you? Is it vocab, science in practice, memory, or being able to put ideas together? All of that requires different techniques. If it is possible, try and get a tutor, even just for 2-3 sessions to perhaps go over exam problems you've had or to prepare you for next year.

Read ahead in the textbook before every lesson. That means you can go in with an idea of what's going on so you can focus on the real problem areas - you aren't spending as much time struggling and spending time over something you can sort out with basic revision or spending time on, but instead on things that even if you spend an hour on, you aren't going to get.

I don't know how your school day works, but if possible, dedicate at least 1 in school hours to biology per week. That's in school - it can be revising on a website, doing exam papers open book, making Flashcards, writing up a summary of a textbook section, drawing diagrams, writing a summary of the lesson, making a mind map of a topic, reading an academic or non-academic article on the subject online...this should be separate from homework, revision or whatever. Just try and do it in school or college or a library. 1 hour doesn't seem much but having an hour which isn't about homework means that you aren't playing catch up and can focus on preparation and on developing the skills for next time.

What work are you doing right now? Do you think you've been working hard enough - just not effectively - or need to work more or need specific help when working?
MessedUpOoops
Rep:
?
(Original post by manishahjee)
I got a E aswell. But did well enough to get B atleast year 13

Howww? What worked for you?
MessedUpOoops
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mirele)
What work are you doing right now? Do you think you've been working hard enough - just not effectively - or need to work more or need specific help when working?

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely be giving it a shot in year 13! I feel like i've covered the content decently (definitely could be improved) however i drop silly marks because I havent used the key term or used a specific example etc.

Exam technique is 100% an issue but also need to still find my way to revise because I havent found it yet lol. But very motivated to succeed after that E -_-
MessedUpOoops
Rep:
?
(Original post by fayeb1999)
I was in the same situation and decided to stick with it and get As/Bs in end of topic tests in classes. It depends on how much effort and time you put in really. I started revising very early for the year 13 exams and still found the exams quite challenging, it's definitely not easy. Make sure you get a decent revision guide (CGP), know your specification and do as many past paper questions as early on as possible. It's worth it for exam technique and also learn maths skills as these are beginning to feature heavily in the exams now.
Yes totally agree with you regarding the exam papers and early revision. Also extremely motivated knowing someone else did it Will smash the AS content this summer and have a fresh start at A2 and really engage in lessons
MessedUpOoops
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toasticide)
yeah you were probs either not trying in year 12 or werent revising in an optimal way. More likely the second one otehrwaise i question why u chose biology :P

Buy a revision guide, make notes and do a variety of stuff with those notes. Whether that's sticking them in places around the house to remember them (wierd but apparantly can work) or just writing notes u dont already remember off by heart then memorising them. Do what it takes to learn them
Literally me -_- I actually just read the book and hoped I learnt it.. Somehow got an E.. I feel like exam technique is an issue though as I drop lots of marks for not using key terminology. However, if i actually revised properly using notes im sure i would have remembered :/
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Literally me -_- I actually just read the book and hoped I learnt it.. Somehow got an E.. I feel like exam technique is an issue though as I drop lots of marks for not using key terminology. However, if i actually revised properly using notes im sure i would have remembered :/
at least its linear so u can fix ur mistakes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads