EPQ - history and politics

Watch this thread
nancy157
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i'm starting the epq which is basically a mini dissertation up to 5,000 words to help with uni offers etc. ~I know 100% i want to do history and politcs at uni so want to do one in this field either combining or either or but preffereably history or both. Initial ideas were something to do with Corbyn or East Germany, Thatcher's Britain. The topics at a level we do whih i want to steer away from are Germany 1918-89, Itlay 1911-46 and protest and prlimentary reform 1750-1915.

ANy ideas would be much appreciated
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nancy157)
i'm starting the epq which is basically a mini dissertation up to 5,000 words to help with uni offers etc. ~I know 100% i want to do history and politcs at uni so want to do one in this field either combining or either or but preffereably history or both. Initial ideas were something to do with Corbyn or East Germany, Thatcher's Britain. The topics at a level we do whih i want to steer away from are Germany 1918-89, Itlay 1911-46 and protest and prlimentary reform 1750-1915.

ANy ideas would be much appreciated
You need to do more research to generate ideas?

With Corbyn you have the idea he has integrity and the bits i find interesting is he offers very left wing old fashioned policies and they seem to have gone down well. You also have the fact he is a pacifist. Is there any room for such a person? What has history shown us and will he succeed?

With E Germany its problematic because you cant cover prior to 89 which ofc is part of E Germany. You could do something reunification and how easily its become a single Germany again or are there still big ideological differences?

thatcher I think its something about legacy and whether she was before her time, respected now or the extent to which she is a divisive figure.

just research and ideas will come up. It has to be something that you fnd interesting and you can fit nicely into an EPQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
The Middle East is an interesting one. You can go back to the empire days, drawing the boarders, the revolutions in Syria, Iraq and Iran, their spillovers (e.g rise in militias/terrorism against Saddam backed by Iran), the gulf wars, the Iraq war and to today, the Syrian civil war and its spillover. I find this one interesting because it links in with Russia, America and the UK. The history is also heavily relevant to politics today and I think it'd be a great topic, depending on what you pick you can link to the Ottoman Empire, the British empire/U.K., Soviet Union/Russia, Israel/Palestine, America, today's terrorist 'epidemic', Religion, Arab nationalism, plenty of things and it's all relevant today. By far one of the most fascinating topics in history and politics in my opinion.

If that isn't something you want to do, I'm not sure what you could do about Corbyn... to be honest, he hasn't got an interesting story.. he's just an activist that made it far, but In opposition he'll be nothing more than an activist, he doesn't propose a vision of an alternative govenremt. I hope you're not into politics just because of him.

If you want to do Thatcher you'd probably have to go into economics for the history and politics of her and her time to get an interesting story which personally I'd also enjoy. Or You could do something on the fall of the Berlin Wall/end of the Soviet Union. That would link nicely to America, the U.K, Europe, E. Germany, and Russia/SU ofc.
RedDaenerys
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
The only advice I can give is to look at the first year course content of the history/politics course that you'd like to study and maybe pick a topic from here. It shows that you're interested in the subject and it may be more beneficial when applying to particular institutions. Avoid any topics that are linked to your current A level studies.
Like others have advised, I'd also avoid Corbyn. Middle East, China, Latin America could be interesting!
Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (17)
18.48%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (31)
33.7%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.43%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.17%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.78%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.57%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.52%

Watched Threads