The Student Room Group

TA or UOTC?

I want to become an officer in the British Army (preferably infantry), and was wondering if I would I would be able to join the TA or UOTC whilst at university? Also, would the TA or UOTC provide better skills for when I become an officer?
Reply 1
Original post by azy5
I want to become an officer in the British Army (preferably infantry), and was wondering if I would I would be able to join the TA or UOTC whilst at university? Also, would the TA or UOTC provide better skills for when I become an officer?

It depends on whether your particular UOTC pays I'd guess. UOTC is great for experience, and you'll have links with particular branches, which is useful later on.
Reply 2
Hello,

If you are looking at a career in the military then I would say definitely join the UOTC whilst at university. You get to experience the green side of the army, compete in sports and conduct various training exercises abroad and in the UK! Adventurous Training is also a big pull of the UOTC and you get the oppurtuinites to gain ski, parachuting, mountain and climbing qualifications for example. Furthermore you can organise visits to various units you are interested in joining to see whats available and help decide what you want to join.

Skills wise, the UOTC helps develop your leadership potential, management skills and helps build self confidence. If you are looking at joining the military: the unit will guide you through the officer selection process as well.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending