Should I call the police?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I ordered a meal in and the delivery guy came to my house at 6.55 and when he came the neighbours white dog came within a metre of him and kept barking very aggressively.

He seemed slightly concerned and I was concerned too.

He didn't stop barking aggressively right by him and all the neighbours daugjter could do is watch and she didn't do nothing and there was two other guys by the big black car watching as the dog aggressively barks to him.

They didn't do nothing...the dog could have aggressively bitten us and they were just looking doing nothing.

I was very concerned the dog was going to bite us yet the neighbours was not concerned.
Elvis Presley
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Did it bite?
Ally-mai
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Maybe call the non-emergency number, so if anything happens in the future you're on record as having reported it? (I'd also record the call just in case.)
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Dogs are meant to bark. It's what they do. Some dogs can be very nervous around strangers, especially ones who have been abused in the past. If the dog didn't attack you then why would you waste valuable police time over it?
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The neighbours were probably not concerned because they know their dog better than you and believe it wouldn't have bitten anyone. My dog barks really aggressively when anyone comes to the door, but would never bite anyone. When she sees them she just wants to look to see what's happening.

Sometimes new people are just a shock to dogs. It doesn't mean they're dangerous.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I ordered a meal in and the delivery guy came to my house at 6.55 and when he came the neighbours white dog came within a metre of him and kept barking very aggressively.

He seemed slightly concerned and I was concerned too.

He didn't stop barking aggressively right by him and all the neighbours daugjter could do is watch and she didn't do nothing and there was two other guys by the big black car watching as the dog aggressively barks to him.

They didn't do nothing...the dog could have aggressively bitten us and they were just looking doing nothing.

I was very concerned the dog was going to bite us yet the neighbours was not concerned.
Was the dog on your property?
Has it gone now?

If it threatens you or you see it being on the loose and a pest, then you can either call the police or the RSPCA.

You are going to start a neighbour dispute though and they are a lot worse than a braking dog. Think carefully before you hit the nuclear button.
nic0lar
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If it didn't bite anyone then the police probably won't do anything. If you're worried the dog is being mistreated or the owners are allowing aggressive behaviour then maybe call the RSPCA
mercuryman
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amefish)
The neighbours were probably not concerned because they know their dog better than you and believe it wouldn't have bitten anyone. My dog barks really aggressively when anyone comes to the door, but would never bite anyone. When she sees them she just wants to look to see what's happening.

Sometimes new people are just a shock to dogs. It doesn't mean they're dangerous.
Any normal person would feel concerned about a dog behaving like that in front of them, why are you getting so defensive for :sigh:
Amefish
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mercuryman)
Any normal person would feel concerned about a dog behaving like that in front of them, why are you getting so defensive for :sigh:
I'm getting defensive because I've got a German Shepherd and a case like this could have serious implications for my dog and my family due to the connotation of GSDs being dangerous.

Dogs bark, it's what they do. If the owners thought the dog was going to hurt/attack the OP then I'm sure they would've intervened. Lots of dogs get scared or nervous when introduced to new people - it doesn't mean they would hurt them.

I've been attacked by a dog before, it doesn't mean I report random dogs to the police for being scared, territorial, nervous, when they have not posed a serious threat
nic0lar
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm getting defensive because I've got a German Shepherd and a case like this could have serious implications for my dog and my family due to the connotation of GSDs being dangerous.

Dogs bark, it's what they do. If the owners thought the dog was going to hurt/attack the OP then I'm sure they would've intervened. Lots of dogs get scared or nervous when introduced to new people - it doesn't mean they would hurt them.

I've been attacked by a dog before, it doesn't mean I report random dogs to the police for being scared, territorial, nervous, when they have not posed a serious threat
True, my dog barks EVERY time someone knocks on the door, but as soon as she has gone to see them she is fine.

I've been bit on my face by a dog before so i can understand being scared of barking, and if that was my dog i would have called them back, but i do think calling the police is serious as it can lead to unfair consequences for the dog.
sek510i
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Could you try asking your neighbours about it a bit more casually first? It doesn't sound like it's actually done anything, so unless you have more widespread concerns about its behaviour or welfare, the police probably wouldn't (be able to) do much.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

I dont think it is so easy to tell when this is going to happen, it would just happen, which would already be too late. One of my friends was attacked by their dog, had him for years and one day he just attacked him while he was a sleep, by attacked I mean he ended up with a few stitches on he's face.
Why should we have to rely on the owners magical dog attack senses?
- I've had a GS before, it is cases like this which can have serious complications, wouldnt you rather irresponsible owners be reported for their actions rather than it being put down to the dog?
Mr Optimist
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Did you express your concern to your neighbour in any way? You could have mockingly said 'it's not going to bite is it'? and seen their reaction. Given that they were blase about it could mean the dog's usual attitude is to bark at strangers. This is not exactly a rare thing. Now if the dog was actively trying to attack and the neighbours still did not do anything then you'd certainly have a good case to report. As things stand, if you contact the police I am not sure what they will do. Police deal with criminal matters and don't quote me, but this is still a civil matter given it's just barking. If you really want to be sure, you can just contact a non-emergency police line and ask.
FernionEw
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ye call them
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads